Idle RPM at startup

Crumpert

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Maybe I’m just dumb, but what's the point of the engine idling at well over 1k rpms for a min. or two after you start? Is that just to get it to operating temp quicker? I have a ’19 JLUR with the 2.0L. Doesn’t really cause an issue other than if you start it and want to go right away it really wants to get moving since it’s idling that fast. Just a quirk that I find kind of annoying.
Sponsored

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
That's exactly what it's for - to get it warmed up. As far as I know all cars produced over the last 30 years do it. The catalytic converters don't work unless they're hot.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You should try it when you have it in 4-Low, I had to push the brake as hard as I could to keep it from moving.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Old cars you would push the gas to the floor and release to close/set the choke and give a squirt of fuel for cold starts. Choke makes fuel mixture rich by reducing air in mixture instead of adding fuel like modern cars. You had to let the engine warm up more or when you touch the gas pedal the choke would release and stall if not warmed up enough.

Modern cars increase fuel flow when cold starting instead of reducing air flow to get a richer mixture. Letting your modern car warm up a lot washes the cylinder walls with excess fuel reducing lubrication. Upside is modern injected cars won't stall if you let it warm up a minute and go. Drive easy for 5-10 minutes and it warms up quicker and reduces wear.

I also turn the defroster on low as soon as started so the windshield warms up slowly. I have had rock chips in the past that turned into cracks due to hitting the cold windshield with hot air suddenly.
Sponsored