Sponsored

2.0L Long High Idle

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm wondering if anyone else's 2.0L Wrangler has an unusually long high idle at start up. Mine idles at around 1600 rpm at start up for at least 90 seconds before idling down to around 1100. This is regardless of temperature. I can drive 50 miles, shut the Jeep off for 10 minutes and it will do the same thing when I start it again. It's almost like the idle setting is based on time instead of operating temperatures.
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I'm wondering if anyone else's 2.0L Wrangler has an unusually long high idle at start up. Mine idles at around 1600 rpm at start up for at least 90 seconds before idling down to around 1100. This is regardless of temperature. I can drive 50 miles, shut the Jeep off for 10 minutes and it will do the same thing when I start it again. It's almost like the idle setting is based on time instead of operating temperatures.
Mine definitely does it cold. I timed it once and it was about 90 seconds. I haven't noticed it after it's been driven.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
My 2.0 idles high at cold start up as well. But like @IronScott I haven't noticed it when started up warm either.

OP
OP

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you guys think that a 90 second high idle is excessive, especially on a warm morning? I plan on asking my dealer's service manager about it but wanted to hear some other owner experiences first.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Its for emissions. The computer is programmed to run them high and lean to get the engine, cats and O2 sensors up to temp faster.

The faster the system gets into closed loop the better for the earth

Sponsored

OP
OP

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its for emissions. The computer is programmed to run them high and lean to get the engine, cats and O2 sensors up to temp faster.

The faster the system gets into closed loop the better for the earth
That seems to be counterproductive since I was always told that driving a modern vehicle between 30 and 60 seconds after startup was the quickest way to get everything up to temp. I'm a little afraid to shift out of park while it's still high idling.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, and running a motor lean is not great for long term durability either.

A good friend of mine is a tuner/engineer and most manufactures are doing it. On my Colorado he actual deleted that program from the PCM.

White2019Rubicon

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I've noticed that My 2019 JLU Rubicon does the same thing. Question is should we wait until it drops or just carry on and put it into R or D?

Thanks

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
No reason to wait unless you want to. Nothing in the Manual about it, once you have good oil pressure it is safe to drive off.
Sponsored