full speed collision avoidance system - not working

trlhwk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
HELP: I purchaed a new 2019 GC with Collision Avoidance. 3-days after buying it, the yahoo in front of me decided to jack on his brakes and turn into a burger joint. This was at 25-30mph.

No warning message, no alarm, no braking. I was about 5ft from him after hitting my brakes.

My dealer says everything (components) is working, and no error codes - so the (he says) the system is OK.

I tried to simulate conditions that would trigger the system to work, and every time it didn't.

I opened a case with FCA customer service and they pretty much are standing by the dealer...

Does anyone know if there is a way to 'test' the system other than crash it?
HELP!
Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
one possible way to test it would be to stand up a big piece of cardboard in a deserted parking lot and drive towards it at 10-15 mph to see if the brakes kick in. not sure if the system has a radar component, but if so, you may need to add aluminum foil to the cardboard so it is reflective.

I have the system on my JLU wrangler and while the warning alarm has triggered a number of times, I have only felt the brakes kick in once... I was going around a car making a left turn, I may have also had my foot on the brake pedal at the same time, not sure.

yesterday I was on a slow curve on the PA turnpike travelling about 65 mph, and the alarm triggered on a piece of road construction equipment on the shoulder. the center cluster displayed "BRAKE!" which I've never seen before. I was really happy they didn't kick in then.

wrangler owners manual description:
FCW monitors the information from the forward looking
sensors as well as Electronic Brake Controller (EBC), to calcu-late the probability of a forward collision. When the system determines that a forward collision is probable, the driver will be provided with audible and visual warnings as well as
a possible haptic warning in the form of a brake jerk.
If the driver does not take action based upon these progressive warnings, then the system will provide a limited level of active braking to help slow the vehicle and mitigate the potential forward collision. If the driver reacts to the warn-
ings by braking and the system determines that the driver intends to avoid the collision by braking but has not applied sufficient brake force, the system will compensate and provide additional brake force as required.
If a FCW with Mitigation event begins at a speed below
32 mph (52 km/h), the system may provide the maximum
braking possible to mitigate the potential forward collision.
If the Forward Collision Warning with Mitigation event
stops the vehicle completely, the system will hold the vehicle at standstill for two seconds and then release the brakes.

Last edited:

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if the same on your GC, but on my ‘19 Wrangler I had to go into the uconnect settings and “check the boxes” to activate the forward collision warning and also the forward collision warning with braking to turn the system on. From the dealer lot it was not turned on.

OP
OP

trlhwk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Not sure if the same on your GC, but on my ‘19 Wrangler I had to go into the uconnect settings and “check the boxes” to activate the forward collision warning and also the forward collision warning with braking to turn the system on. From the dealer lot it was not turned on.
Thanks, It was turned on (checked on the touchscreen). I had the svc tech hold a 3 x7 ft carpet runner, while the General Manager drove my GC at it three times - without stopping! They still say the warning system is working.

Today I brought it to another dealer and took the svc tech for ride while I drove up toward rear-ending cars a couple of dozen times. The warning message and sound came on 5-times of 12 while on the 'mid' setting. It never applied brakes.

On the Far' and on the Near' settings the warning message never came on.

The service manager opened a STAR inquiry which only came back saying that if some module is not showing a fault - it is working.

Friday it is going to yet another dealer for the third attempt to get it fixed so that it works. If they don't get it, then the Lemon Law letter to FCA USA goes in the mail.

Pretty crappy response from Chrysler/Jeep.

*Should have kept my 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk that had a transmission issue (class action suit) that Chrysler Jeep couldn't fix
r.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
I had this happen on my Infiniti q50 the same day I picked it up. A girl slammed on her brakes on the highway as soon as light turned yellow, I did not expect it therefore my relaxes were a bit delayed (my foot was not already on the brake anticipating a stop) brake mitigation did not work (because I was already braking and stopping with her the distance approach was drastically changing to trigger the warning. In other words I reacted before the system did but still was not able to stop in time. We collided at last 5mph where damage seemed to be minimal according to insurance its ofcourse my fault, even tho she did admit that she had traffic citations for running red light which explains the short stopping.

In my case Im sure fresh tires and breaks contributed to longer stopping distance. In any case as much as it sucks you can not fault the system as its there to help you and not guaranty to save you.

IMO I'd opt out from any of these aids if possible as tech inst there yet.

Sponsored

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Following this thread. We just got a 2019 GCTH too. Our window sticker says something about "full speed forward collision warning plus" which would lead one to believe it would do far more than lessen the severity of a low speed collision...

jchadscud

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2000 TJ Sport
I've seen tests where they use inflatables that look like cars. Maybe you could get your hands on one of those for a more accurate test.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well hell Richard, what a load of BS. That's a typical reply from the dealer that probably can't even fix a ham sandwich. If it doesn't work every time, it's not working. Mine is working fine, and if mine's working fine to me that's normal. If your's is hit and miss, that ain't normal. I salute you for not going to somebodies ass for brushing you off. And, I don't blame you at all for hitting them with lemon law papers. I wish you luck at the third dealer.

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Same issues with it here on the Sahara. It works when it wants too. Annoying when you pass bicycles up on the mountains as it beeps like hell even though I'm not gonna squash them liKE cockroaches. When there is a car in front of me that breaks all of a sudden it doesnt beep for sh1t..... I just stopped caring about it OP

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Try running it into a cement wall without braking? :turkey:

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
HELP: I purchaed a new 2019 GC with Collision Avoidance. 3-days after buying it, the yahoo in front of me decided to jack on his brakes and turn into a burger joint. This was at 25-30mph.

No warning message, no alarm, no braking. I was about 5ft from him after hitting my brakes.

My dealer says everything (components) is working, and no error codes - so the (he says) the system is OK.

I tried to simulate conditions that would trigger the system to work, and every time it didn't.

I opened a case with FCA customer service and they pretty much are standing by the dealer...

Does anyone know if there is a way to 'test' the system other than crash it?
HELP!
The 2017 GCTH I had would brake if I was too close to someone when they were turning right and even had it happen once with someone turning left. It lit up with BRAKE on the dash and slowed right down. I was anticipating their turn and admittedly was pretty close. It kind of freaks you out the first time since it brakes unexpectedly and without you touching anything. The left turn one truly sucked since they were not directly in front of me but in the left lane hanging over just a bit.

I don't think it is designed to avoid collisions as much as just to slow you down before/if you hit something. So reduce the rate of speed before contact. It's definitely not perfect and you may have seen video's of people testing it by standing in front of some vehicles just to get hit. Definitely not something you put your trust in and I am pretty happy my wrangler doesn't have it to be honest.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Can you remove it? It's an eyesore anyway.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
Try running it into a cement wall without braking? :turkey:
LOL. Actually, that's probably the worst method how you can test it. All these systems have big problems to detect non-moving objects (like also a stopped car).
Sponsored