L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
Hey all,

This weekend I rented a JLU Sahara and it's really the first time I've ever driven a Wrangler for any significant amount of time. I really, really liked it. A lot! I definitely want one.

Things I really like: Strong acceleration, it's quieter than I expected (the rental had a hard top), the dashboard, handling on the highway (it handles bumps, dips, etc., at high speed without any drama), built-in Apple CarPlay, and being able to take the front roof off.

The gripes: Everyone seems to rave about the 8-speed ZF transmission. I didn't care for it. It's too slow to upshift upon letting off the gas. Also, I drove the Jeep, uh, spiritedly, and I got 13.8 MPG. Ouch! I thought my 4Runner was a MPG pig but the Jeep really sucked down the petrol. I used 7.25 gallons to drive 100 miles. Lastly, even the 7" UConnect screen is a bit hard to read directions on (for those of us who need reading glasses). Seems like the 8" screen is the only one to get but then you have to buy the higher models to get it (not available on any Sport models...grrrr). I started pricing a Jeep last night and man they don't give 'em away do they? But, I digress as that's a topic for another thread. Hopefully someday I'll join the ranks of the owners of a JLU.
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps are certainly not a cheap vehicle anymore. However, this model is quite a departure in as far as interior creature comfort, and quality. This is my first jeep, and I'm very happy with it, having driven BMW's for the last 15 years or so almost exclusively. I specifically waited for the JL to be released, and purchased mine in October of 2018. I have the Rubicon, so it's somewhat different, in certain ways from the Sahara as I'm sure you've discovered.

As for the ZF-8 speed, I'm very pleased with the way that it's been manufactured and programmed by FCA. It seems to behave well and isn't too much of a departure of the ZF-8 speed (ZF Built, vs Chrysler, licensed and built trannies in the FCA vehicles) in my BMW's over the years. It's a very good tranny, and I've been very happy with the Jeep overall. I do not have any complaints regarding drivability of the vehicle, including the way the transmission shifts, up or down. If you want to feel a lazy transmission, drive any modern GM truck, then you'll know what it is to have a lazy transmission.

For sure these things can suck gas. I live here in the west, so we are also subject to high highway speeds, and also high winds. So fuel MPG can take a big toll. I actually don't drive mine that fasts, I'm usually around 65 or 70 depending on the highway.

I can't say for sure, as I specifically wanted the 8.4 Uconnect, vs any of the others -- mainly due to the fact that I need to wear glasses to read now. Anyhow, I can use the 8.4 without glasses, so I'm very happy with it. The operation of the system is a little quirky in that it reboots sometimes, but otherwise, it seems to well developed, and controls seem to be thought out.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I have had mine for just over 2 weeks. First Wrangler ever. I also have mixed feelings about the auto. Sometimes it's very smooth, but some times I can feel the shifts more so than I thought I should. I also have a newer Tacoma and that transmission is very smooth, although programmed very poorly from factory (likes to run around 1200 rpm all the time which makes the truck feel amazingly gutless).

Anyways, first few days I was getting poor mileage too as I has doing a proper hard break in of the engine ;)

Once you take it easy on the daily commutes mileage is great. I am getting around 22-23 mpg driving in the city. Took doors and roof off this weekend for the first time. Was a blast.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
You'd be surprised at the mileage you can get once you lay off the accelerator pedal. I get around 21-22 according to the computer, and I just started using fuelly so that will be updated sometime soon.

I find the 8 speed to be a great step up from the 5 speed I used to have in my Ram 1500. That being said if you want super smooth shifts then a CVT equipped vehicle would be your best choice. As far as geared transmissions go, the ZF transmission is spectacular and probably one of the best autos I've ever driven.

Last edited:

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
The gas mileage you get is going to vary widely depending on how you drive. My wife likes to gun the accelerator a lot and averages about 17-18MPG on the highway. I just did a 500+ mile highway trip and averaged 25.1MPG in her V6-equipped JL Sport. I tend to drive the jeep in a much more relaxed way than I drive other vehicles. I'm probably getting better gas mileage in it than her 4 cylinder Buick we traded in, since I drove that thing like I hated it. :)

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with above that if driven without jack rabbit starts, and your foot in the pedal everywhere these Jeeps will get good mpg's for an off road built vehicle. My 3.6L with the 8 spd will get from 22-24 while cruising at 55 - 60 mpg's. Albeit that's on that perfect day with no bad weather, or head winds. I'm also in the camp that I feel the engine, and tranny do a great job working together. A Jeep Wrangler is completely different from any other vehicle on the road IMHO. After you get used to one I think you will really enjoy the ride.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
the 19 2 door sport jl is the first wrangler i own. i've been in a yj, tj. my last jeep was a 07 grand cherokee. so with that i am very happy with the jl especially a 2 door. (originally looked at a 4 door). the size is prefect the ride quality great .for me. the 3.6 8 sp auto is a great cobmo. i'm getting 18 mpg.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It sounds like the transmission on the one you drove hadn’t learned to shift properly. It was likely not broken in correctly and the tranny learned some bad habits. Mine is smooth as can be.
Sponsored