Sponsored

Rancho differential glide plate install

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
I just put the rear set on and as another said in this thread, have a good jack on hand because those cleats are difficult to finagle into place.

The cleats and the rear diff plate you lose 1/4” (I measured before and after) only since the plates fit very snug.

A note on the rear stock shock/ca mount and easy rock rash from recent adventures. I removed my left shock and beat the stock seat back into place, sanded it, and repainted prior to installing the Rancho cleat.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Installed the front glide plate today. It didn’t seem like the u bolt was long enough as I was only able to just barely get the nuts on and tighten slightly. Did anyone else run into this issue?

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the front glide plate today. It didn’t seem like the u bolt was long enough as I was only able to just barely get the nuts on and tighten slightly. Did anyone else run into this issue?
Yes, mine was the same. See pics in post #17. Got the nuts on about 1/4 inch. Was careful not to overtighten for fear of snapping the u bolt.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I did the same. The picture on the instructions makes it look like you should have a lot more thread to tighten the U bolt with.

Yes, mine was the same. See pics in post #17. Got the nuts on about 1/4 inch. Was careful not to overtighten for fear of snapping the u bolt.

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Another one here. It was a bit of a bear to get on. Definitely needs to be about 1/2" longer on each side.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
While you shouldn't have to do this, any spring shop should be able to make you up a new, longer u-bolt.

Or call around to local fab shops, ask if they have a small parts bender, preferably a Di-Acro. If they say no, ask if they can reco a local shop who does.

Or maybe contact @RanchoShocks and tell 'em to figure out how to use a tape....

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
While you shouldn't have to do this, any spring shop should be able to make you up a new, longer u-bolt.

Or call around to local fab shops, ask if they have a small parts bender, preferably a Di-Acro. If they say no, ask if they can reco a local shop who does.

Or maybe contact @RanchoShocks and tell 'em to figure out how to use a tape....
OK, now that you have Rancho's attention I'm going to make a bet. I bet this is the same U bolt used on the JK version and it's easier/cheaper to use an existing part than pull a code, make a number and create a new part. This is true of any manufacturing business so I can't fault Rancho for trying but they should be made aware of the problem.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
Good post. Even thou I hate to loose the ground clearance, I ordered Rancho diff. skids today from Jegs @148 ea.. Also Rock Hards front LCA skids $75 and Rough Country rear $40.
How much ground clearance do you lose with those? Apologies if it's already been mentioned...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How much ground clearance do you lose with those? Apologies if it's already been mentioned...
1/4" on the rear. About 5 posts back.

Reactions: apb

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

RanchoShocks

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
I was curious :) so I looked. Different mounts on the 2 front axles.
That being said, I will share this info with my guys.
It is a tight fit, that I know. Helped install one on a JT and had to snug the diff bolts up and the u-bolt almost at the same time.
Matt

OK, now that you have Rancho's attention I'm going to make a bet. I bet this is the same U bolt used on the JK version and it's easier/cheaper to use an existing part than pull a code, make a number and create a new part. This is true of any manufacturing business so I can't fault Rancho for trying but they should be made aware of the problem.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
Trust me 1/4" clearance sacrifice is worth it compared to the $4k axle job we just did. Here's the story....

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-your-poorly-designed-diff-drain-bolt.37030/
Yikes, I'll probably go ahead and do both, even though the rear on the Rubi doesn't have that vulnerability. Definitely can't hurt to have additional protection at the cost of a little weight and 1/4".

Sorry to hear you went through that ordeal, but damn nice Amica covered you.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@RanchoShocks this is the part where you say....

"That really sucks! Oh, I see you are using our RS5000X shocks on your Jeep. Oh, I see you took them out to Sedona, Moab and Ouray and they performed well you say. Oh, I see you even beat the crap out of one coming down from Top of the World and it is still performing perfectly.
Listen since you're using our product the way it was intended and you're not just crawling around malls with it and since you've had a bad go with the whole axle getting destroyed, why don't you let us give you a front diff skid so that the new D44 front axle, with that same stupid drain bolt design, doesn't get clipped."

Oh did I mention I'm still paying off $1800 from that axle swap AND I had to drop $2k to order a new engine for my LJ last week? No joke, mine is toast. Listen... when it comes to Jeep parts I'll beg, I'll freaking beg like there is no tomorrow and it will not hurt my pride one bit.
Sponsored

Last edited: