Would you prefer a key ignition?

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Should be auto lock when I walk away. Other than that, I like it.
But if it auto locked, wouldn’t you still hit the lock button 5 times on the key fob until it honks at you multiple times?

You know, just to be sure it’s locked :CWL:

Hitdog540

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2015BMW 550xi
Occupation
Retired
I use a key fob holster which stays at my hip on my belt. I am not even conscious anymore of pressing the unlock button as I approach the vehicle or pressing the lock button as I walk away from it...so proximity locks would be of no additional value to me. I highly prefer the push button start over a key ignition, because I never have to take the fob out of the holster (unless I want to lock or unlock glove compartment or console). If anything, I would like to have the locks on the glove compartment and console lock/unlock with the fob...even if they activated with the doors would be fine with me. that way, I would never have to handle the key fob in the vehicle.
Where do I get me one of those fob holster thingies???

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
No, I would just rather have proximity locks. :)

I keep my FOB on a small carabiner, along with a house key, hooked to my belt loop, so it's easy to get to, and if I need to I can still slip it into a pocket while hooked so it is concealed.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I like the push to start and proximity key. It would be nice if they made the proximity lock standard as well, but I have gotten used to the take key out unlock and put key back in pocket routine. But it will be nice in the summer with no doors and jump in and go.

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
For those without the proximity locks, would you prefer a regular key ignition over the push button start?

I have/had other cars with push button starts, but they also all have/had proximity locks and all that makes sense as the fob just stays in the pocket.
I find the JL set up a pain as even though I have power locks I take the fob out, push the button, then put it back in my pocket.
On the Base I test drove I found the process even more annoying with the key and locks.

Does anyone else find they don't lock the doors with the Jeep all the time vs cars with regular key ignitions because of just wanting to leave the the fob in your pocket?
I havent removed the fob or locked a door since I brought mine home. I know not everyone can do this, but it works where I live.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So my wife has a mini cooper that wouldnt start recently and it has a push button start. Trying to diagnose what is wrong without hearing the different sounds you traditionally would hear (for a novice like myself anyways) was frustrating compared to if you have a turn key ignition. When you press that button and and you hear no sounds and get very little response (in my case I tried a jump and even took the battery to be tested and it was fine) from the car, it made me wish we had a turn key.
I mean, having a key doesn't change anything. You're just using a key to operate a switch rather than a button. It literally changes nothing.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Key entry=Key ignition IMO...

The one thing i wanted in the jeep was key ignition! Was i ever disappointed when i found out it was push button(but it didn't stop me from buying one)

THE REASON:

I had a 2014 Ram with keyless entry and push button start and on 2 occasions, the computer decided to just not recognize the fob. Imagine my surprise coming out of work after a 12 hour night shift in full blown winter and for 2 hours trying to trouble shoot this issue!

Finally after setting off the alarm over and over from trying to figure this out, the only thing that worked was disconnecting the battery for a count of ten and then it reprogrammed itself.... the boys at work still talk about all the noise i made because of the security alarm....

So i am a little weary about push button start but at least i know how to trouble shoot it. . if it's the same as the Ram.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I mean.. If we're nitpicking... I don't think it provides any benefit if you don't have proximity locks, since you gotta have your key out anyway. Also, I hate the button itself. Half the time I press to start and it just switches to aux, so I have to press it again.. And it's not a push to start it's a push and hold to start, so, I end up long pressing it twice.. that's kinda ghetto.

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
I wouldn’t buy a vehicle if it didn’t have proximity and push button start.

Botwin

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru WRX Limited, Ocean Blue 2020 JLUR
I prefer putting a key in a slot and turning it to start a vehicle. Seems old school, but there is nothing wrong with that, and its certainly not difficult. When the key is in the slot, you know exactly where it is when you stop, and you are forced to turn off the vehicle to get it out. I have seen instances where people park, grab the fob, leave the vehicle and forget to turn it off. (Usually with hybrids and quiet engines..) Sometimes I set the key fob in the center console, and have to find it before getting out...an unnecessary use of time. If I had a choice, I would NEVER get pushbutton start. It further disconnects the driver from the driving experience.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I would prefer the key, over the button, any day. Strictly, to make things simpler. I would also like to eliminate the ESS system, along with that extra battery, that goes along with it.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I’m over the turn key idea. Had cars all the way down to not even having power steering. But pushing a button and/or proximity locks is such an easy option when your not wanting to fumble for keys.

Required? No. But I would bow out of the key version if offered.

Side note- for every situation, there’s always google that tells you someone can steal something from you. If you are worried about key code repeaters, and you own a credit card, have medical insurance or even ever had a loan or a bank account - those are far worse on the scale of things that can be stolen.
Sponsored