Sponsored

Beach sand?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Is there urgency to rinsing the undercarriage after beach driving or is doing so every few months sufficient? NB: I have not done Fluid Film or anything else to the undercarriage yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotta get it all off instantly! Or else get ready for lots of rust
Please tell me that that reply was sarcastic. That would be very annoying to have to do every single time, especially at this time of year here when the temperature is so cold.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That's a bit of both. Obviously it doesn't have to be done instantly, but I wouldn't go for months without rinsing it off. Salt is a terrible catalyst for rust/corrosion. Basically salt draws moisture to itself, and the water expedites the oxidation of iron based metals.
So by leaving salt on the vehicle, you're speeding up the corrosion process. A few nights isn't likely to make a noticeable difference, but a few months probably will. Especially if you routinely go a few months without rinsing the salt off.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a bit of both. Obviously it doesn't have to be done instantly, but I wouldn't go for months without rinsing it off. Salt is a terrible catalyst for rust/corrosion. Basically salt draws moisture to itself, and the water expedites the oxidation of iron based metals.
So by leaving salt on the vehicle, you're speeding up the corrosion process. A few nights isn't likely to make a noticeable difference, but a few months probably will. Especially if you routinely go a few months without rinsing the salt off.
Gotcha, thanks

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Different areas are worse than others. Texas beach salt is horrific and you'll pay the price if you don't wash really good on the same day. You might get away with more time in other areas

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Different areas are worse than others. Texas beach salt is horrific and you'll pay the price if you don't wash really good on the same day. You might get away with more time in other areas
Why is the salt different in Texas than Florida, New Jersey, or California?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Gulf is shallower, higher salt content, especially the laguna madre, in top 6th saltiest lagoons on the planet
Same salt, higher concentration, that makes sense.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it's kinda crazy, even 316 surgical stainless rusts in this environment
Average sea water salinity 33 to 37 ppt
Laguna Madre 22 to 49 ppt, over later 30 years
Dead Sea 280 ppt

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Once salt has gotten up into all those crevices, it's almost impossible to flush out. You'll still see those tell- tale white crystals after what you thought was a good rinse, after it dries.
Chemically NEUTRALIZING the Salt is possible, check out "Salt-Away", developed for the aviation and marine industry. Available from West Marine, comes with a pre-mixer siphon for hose applications. I use this in the Spring, flush everything, no need to rinse, then have my JL "Rust Copped".

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Some anecdotal evidence/ personal experience to back it up:
I put my bumper on ~2 weeks before vacation this summer. It came bare steel and in great condition. I wiped it down and sprayed it after work one morning. I thought I did an OK job. when we went to install, I found out I missed areas (because I was half asleep), so, we had to do some touch up before putting it on. It looked ok from 50 feet away, and I told myself I'd redo it later.

We spent a week in Maine, at the beach every day. I wasn't ON the beach with the Jeep, mind you, but I was parked next to it and driving around York which is right on the ocean. When we got home, I noticed there were little tiny rust spots all over the bumper in thin spots in the paint(I think, might have been from road debris too). That was from 1 week. I made sure to wash the Jeep THOROUGHLY when I got home and cleaned everything inside and out.

I just did fluid film in late November. I had my sticker inspection last week and the guy at the garage noticed and said "everything looks great under there!" I've had friends who have had great success with Fluid film. I'd get on cleaning up and getting it Fluid Filmed sooner rather than later. I've had 2 older Jeeps rust out from under me, I didn't want my shiny new one to start the same way. I still need to repaint that bumper, but now I'm waiting as we are going to be making some modifications to it come spring so I can use my OEM fogs again.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
It’s the salt that hurts, sand is no worse that mud, dirt, grit or grime of any other kind. I’ve lived an hour away from sand dunes my entire life and have been riding/driving vehicles in them for 30 years and have never had a sand related issue. But I never drive in the ocean surf...
Sponsored