2.0 Oil Change

Cwalters2002

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl wrangler unlimited sport s
want to do an oil change early on in the motors life and before the service department at the Jeep dealer would recommend the change. Anyone know of a decent video showing the easiest way of doing the oils change in the 2.0 motor? Found a lot on the 3.6 but nothing on the he 2.0.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
What other FCA vehicles is this engine being used in? Alfa Romeo, Cherokee?

Maybe you can find a video on a different model. Still fairly new so you might be the first to make a video.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
With any direct injection, forced induction engine it is a good idea to do 5,000 mile intervals. Long extended intervals can promote even more carbon buildup on valves and issues with the turbo if it's an oil cooled unit. BMW found that out the hard way with their long spec'd intervals on the MINI 4-cyl turbo engines and the engine failures they were having to deal with near the end of the warranty period. Ford found that out the hard way with the EcoBoost engines that needed full induction and valve cleanings near the end of warranty period, as well as repeated timing set failures.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
With any direct injection, forced induction engine it is a good idea to do 5,000 mile intervals. Long extended intervals can promote even more carbon buildup on valves and issues with the turbo if it's an oil cooled unit. BMW found that out the hard way with their long spec'd intervals on the MINI 4-cyl turbo engines and the engine failures they were having to deal with near the end of the warranty period. Ford found that out the hard way with the EcoBoost engines that needed full induction and valve cleanings near the end of warranty period, as well as repeated timing set failures.
A lot of direct injection engines face the carbon problem. BMW/MINI bought and used a LOT of crushed walnut shells to blast the carbon out of the intakes. I owned a few different MINIs. My old 2009 Cooper S had 1/4" thick pancake of carbon on the pistons by 30K miles. Fun cars but questionable engineering and longevity.

Sponsored

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
want to do an oil change early on in the motors life and before the service department at the Jeep dealer would recommend the change. Anyone know of a decent video showing the easiest way of doing the oils change in the 2.0 motor? Found a lot on the 3.6 but nothing on the he 2.0.
Dealership will still do an oil change even if its before the recommended interval. It will count against your "free oil changes" but having the dealer do it will prevent any possibility of warranty issues down the road.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the 2.0 already come with oil catch can by the looks of pcv/ccv valves by the air intake box
No I don't think there is any manufacturer that includes a catch can from the factory. Too much of an environment issue.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Dealership will still do an oil change even if its before the recommended interval. It will count against your "free oil changes" but having the dealer do it will prevent any possibility of warranty issues down the road.
It is nonsensical to think that having the dealership do your oil changes is a must to maintain your warranty or that you would not have warranty coverage if you changed your own oil. Again nonsensical at best.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Roll under your jeep on a creeper. The oil pan plug and the filter are right next to each other. Pull plug, remove filter. Wipe a little oil on new filter seal and install as tight as possible by hand. install drain plug. Fill with 5 Qts 5-30 SN+ oil.. Reset oil life gauge/display. Did mine at 4K.

Sponsored

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
It is nonsensical to think that having the dealership do your oil changes is a must to maintain your warranty or that you would not have warranty coverage if you changed your own oil. Again nonsensical at best.
I never said it was a must. I only mentioned the warranty because there was slightest inference that the dealership might not want to do the oil change because it wasnt due yet. This type of service department(that is dodging simple maintenance) is the type to nit pick anything & everything when it comes down to actual warranty work.

The biggest reason i suggested the dealership doing it is because of the Free oil changes.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Watch "Is AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil better than Mobil 1? Let's find out!" on YouTube
That's pretty impressive. I've always been a fan of mobile 1 full synthetic. However even though the Mobile 1 beats Amazon on the film strength by a very narrow margin, it also looked like that the Mobile 1 had more in the cup on the bearing test, while the others wheel was barely touching the oil, the Mobile 1 seemed to be further submerged. I'd like to see that test ran again. Either way, as close as that test was and being a fan of Mobile 1. I'm thinking of using the Amazon oil now. Especially at the price.

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm not sure if it still holds true ,but it used to be that Amsoil blew every other competitor out of the water. it was the first full synthetic and from the testing back in the day mobile one cannot even compete. I had a friend of mine who approximately 3 years ago took a torch to a quarter inch stainless steel plate .he put a drop of Amsoil oil and a drop of mobile one ull synthetic and heated it up. the mobile one bubble and turned into a cloud of smoke ,the Amsoil just kept boiling and boiling and boiling didn't even change color. So he throws the piece of scrap in the yard, comes back at the end of the winter and there's one kind of drip mark where he had the Amsoil .the stainless steel looked brand new, the Mobil one spot was all rusted. pretty damn good test that he tried in his backyard LOL

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Anyone with 2.0L JL got their oil change done at a dealership, and was it done properly?
Sponsored