possessed automatic night / day mode

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Does anyone else have an issue with the auto dimming of the infotainment system around dusk?
Mine cannot decide if it thinks it's dark or light outside and keeps alternating in between a several times a minute.
It is very annoying and distracting.
I normally just adjust the dial to full brightness until it is dark enough for the sensor to actually believe it is really dark, then adjust it back down so it is not so bright and does to "night mode" on Android auto.

I have had auto head lamps on nearly every car I have owned since 2006 and the JL is the first that acts like it doesn't know what to do.
OK, not in my JK. That did not even have auto head lamps. I am starting to think that system was better. It at least work and did not add know knows how many hundreds to the cost without actually working all the time.
Sponsored

KelJett

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Does anyone else have an issue with the auto dimming of the infotainment system around dusk?
Mine cannot decide if it thinks it's dark or light outside and keeps alternating in between a several times a minute.
It is very annoying and distracting.
I normally just adjust the dial to full brightness until it is dark enough for the sensor to actually believe it is really dark, then adjust it back down so it is not so bright and does to "night mode" on Android auto.

I have had auto head lamps on nearly every car I have owned since 2006 and the JL is the first that acts like it doesn't know what to do.
OK, not in my JK. That did not even have auto head lamps. I am starting to think that system was better. It at least work and did not add know knows how many hundreds to the cost without actually working all the time.
Yes! I was driving at just before dusk and put on the headlights and all of a sudden my dash lights dimmed. I changed the setting to all modes and nothing changed except at off. Then the dash lights came on full. So, as it got darker I couldn’t use the headlights because I could barely see any controls.
Then the next time I used the light controls I put it on parking lights and the dash went dim. Put it on headlights and the dash came on full. It’s all over the place. I never know what’s going to happen. Mine is a JLUS 2019.
Just now I moved the dash light control to put the dome light on then just off. Then the dash lights stayed full bright thru all selections. I was going to take it in. It’s a month old. I’ll give it another shot since it worked today but I know something is not right. It’s been different every time I’ve used it.
Frustrating eh?

KelJett

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Yes! I was driving at just before dusk and put on the headlights and all of a sudden my dash lights dimmed. I changed the setting to all modes and nothing changed except at off. Then the dash lights came on full. So, as it got darker I couldn’t use the headlights because I could barely see any controls.
Then the next time I used the light controls I put it on parking lights and the dash went dim. Put it on headlights and the dash came on full. It’s all over the place. I never know what’s going to happen. Mine is a JLUS 2019.
Just now I moved the dash light control to put the dome light on then just off. Then the dash lights stayed full bright thru all selections. I was going to take it in. It’s a month old. I’ll give it another shot since it worked today but I know something is not right. It’s been different every time I’ve used it.
Frustrating eh?
I’ll wait for suggestions from you pros out there.

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Frustrating eh?
You could take it in, but I can pretty much guarantee that Jeep won't see it as a fault and thus will not lift a finger to help.
Since they were bought by Fiat, their service got even worse.
What is even worse for us is that they now have merged with Peugeot, whose service is actually far worse than Fiat's. Like, shockingly bad customer service. Or.. typical French customer service, in other words.

Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Fiat has owned Chrysler Jeep since 1987. Your point is stupid.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Snappy reply fot a dullard

Bet you're a blast at fiestas.

We're you even alive in 1987?

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Well... That went sideways rather quickly.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Fiat has owned Chrysler Jeep since 1987. Your point is stupid.
I think Daimler would beg to differ with you...(do a little research)

But back to OP's original issue...
All my FCA vehicles do this to one extent or another, if I understand you correctly. There are conditions where the signal from the light sensor seems to be on the cusp, and combined with the settings you have chosen for the thumbwheel dimmer on the dash, and the system setup for the display, create havoc. But that's a matter of perception, since a friend who drives one of my FCA cars all the time always sets those up in what I consider a weird combination - he thinks it's better but it drives me crazy. So like when we were kids and we'd adjust the seat and mirrors in the family car to fit us, only to have our parents have a fit when they got in it and had to reset everything, a similar situation exists with this lighting...

Sponsored

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
I think Daimler would beg to differ with you...(do a little research)

But back to OP's original issue...
All my FCA vehicles do this to one extent or another, if I understand you correctly. There are conditions where the signal from the light sensor seems to be on the cusp, and combined with the settings you have chosen for the thumbwheel dimmer on the dash, and the system setup for the display, create havoc. But that's a matter of perception, since a friend who drives one of my FCA cars all the time always sets those up in what I consider a weird combination - he thinks it's better but it drives me crazy. So like when we were kids and we'd adjust the seat and mirrors in the family car to fit us, only to have our parents have a fit when they got in it and had to reset everything, a similar situation exists with this lighting...
I hear what you are saying, but in the case of the JL, it literally just flicks back and forth between night mode and day mode every few seconds until it's dark out.
Other companies solve that by tweaking the trigger on the sensor or by putting in a watchdog clock before it switches. Like, waiting 30 seconds to change back to day mode.

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Snappy reply fot a dullard

Bet you're a blast at fiestas.

We're you even alive in 1987?
I maintain that you are a fuckwit.

Chrysler purchased Jeep in 87', moron, not Fiat.
Between 1998–2007 it was owned by Daimler.

Fiat purchased Chrysler in 2014 for like 4 billion.
Next time do a little searching, fuckwit.
Sponsored