Sponsored

Rattle- Ace Engineering Stand Alone Tire Carrier

OP
OP

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent some time today trying to solve my rattle. It really seems to be related to the heim joint, so I tried to remove as much slack as possible. If you tighten it down with the tailgate wide open, you'll have a bit of a gap when you close the tailgate. That gap allows the tire portion to move a few millimeters towards (and then away) from the tailgate, which seems to be the cause of the rattle I had.

Try this: if you slam the tailgate shut, do you hear a rattle? I did, so I climbed into the Jeep with the tailgate closed and adjusted the heim joint that way. With that now shortened to take up the gap, I don't notice a rattle when I close the tailgate. Hopefully this means the rattle I was having earlier today is gone.
Mine definitely has a rattle when I slam it shut. Iā€™ll try your helm joint suggestion today.

That said, is anybody elseā€™s 4 shoulder bolts on the hinge loose? If I use one washer on top and 2 on bottom before installing the nut, I canā€™t make it tight, it still has play in it.

One person mentioned they can control the tension/how hard it is to open/close the door with those bolts. I donā€™t have that ability because Iā€™m out of threads, so when I slam mine shut I can see all 4 of those bolts moving, ACE told me this is by design but I just donā€™t understand it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To update this thread, I believe I have FINALLY gotten the rattle to stop. It seems as of 2 of my shoulder bolts are slightly longer than the other two, which prevented me properly tightening the bolts. The nut would run out of threads and couldn't actually tighten it all the way. I ended up adding a 3rd washer so I actually have some control over the how tight to make those bolts and now I can shut the door without a rattle.

I'll reach out to ACE tomorrow about getting some new bolts. Frustrating it took this long to solve but glad I don't have to look for an alternate tire carrier solution.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I hope you have it sorted. For what itā€™s worth, hereā€™s closeups of my bolts installed.

4028B164-0B3F-4632-98BB-C6E79CE22B16.jpeg

9EF31692-7198-493E-A8F7-595DC2BC875F.jpeg

63981F57-6BE5-4D11-8122-DABEAE5BB9B2.jpeg

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Not take from the OP on this thread. Hows the product so far standing up to rust? I've had the Evo carrier on now for two months and the damn thing is rusting. I'm thinking about making the switch to this tire carrier. Thanks guys!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I took my time adjusting the Ace Tire Carrier and have never had a rattle. ONe thing that I did also was put a little grease where the wedge from the tire carrier meets the tail gate. This helped smooth out the operation. I also adjusted the heim joint with the tailgate closed and adjusted the wedge with the tailgate closed. Mine operates smooth, quiet and is very solid.

No rust anywhere on mine. The powder coating is thick. When I installed the CB antenna, I used an air grinder with a wire wheel to scrub off the powder coating around the mounting hole for a better ground and even though to myself, fuck this stuff is tough.

Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Installed mine and thought I had the heim joint tight, but nope...she rattled. Tightened up the heim and now everythingā€™s perfect. No rattles and solid as can be. Iā€™m loving this tire carrier, but the only thing I wish I knew before purchasing it is that it is not parallel to the tailgate. The drivers side of the carrier is closer to the tailgate than the passenger side, thus the tire is cocked a bit and it throws off the angle/perspective of the rear camera. I think Iā€™m going to try to use the oem camera mount and shim the left side of the camera to get the camera angle back. But other than that, Iā€™m loving the Ace Stand Alone Tire Carrier.

B31A6076-7D20-446C-B463-820777F41494.jpeg

ED86617A-8FF0-4AC8-BB85-536FFC8C2361.jpeg

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d also like to thank @mikej @wibornz @Kapoosh1 @kheidolph for all the threads Iā€™ve been reading. You guys have been helpful. And AJ @ACE Engineering for answering my phone calls and helping me deal with a minor issue with the wheel not mounting on the studs due to a misaligned wheel stud and my Quadratec JK wheels having slightly smaller holes than JL wheels for the lugs.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Iā€™m loving this tire carrier, but the only thing I wish I knew before purchasing it is that it is not parallel to the tailgate. The drivers side of the carrier is closer to the tailgate than the passenger side, thus the tire is cocked a bit and it throws off the angle/perspective of the rear camera.
Is everyone else having this issue with the camera not being straight as well?

Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is everyone else having this issue with the camera not being straight as well?
Let me clarify by saying this is clearly my OCD and "issue". It doesn't impede anything, but when backing up into a parking space the guide lines no longer represent straight perpendicular lines from the rear of your vehicle. It's certainly not a deal breaker, but if it bugs me enough I may try to shim the camera to straighten it. I've been driving for a week with it and it's become less and less concerning (but I still may shim it. LOL).

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Let me clarify by saying this is clearly my OCD and "issue". It doesn't impede anything, but when backing up into a parking space the guide lines no longer represent straight perpendicular lines from the rear of your vehicle. It's certainly not a deal breaker, but if it bugs me enough I may try to shim the camera to straighten it. I've been driving for a week with it and it's become less and less concerning (but I still may shim it. LOL).
I'm the same way. if it's crooked, it will bother me! Haha

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I had an issue with this as well when I first got the carrier. And since I was making up an install guide, I wanted to make sure everything was correct before sending it out. I was convinced that something was wrong.

However, after a few conversations with Adam at @ACE Engineering I finally understood that being slightly out of parallel with the rear bumper was a design choice. Since there are 2 different hinge points and a fulcrum where the carrier slides through the tailgate plate below the heim, that variance is needed to prevent the carrier from binding and getting stuck OR from having to hang much farther off the rear of the vehicle than I think any of us would be comfortable with.

I've had the carrier for almost a year now. I don't even notice the alignment issue. It wasn't very much to begin with. Overall it's a great carrier that has taken me through a lot of trouble free wheeling.

FYI...if your carrier starts to squeak (not rattle), a little lubrication on the channel there the tire carrier slides through the tailgate plate will fix that.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I had an issue with this as well when I first got the carrier. And since I was making up an install guide, I wanted to make sure everything was correct before sending it out. I was convinced that something was wrong.

However, after a few conversations with Adam at @ACE Engineering I finally understood that being slightly out of parallel with the rear bumper was a design choice. Since there are 2 different hinge points and a fulcrum where the carrier slides through the tailgate plate below the heim, that variance is needed to prevent the carrier from binding and getting stuck OR from having to hang much farther off the rear of the vehicle than I think any of us would be comfortable with.

I've had the carrier for almost a year now. I don't even notice the alignment issue. It wasn't very much to begin with. Overall it's a great carrier that has taken me through a lot of trouble free wheeling.

FYI...if your carrier starts to squeak (not rattle), a little lubrication on the channel there the tire carrier slides through the tailgate plate will fix that.
Thanks for the info!

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
So these pics illustrate the ā€œissueā€.
Jeep is parked straight, but as you can see the lines veer of to the left. Again, not a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of.
(Yes, I was at Pep Boys. Donā€™t judge...I was buying 10 gauge wire for my twin ARB compressor install in the cargo area. LOL)

3AFF5F00-5979-4499-8A8C-BF30C2AD8929.jpeg

2841C0C9-3175-4371-845B-3260A8858BE8.jpeg
Sponsored