missnico

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Hi Everyone,
Reading through the posts it seems my jl is having the same issue now that winter is coming. I took a video of the issue occurring this morning. Can those that have the issue confirm this is the behaviour that you were witnessing.

I have had this occur twice now and would like to determine the cause and fix before winter truly sets in.

It only seems to happen if I let the jeep sit for more then 24hr in the cold. Can I expect the issue to increase with frequency as the temperature drops?

All my fuses and breakers are secure. The jeep is completely stock/the way I received it from the dealer. I have owned it since April 2019 and this issue has only started this week.

Next stop the dealer.

Thanks for helping me determine if this is the same issue described in this thread.
Hi there-
I would say from my own experience if it already happened a couple of times, that yes it will only get worse as the temperatures drop. Speak to @JeepCares and get a representative to help you work with the dealer. Go in as soon as you can to get the software update. I dealt with the instrument cluster rebooting for most of the winter last year until I finally got the update, which seemed to have actually helped. Fingers crossed it stays that way this winter. Good luck-
Sponsored

NegaJeep

First Name
Dever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
Hi there-
I would say from my own experience if it already happened a couple of times, that yes it will only get worse as the temperatures drop. Speak to @JeepCares and get a representative to help you work with the dealer. Go in as soon as you can to get the software update. I dealt with the instrument cluster rebooting for most of the winter last year until I finally got the update, which seemed to have actually helped. Fingers crossed it stays that way this winter. Good luck-
Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately I live in Canada and @JeepCares advised me that I would need to contact FCA Canada, which is completely understandable. I am only posting this information in case another Canadian stumbles across this post with the same questions I have/had.

I will update the community with what happens once I get in touch with them. I can say my Jeep dealer's service department has not heard of this problem before, so exciting times ahead.

eeescarlito

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Anyone else’s cluster just completely die? Mine never went intermittent with coming on and off multiple times. I just got in the Jeep and the cluster was dead. I also live in Florida so not sure if the weather has anything to do with it.

jeeps been at the dealer for about a month with no ETA on a new cluster. This sucks

NegaJeep

First Name
Dever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately I live in Canada and @JeepCares advised me that I would need to contact FCA Canada, which is completely understandable. I am only posting this information in case another Canadian stumbles across this post with the same questions I have/had.

I will update the community with what happens once I get in touch with them. I can say my Jeep dealer's service department has not heard of this problem before, so exciting times ahead.
Update: to my issue and notice to anyone in Canada my dealer eventually solved the problem when I gave them the recall number but it took some convincing that it was the issue as my manufacturing date put my JL just outside of the effected vehicle range. They eventually performed the flash and everything has been great since. Thanks everyone who helped point me in the right direction.

@eeescarlito I have not heard of your issue. hopefully someone else on here has and best of luck.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Anyone else’s cluster just completely die? Mine never went intermittent with coming on and off multiple times. I just got in the Jeep and the cluster was dead. I also live in Florida so not sure if the weather has anything to do with it.

jeeps been at the dealer for about a month with no ETA on a new cluster. This sucks
my instrument cluster just died as well. I’m so pissed and not looking forward to taking to dealer Monday. I’m afraid they will blame my winch, aux switch or power lock install and void warranty work.

Sponsored

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
So I too had my insturment cluster display and gauges fail this morning. This is a two week old 2019 JLU Sport S. The needles never moved from zero and the system kept rebooting. It was cold today, around 23°F. I was able to drive the 4 miles to work. By the time I got there the RPM needle began to work. When I drove off two hours later everything works.

So. Do I need to go to the dealership? I was thinking water or ice caused the issue. Right before parking for the night in my garage I went through a touchless car wash.

Here's a video I captured this morning.
Mine has started doing the same thing.....once it got down really cold...a couple of days ago it was 18 and mine kept rebooting....once everything warmed up it did fine...the next day was 20 and same thing...

FirstJeep415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I am a first time Jeep owner. I really do otherwise love the vehicle however I just experienced this and it was a bit terrifying. The entire dashboard went black on the freeway in a complex traffic situation. Not dimmed. Totally blacked out. Off. Including uConnect. I have better nerves than most but this is a safety issue. Someone could distract or react wrong. And also for the money I spent on this vehicle, this is a non negotiable fix needed. I have a case opened now. I am caustionaly optimistic that this will be handled so that I have many decades of trouble free jeeping as I expected when I trusted this brand.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am a first time Jeep owner. I really do otherwise love the vehicle however I just experienced this and it was a bit terrifying. The entire dashboard went black on the freeway in a complex traffic situation. Not dimmed. Totally blacked out. Off. Including uConnect. I have better nerves than most but this is a safety issue. Someone could distract or react wrong. And also for the money I spent on this vehicle, this is a non negotiable fix needed. I have a case opened now. I am caustionaly optimistic that this will be handled so that I have many decades of trouble free jeeping as I expected when I trusted this brand.
The previous posts were a software issue that was corrected early last year and occurred in cold weather. Yours sounds more like it could be a ground or fuse issue. What does your service advisor think is the problem?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
The previous posts were a software issue that was corrected early last year and occurred in cold weather. Yours sounds more like it could be a ground or fuse issue. What does your service advisor think is the problem?

