Is my radio possessed

AndySpill

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I recently purchased this Apple CarPlay dongle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBG4QRPX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.

I plugged it into USB Port 2: the one in the center console, and it seems to work okay.

But I've noticed that when I first get into the vehicle, with both the engine start button in the off position and the radio off, music from my phone can play out of the vehicle's speakers.

Is this normal? Does anyone have an explanation for this? I imagine if Bluetooth or WiFi were turned off on my phone this wouldn't happen as the Apple CarPlay dongle uses both...
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I recently purchased this Apple CarPlay dongle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBG4QRPX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.

I plugged it into USB Port 2: the one in the center console, and it seems to work okay.

But I've noticed that when I first get into the vehicle, with both the engine start button in the off position and the radio off, music from my phone can play out of the vehicle's speakers.

Is this normal? Does anyone have an explanation for this?
The USB-A port in the center console remains energized when the vehicle is off. Possibly the now-live dongle is recognized by the vehicle in some manner as to cause a collateral effect on the speakers...doubly so if the proximity of your phone is contributory here; in other words, a sort of cascade effect.

OP
OP

AndySpill

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
The USB-A port in the center console remains energized when the vehicle is off. Possibly the now-live dongle is recognized by the vehicle in some manner as to cause a collateral effect on the speakers...doubly so if the proximity of your phone is contributory here; in other words, a sort of cascade effect.
Thanks James:

I thought use of the USB-A port in the center console might tuck away the dongle, and still more, I'm not sure that the USB-A port in the dash experiences any different pattern of energization after the engine's off than that you describe, but I will probably try switching the dongle to the dash port for a while since it's so trivial to do.

If this yield's better results, which I'm not expecting, I'll devise some way to tuck the dongle away despite its moved proximity to the dash.

It's really not a big deal....sort of music to load and start your car by. ;)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I thought use of the USB-A port in the center console might tuck away the dongle, and still more, I'm not sure that the USB-A port in the dash experiences any different pattern of energization after the engine's off than that you describe, but I will probably try switching the dongle to the dash port for a while since it's so trivial to do.
That port is also always hot/energized. 👍

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@AndySpill

I tested each USB A port in my JL and another JL. I tested to see just how long it actually took for each USB A port to power down after the JL was turned to off and the doors locked..

Well, though the manual says 60 min. til the USB ports power down..... I found that each USB A ports (I tested each separately) fully powered off at approx. 75 minutes.. Yup, approx 75 mins. and not the 60 min. the manual states..

You can test this yourself... in the evening... in the dark ...., open up one of your JL's doors. You will see each USB port /the lighting on it's circumference light up. Now, every few minutes, check look in the window of your JL. You will see the USB's still are lit up.. after 65-75 mins. all USB lights are turned off.

Keep in mind, each time you open the / any door on your parked with ignition off JL, the USB's are powered up and will stay powered up for 65-75 mins.

This USB ports staying powered up for 60-75 mins. after ignition off or after a door, has been opened has been discussed / mentioned many times, especially in the AAWireless Android Auto dongle thread. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...1-wireless-android-auto-adapter-talk-🤳.86856/

OP
OP

AndySpill

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
That, by design or not, Stellantis keeps the USB ports energized after shutting down the engine...

..which if by design makes sense to me in that many a smart phone user might complete a task or two while parked, before exiting or while waiting for a passenger

it still surprises me that with the entertainment system turned off, sound can be transmitted through the JLs speakers.

Maybe this has something to do by design with Bluetooth connections needing to remain connected even beyond the entertainment system being powered up....

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
it still surprises me that with the entertainment system turned off, sound can be transmitted through the JLs speakers. Maybe this has something to do by design with Bluetooth connections needing to remain connected even beyond the entertainment system being powered up...
I wouldn't overthink this, Andy.

If the ports are always energized, then they are, and perhaps there's collateral designed-in functioning as it concerns the speakers recognizing a Bluetooth-transmitting phone in close proximity. In a modern vehicle, that sort of Easter egg makes sense.

By way of example, every Volkswagen I've owned (3, the first one dating back to 1988) allowed the stereo to function without first inserting the key and turning the ignition switch to ACC.

OP
OP

AndySpill

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
If the ports are always energized, then they are, and perhaps there's collateral designed-in functioning as it concerns the speakers recognizing a Bluetooth-transmitting phone in close proximity. In a modern vehicle, that sort of Easter egg makes sense.
Thanks James. This was exactly what I was thinking when I said above, " maybe this has something to do by design with Bluetooth connections needing to remain connected even beyond the entertainment system being powered up.... " :):)

OP
OP

AndySpill

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
@AndySpill

I tested each USB A port in my JL and another JL. I tested to see just how long it actually took for each USB A port to power down after the JL was turned to off and the doors locked..

Well, though the manual says 60 min. til the USB ports power down..... I found that each USB A ports (I tested each separately) fully powered off at approx. 75 minutes.. Yup, approx 75 mins. and not the 60 min. the manual states..

You can test this yourself... in the evening... in the dark ...., open up one of your JL's doors. You will see each USB port /the lighting on it's circumference light up. Now, every few minutes, check look in the window of your JL. You will see the USB's still are lit up.. after 65-75 mins. all USB lights are turned off.

Keep in mind, each time you open the / any door on your parked with ignition off JL, the USB's are powered up and will stay powered up for 65-75 mins.

This USB ports staying powered up for 60-75 mins. after ignition off or after a door, has been opened has been discussed / mentioned many times, especially in the AAWireless Android Auto dongle thread. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/🤳aawireless-motorola-ma1-wireless-android-auto-adapter-talk-🤳.86856/
This info actually proved enormously useful to me. Thanks for sharing.

To briefly elaborate I purchased two male USB A, to bare wire strand cords, and one USB A female, to bare wire strand cord.

One of the male's plugs into an cigarette lighter to USB adapter in the dash 12V: an outlet that (as you probably know) seems to shut off after about a minute with the vehicle off, and the other into the USB port in the center console.

From the previous USB plug I "grabbed" the red and black for power and from the latter plug the two data wires.

These 4 wires then are spliced to the USB female/bare wire strand cord, into which my CarPlay dongle is plugged in.

Now the dongle doesn't remained powered beyond then minute or so after engine stop that the 12V dash plug goes dead on, even if the vehicle USB ports are still live.

Much appreciated.

Lightguy

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Sting Grey
I wonder if that could be a future Tazer setting, change it to 1 min instead of the 60-75.
Sponsored