Beach sand?

1. Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
    Liked:
    Is there urgency to rinsing the undercarriage after beach driving or is doing so every few months sufficient? NB: I have not done Fluid Film or anything else to the undercarriage yet.

2. Toycrusher

Toycrusher Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Gotta get it all off instantly! Or else get ready for lots of rust

RubiSc0tt likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Please tell me that that reply was sarcastic. That would be very annoying to have to do every single time, especially at this time of year here when the temperature is so cold.

1996cc likes this.
  4. Shots

Shots Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Winchell
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler Sahara (JLU), Renegade Limited (BU)
    Liked:
    That's a bit of both. Obviously it doesn't have to be done instantly, but I wouldn't go for months without rinsing it off. Salt is a terrible catalyst for rust/corrosion. Basically salt draws moisture to itself, and the water expedites the oxidation of iron based metals.
    So by leaving salt on the vehicle, you're speeding up the corrosion process. A few nights isn't likely to make a noticeable difference, but a few months probably will. Especially if you routinely go a few months without rinsing the salt off.

four low likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Gotcha, thanks

6. Toycrusher

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Different areas are worse than others. Texas beach salt is horrific and you'll pay the price if you don't wash really good on the same day. You might get away with more time in other areas

7. GtX

GtX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR 3.0D
    Liked:
    Why is the salt different in Texas than Florida, New Jersey, or California?

8. Toycrusher

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Gulf is shallower, higher salt content, especially the laguna madre, in top 6th saltiest lagoons on the planet

GeneralRizzo and RubiSc0tt like this.
  9. GtX

GtX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR 3.0D
    Liked:
    Same salt, higher concentration, that makes sense.

RubiSc0tt likes this.
  10. Toycrusher

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    Yeah it's kinda crazy, even 316 surgical stainless rusts in this environment

11. GtX

GtX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR 3.0D
    Liked:
    Average sea water salinity 33 to 37 ppt
    Laguna Madre 22 to 49 ppt, over later 30 years
    Dead Sea 280 ppt

12. four low

four low Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL
    Liked:
    Once salt has gotten up into all those crevices, it's almost impossible to flush out. You'll still see those tell- tale white crystals after what you thought was a good rinse, after it dries.
    Chemically NEUTRALIZING the Salt is possible, check out "Salt-Away", developed for the aviation and marine industry. Available from West Marine, comes with a pre-mixer siphon for hose applications. I use this in the Spring, flush everything, no need to rinse, then have my JL "Rust Copped".

13. RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
    Liked:
    Some anecdotal evidence/ personal experience to back it up:
    I put my bumper on ~2 weeks before vacation this summer. It came bare steel and in great condition. I wiped it down and sprayed it after work one morning. I thought I did an OK job. when we went to install, I found out I missed areas (because I was half asleep), so, we had to do some touch up before putting it on. It looked ok from 50 feet away, and I told myself I'd redo it later.

We spent a week in Maine, at the beach every day. I wasn't ON the beach with the Jeep, mind you, but I was parked next to it and driving around York which is right on the ocean. When we got home, I noticed there were little tiny rust spots all over the bumper in thin spots in the paint(I think, might have been from road debris too). That was from 1 week. I made sure to wash the Jeep THOROUGHLY when I got home and cleaned everything inside and out.

I just did fluid film in late November. I had my sticker inspection last week and the guy at the garage noticed and said "everything looks great under there!" I've had friends who have had great success with Fluid film. I'd get on cleaning up and getting it Fluid Filmed sooner rather than later. I've had 2 older Jeeps rust out from under me, I didn't want my shiny new one to start the same way. I still need to repaint that bumper, but now I'm waiting as we are going to be making some modifications to it come spring so I can use my OEM fogs again.

14. 1996cc

1996cc Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    19 JKUR
    Liked:
    It’s the salt that hurts, sand is no worse that mud, dirt, grit or grime of any other kind. I’ve lived an hour away from sand dunes my entire life and have been riding/driving vehicles in them for 30 years and have never had a sand related issue. But I never drive in the ocean surf...