2.5" Skyjacker Blackmax lift question...need your guys help/advice

mxracer1983

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
So I have a 2022 JLU Sport S. I found a new in box 2.5" Skyjacker Blackmax lift for $250. It's for a Rubicon model. My mechanic said that the sway bar links are little longer but otherwise it would work. I went ahead and bought Skyjacker front and rear adjustable track bars and adjustable front LCAs. After the install, I noticed that it does stand a little taller than I expected from a 2.5" lift...which I'm okay with. My mechanic said he has the caster adjusted to 5⁰. I have a slight shimmy between 40-50mph. He told me to bring it back in and he'd check the tire balance again. I have seen some of you guys saying that JLs are finicky about caster and some have went as much as 6⁰. Would the shimmy have anything to do with the caster? I adjusted the psi down in my tires down to 30lbs and that helped the steering flightiness a bit but still have the shimmy.

Also, I called Skyjacker and told them the situation. The tech was VERY adamant that a rubi lift wouldn't work on a sport s because it would throw the geometry off. I told him that I bought adjustable components to correct the geometry but he still insisted that it wouldn't work. I realize that the springs may be slightly taller along with the sway bar links but shouldn't everything "fit" a Sport S? He did tell me to adjust the LCAs to 24.25" as a starting point for caster adjustment. Any tips, advice, and pointers would be appreciated! Thanks guys!
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Probably tire balance as your guy mentioned.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It would stand taller than expected since all lifts are measured off rubicons anyways. Add another 1.5”-ish to figure out where your sport height would be.

Adjustable LCAs should fix your caster issues and I’d go somewhere between 5.5-6. Tech at skyjacker has no clue what they’re talking about unless they got some secret sauce in their lift no one else does.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I did look at the SJ site to make sure the shocks are the same. Looks like they have the same PNs listed Rubi and Non-Rubi on their shock selection, so shouldn't be a difference.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Many reps have no idea what they are talking about. The lift will work on any JL, the only difference would be ride height. I light 2dr with plastic bumpers might see 4” of lift out of it where a heavy diesel built with skids/bumpers/sliders/ winch etc might only see an inch or 2. Otherwise they are all the same. I prefer caster in the mid 6° range. That should help the shimmy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mxracer1983

mxracer1983

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Thanks guys. I was pretty certain he was full of crap but just wanted to confirm it haha We are gonna check the balance of my tires on Friday. I went with 35x12.50x17 Kanati Trail Hogs. I love the look of them but being a somewhat cheaper tire, I hope they're not a waste of money. I haven't read too many negatives about them so I hope that a weight came off or some other easy fix.

I've just started but here's how she looks so far...
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" Skyjacker Blackmax lift question...need your guys help/advice 20230512_124229
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" Skyjacker Blackmax lift question...need your guys help/advice 20230512_124220

bhal212

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S - Gecko
I'm in the same boat, my wife has a 21 unlimited sport S Diesel, and we found someone selling the exact lift for Rubicons. From what I read, ordering adjustable lca's should be all we need to make it work?
Sponsored