First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler 2door 6 speed
Occupation
Contractor
I was wondering if you should use premium fuel in the 2.0 turbo etorque. I just bought mine 14k cpo. In it for the long haul , so longevity is my main concern.
Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
From the 2018 manual-
"This engine is designed to meet all emission regulations, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having a posted octane number of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. For optimal performance the use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is recommended in these engines."

I use only premium in my 2.0 eTorque, but it's not a daily driver, so performance and not cost is my primary focus. Pretty sure octane will have no impact on longevity, as long as the knock sensors are functioning okay to retard timing in the event of pre-detonation that may come with using lower octane fuel. If you hear knocking, especially on acceleration, use a higher octane fuel.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
The owners manual states premium is preferred, but the engine will run on regular. I only run regular in mine and you can see my hand calc'd average below....regular runs good for me. However, if I was towing or running hard in very hot weather, I would change to premium.

As far as longetivity goes, I think that's a question you have to answer for yourself based on your useage. I do not drive mine hard, I do not tow, so it's my opinion that I am doing no damage by using regular. But, your driving style and needs should dictate which grade works for you.

As an afterthought, we have 87 octane here. If I was in a mountain state that has 85 octane regular, I would use mid grade at 87 octane.

My opinion of course.....

Crap, made my post at the same time as the post above...

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I was wondering if you should use premium fuel in the 2.0 turbo etorque. I just bought mine 14k cpo. In it for the long haul , so longevity is my main concern.
Per Dave's point above, engines that can run on both usually advance the timing, for more power, when no detonation is detected.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I like power and squeezing all that I paid for out of it for a full experience. I use premium.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We have always run premium, at 28k trouble free miles thus far. We also run it pretty hard, on 37’s and frequently see elevations above 9k feet. It isn’t necessary and likely won’t help longevity, but extra power is never a bad thing. Jeep doesn’t specify numbers, but Mazda literally rates their turbo 4 cylinder at 50 extra ftlbs of torque on premium fuel. If the difference is even half that in our Jeeps, it is well worth a few bucks at the pump.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I am one of those believers in "If it is turbo charged, run it on premium."

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I only use 93 from tier 1 stations, usually Mobil. I'm a firm believer in high quality oil and fuel being the best way to promote longevity, while also avoiding carbon build up.
Sponsored