sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2018 JL
Hi guys,

Looking for recommendations of a good 12V fridge/freezer for my Rubicon. Will be used for bulk food purchases (moving down to BCS, Mexico, in 3 months) and would be in the car 4-5 hours with frozen and cold foods. Also, going camping totally off the electrical grid for 3-4 days. Great also if it can be locked, and locked down, in the vehicle! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I’ll give you our opinion. Full disclosure, I’m a dealer for them because I believe in the product so much.

Snomaster coolers are the “best” I’ve found. They have the longest compressor warranty and come standard with the most options like a travel cover, remote, bottle opener and have the dual temp capability. The US distributor is located in Austin. If you’re interested I can send you his info and I’m sure you could pick it up directly to save on shipping. We love ours, we have the classic 56, it’s 26l and 30l. Can be freezer/fridge, freezer/freezer or fridge/fridge. I bought the arb wiring kit and ran the wiring from the battery to the storage compartment in the cargo area. Had to get a different style 12v female plug to match the fridge but it was an extra $8.

Also installed an onboard battery charger. Been on the fence if we want dual battery or not but since I typically have access for power anytime longer than a day I can just plug the Jeep in.

Let me know if you’re interested in more pics or want more info. We are really happy with this set up

Brett

Last edited:
OP
OP
sten

sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll give you our opinion. Full disclosure, I’m a dealer for them because I believe in the product so much.

Snomaster coolers are the “best” I’ve found. They have the longest compressor warranty and come standard with the most options like a travel cover, remote, bottle opener and have the dual temp capability. The US distributor is located in Austin. If you’re interested I can send you his info and I’m sure you could pick it up directly to save on shipping. We love ours, we have the classic 56, it’s 26 qt and 30qt. Can be freezer/fridge, freezer/freezer or fridge/fridge. I bought the arb wiring kit and ran the wiring from the battery to the storage compartment in the cargo area. Had to get a different style 12v female plug to match the fridge but it was an extra $8.

Also installed an onboard battery charger. Been on the fence if we want dual battery or not but since I typically have access for power anytime longer than a day I can just plug the Jeep in.

Let me know if you’re interested in more pics or want more info. We are really happy with this set up

Brett
Yes, thanks that would be good. I can be reached at [email protected] Thanks!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, thanks that would be good. I can be reached at [email protected] Thanks!
Here’s some pics. The 56/60 is about the largest I would go that’ll still allow use of the tie downs too. I’ll email you

Brett

2C6AD49A-34DF-4128-83FE-6B5638123E2F.jpeg

13B319BB-0BA8-4550-86E6-1EEBBAD2CA60.jpeg

4FA82258-F74E-4A0F-89BF-774DA1A94C93.jpeg

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I think the one he is using is a 50ltr one, not quite sure. I have a 42l Snowmaster, and it fits in there next to the sub-woofer. There are many options now for 12v fridge freezers.

IMG_20180721_084809.jpg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the one he is using is a 50ltr one, not quite sure. I have a 42l Snowmaster, and it fits in there next to the sub-woofer. There are many options now for 12v fridge freezers.

IMG_20180721_084809.jpg
Yes we have the classic 56. It’s the smallest dual compartment they make. Yours looks great and love all the room you still have in the cargo area. How are you liking the snomaster?

Brett

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats nice but man it takes up all the rear cargo space. do they make a smaller one?
They make them from 12l to 95l I believe. Something to fit everyone’s size or use requirements. We were originally planning on an arb due to product name recognition and the specs of the extreme they have. After extensive studying up we decided to go with snomaster. So far we are happy as can be. We bought it Super Bowl Sunday and have been using it nearly non stop sense. Not a long time by any means but don’t expect any issues with it keeping temp in the Houston summer.

I’m not a forum sponsor so I won’t be selling them but would love to point you to my buddy Todd that is the North America distributor. Any questions please let me know.

Brett

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Snomaster, ARB, Engel, and Dometic are all great fridges. Each one has unique features so look them up and see which ones work well for you. If you need a fridge AND a freezer at the same time, the Engel combi can do that. Most others can be EITHER fridges or freezers, unless you get the really large units.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s one more picture of the dual lid for those that are interested in the capabilities to have a fridge and freezer. Any of the big guys build a great product!

Brett

0A476B76-5F23-435E-A653-6DC09E0B3B7C.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 35L Snomaster Leisure Series. It is awesome. It also doesn't take up the whole back of the Jeep and draws very little power. It has the best compressor warranty, even among the Snomaster line, at 7 years. It may be the single best mod I've done to the Jeep! When not in the Jeep, it is in my garage keeping things cold when working on the Jeeps.

OP
OP
sten

sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone! Some good research for me to do, with the first question; how big do I need???

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone! Some good research for me to do, with the first question; how big do I need???
If you want a dual lid so you can do freezer and fridge at the same time you’ll need a bigger one. Just have to decide what all you need to carry!

Brett

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on how many people you are feeding, for how long, and what you like to have. I went smaller. I keep some drinks cold, along with food, and as I take drinks out, I replace them with warm ones. Then, at the next stop, all are cold. I usually have drinks, lunch meat, condiments, cheese, candy bars, and other stuff in there. Think of it this way. Go look at a 35 liter cooler (37 quarts) That is exactly how much space you'll have, and remember, no need for ice or water taking up space. I'd say it is the equivalent of a 55 or 60 quart cooler with ice. The other great thing is that nothing gets soaked with water, so you don't have to worry about packing carefully to avoid ruining food. I was surprised at how much I could get into that fridge. When I'm on the trail, it is usually me and two to three kids. if it was just me and one passenger, I could have gone bigger because I'd have the seats folded down for gear and cargo. If I have 5 people in the Jeep and we're just out for a day, it holds more than enough drinks. I want to say at least 40 cans of soda.
Sponsored