Sponsored

Rubicon tires / highway driving

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm not sure if this is your first Jeep, but I had a JK Willy's edition for the last 4 years. That had the Rubicon wheel and tire package. The JL is a huge step up in comfort and civility.
Am I the only one who doesn't really feel that way? I just got my 2020 Rubicon, granted, but it feels about as noisy and bumpy as I remember my 2015 Sahara being. It does feel a lot more comfortable so far, though!
Sponsored

CoryC

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 6 speed manual
I have the KO2s on my stock Rubi and am on the freeway at 75/80mph every day... I've had these tires on my previous truck too... I'm not sure how they do it with such an aggressive off road tread design, but there is no noticeable road noise from them like you'd expect from A/T tires.... Get your Rubi you won't be disappointed!

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one who doesn't really feel that way? I just got my 2020 Rubicon, granted, but it feels about as noisy and bumpy as I remember my 2015 Sahara being. It does feel a lot more comfortable so far, though!
For a 2020 Rubicon to feel the same as a 2015 Sahara, I think is an indication of an improvement in overall design. The 2015 stock Sahara came with all-season road tires and sat lower to the ground than the 2020 stock Rubicon that has taller springs and larger, all-terrain tires with a more aggressive tread pattern. Wind noise is much improved.

My 2008 JKUR with 6-speed manual transmission drove and rode like a truck. My 2018 JLUR with 6-speed manual transmission drives and rides significantly smoother on the road. The stick doesn't vibrate, the steering tracks better and turns tighter, the interior is quieter both with the premium soft top on and off. The sound system and Bluetooth is amazing on the JLs. I can have a conversation with someone on the phone with my doors and top off and actually be able to hear what is being said and they can hear me. The noise cancellation works great.

I consider myself somewhat of a Jeep purist. I've had one of every model (sometimes two) since the CJ and I still have my 1985 CJ-7 (67k original miles on the 258 I-6). However, I think the JLs are absolutely and undoubtedly the most advanced and comfortable Jeep (Wrangler) ever made.

Lizzy

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Rubicon
For a 2020 Rubicon to feel the same as a 2015 Sahara, I think is an indication of an improvement in overall design. The 2015 stock Sahara came with all-season road tires and sat lower to the ground than the 2020 stock Rubicon that has taller springs and larger, all-terrain tires with a more aggressive tread pattern. Wind noise is much improved.

My 2008 JKUR with 6-speed manual transmission drove and rode like a truck. My 2018 JLUR with 6-speed manual transmission drives and rides significantly smoother on the road. The stick doesn't vibrate, the steering tracks better and turns tighter, the interior is quieter both with the premium soft top on and off. The sound system and Bluetooth is amazing on the JLs. I can have a conversation with someone on the phone with my doors and top off and actually be able to hear what is being said and they can hear me. The noise cancellation works great.

I consider myself somewhat of a Jeep purist. I've had one of every model (sometimes two) since the CJ and I still have my 1985 CJ-7 (67k original miles on the 258 I-6). However, I think the JLs are absolutely and undoubtedly the most advanced and comfortable Jeep (Wrangler) ever made.

Lizzy

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Rubicon
My wife just got her Stin-grey Rubicon 2 months ago and said the Rubicon is a lot better than her 2018 Sahara that she had.She travels 44 miles and back,Monday thru Friday and has no complaints about noise or the ride.I have a Nacho Rubicon also and have no complaints.All is well except for the 6 inches of snow we got last night here in Moose Jaw ,Saskatchewan.About a month earlier than usual.

Sponsored

Senator71

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I agree with Taxman - I have driven, but not owned Wranglers since 1990 and owned a 2016 JKU. All of the previous were trucks which you had to make compromises to own. To me, it's actually amazing that the JL can do what it does off-road and still be as civilized as it is on-road. Like others, I use my hands free at freeway speeds with the top off and people can hear me better than in my 2018 Range Rover with the windows and roof firmly shut. The nav works, the Apple CarPlay works better than it does in the RR, altogether a very well conceived and executed product.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I will add though, the interior is so much better. In that sense it's amaaazingly comfortable. If the seats had a slightly softer surface it'd be like driving a Cadillac lol.

But yeah, in my JK my knees were right in the path of the mirror adjustment knob and the stupid plastic thing that stuck out around the door locks. I constantly bumped into them. Oh and in the JL the seat heaters are ridiculous lol. They heat almost all the way to the front edge! SO NICE!
Sponsored