His sounds like what happened to mine. Was a total cluster f'k. I no longer have my JL after that experience. It was mainly because of my incompetent dealer and the crappy Jeep Brand. Which is a shame because i really enjoyed it a lot. I just refuse to daily drive something so unpredictable and prone to failure. After they replaced the cluster. My charging system and Start Stop all went to crap as well. I honestly think a lot of these first run JL's has a lot of bad electronics put into them.

FirstJeep415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thanks for the reply. I will update when I know. I chose Stewart Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM as my service center. When I talked to the service advisor there about this incident she said I should report this to Jeep Customer Care at 800-334-9200. I called and they created an incident/case number on Monday 7/27 and I have yet to receive any response or instruction.

Sponsored

Kitchellmk

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Wrangler

2020 JLU in Maryland. Bought the Jeep in April.

This just happened to me ..
I was driving down the road Sunday and I looked down to check my speed and I didn’t have any. Didn’t have a dash at all. We figured a fuse blew, hoped it was just a fuse and brought it in Monday to get it checked out. They called yesterday, they replaced the fuse but the new one just blew too.
It was the entire cluster.
They put in an order for a new one.
New cluster is on backorder.
No idea when new cluster might come in so the Jeep sits, at the dealer..

Just how long did yours sit before getting it back?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU in Maryland. Bought the Jeep in April.

This just happened to me ..
I was driving down the road Sunday and I looked down to check my speed and I didn’t have any. Didn’t have a dash at all. We figured a fuse blew, hoped it was just a fuse and brought it in Monday to get it checked out. They called yesterday, they replaced the fuse but the new one just blew too.
It was the entire cluster.
They put in an order for a new one.
New cluster is on backorder.
No idea when new cluster might come in so the Jeep sits, at the dealer..

Just how long did yours sit before getting it back?
I was out about 2 weeks. Make sure they really did put that order in. My idiot parts guy forgot. Luckily i was on them. It was even going to be back ordered longer but they eventually found one. Not sure where.

I'm curious if they asked you how many miles your jeep had. For some reason they couldn't pull any history of the mileage from the computer and they ordered mine with the Mileage I told them lol. I couldn't remember the exact number so I rounded down.

Kitchellmk

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Wrangler
I was out about 2 weeks. Make sure they really did put that order in. My idiot parts guy forgot. Luckily i was on them. It was even going to be back ordered longer but they eventually found one. Not sure where.

I'm curious if they asked you how many miles your jeep had. For some reason they couldn't pull any history of the mileage from the computer and they ordered mine with the Mileage I told them lol. I couldn't remember the exact number so I rounded down.
Yeah, I had actually willingly told them my mileage when I duked it out with them over getting a rental.
They had screwed with me telling me they couldn’t get me in until this Friday actually. I asked them what they expected me to drive to work in and they suggested I try to get a rental. I suggested back that actually - THEY not try, but DO get me a rental because this car was 4 months old, with only 2k miles. No reason the cluster should have gone..

So, they do know my mileage. I’ll make sure to keep on them through checking in.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I had actually willingly told them my mileage when I duked it out with them over getting a rental.
They had screwed with me telling me they couldn’t get me in until this Friday actually. I asked them what they expected me to drive to work in and they suggested I try to get a rental. I suggested back that actually - THEY not try, but DO get me a rental because this car was 4 months old, with only 2k miles. No reason the cluster should have gone..

So, they do know my mileage. I’ll make sure to keep on them through checking in.

Ya I have to say Jeeps Dealerships SUCK asshole and is a part of the reason I no longer own my JL. It was such a problematic vehicle for being less than 2 years old and I could have probably held out but the service broke the last straw for me. My service guy rarely communicated with me, on top of that they paid for my rental a day at a time. So I had to get a rental, go return it, get another because part never came in, take it back and get another. It pissed me off. I had like 5 different rentals in 2 weeks and they were all DODGE, JEEP CRAP and all sucked.
Sponsored