Sponsored

full speed collision avoidance system - not working

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I had a Subaru crosstrek with eyesight, it worked perfectly and there ste many videos online showing the feature. Subaru uses stereo cameras to determine targets and is best in class.
Jeep is only LIDAR and in my experience is dangerous to have active braking turned on. Mine engaged violently at 30mph on the highway with no danger (verified with looking back at dashcam recording) I seemed to pick up on a car in the adjacent lane is the best I can tell. Turned it off that day and won't turn it back on. Not getting rear ended because the vehicle decides to slam on the brakes.

The adaptive cruise works well though and I do use that all the time.
Sponsored

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I feel like these safety systems aren't quite ready for prime time yet. The worst would be for it to brake (nothing there) and there's 30 Hell's Angles right behind you - good luck. Also, I think with each driver aid, it causes a little more relience on tech and less on you and lulls you in to a false sense of security. I have no issue with back-up cameras, parking sensors and would like to have a front camera pop on as soon as you put it in drive, just in case little Timmy got away from Lassie and is playing right in front.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Last time I checked, the collision avoidance system was located between your ears and was an independent part from the vehicle... NEVER RELY ON A SAFETY FEATURE TO DO YOUR JOB, Just saying.

Update 8/26/19. Exactly the type of DUMBASS I'm talking about.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. People like this should lose that privilege forever. Just saying.

Last edited:

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I drove a Subaru Outback for a year because I was a little concerned about the 18 JLs. The Subaru had Eyesight and it was flawless. Did not care for the audible warnings every time I touched a line marking but the system is great. When I ordered the wrangler, I just got Blind Spot and
Parksense only because I wasn't sure FCA was as electronically reliable as the Subaru. Blindspot works really well but Parksense gives too many false warnings on the left side. Dealer says dirt gets in the camera easily and that's the reason.
I hope FCA improves in the next couple years as I do miss the Auto High Beams and Adaptive Cruise. Really miss Adaptive Cruise.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
This is the easiest way to test it, I've been doing = this for years... be careful though and I am not liable if anything happens...

Drive on the highway in your Jeep and have a buddy drive another vehicle. When you are cruising at about 60 mph or above, have your budy do a lane change into your lane but very close to you, like within 5 feet, the Jeep will stomp on the brakes and separate you both. I use this demonstration with Porsche cars that I sell, basically the same system. This is the only safe-ish way I know to replicate it without crashing.

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Some manufacturers have a speed cut off for driver aids. Not sure about FCA.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
This is the easiest way to test it, I've been doing = this for years... be careful though and I am not liable if anything happens...

Drive on the highway in your Jeep and have a buddy drive another vehicle. When you are cruising at about 60 mph or above, have your budy do a lane change into your lane but very close to you, like within 5 feet, the Jeep will stomp on the brakes and separate you both. I use this demonstration with Porsche cars that I sell, basically the same system. This is the only safe-ish way I know to replicate it without crashing.

The adaptive cruise control will do the same thing. I know this because of the idiot on I-65 that cut to close in front of me the other day. Damn moe-rons.........:)

OP
OP

trlhwk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Well hell Richard, what a load of BS. That's a typical reply from the dealer that probably can't even fix a ham sandwich. If it doesn't work every time, it's not working. Mine is working fine, and if mine's working fine to me that's normal. If your's is hit and miss, that ain't normal. I salute you for not going to somebodies ass for brushing you off. And, I don't blame you at all for hitting them with lemon law papers. I wish you luck at the third dealer.
The 3rd dealer checked (duhhh) the components and also found no error codes, so he said there is nothing to fix. He refused to take it for a test drive and see for himself that it doesn't work.

Sent certified letters to FCA and the selling Jeep Dealer last week, advising them that I was following the Massachusetts Lemon Law and allowing them one fourth and final attempt to fix the significant safety defect, otherwise they can refund all money or replace the vehicle with one without a safety defect.

We'll see what their formal response will be, as they have 7-days to respond and 14-days to fix it.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The 3rd dealer checked (duhhh) the components and also found no error codes, so he said there is nothing to fix. He refused to take it for a test drive and see for himself that it doesn't work.

Sent certified letters to FCA and the selling Jeep Dealer last week, advising them that I was following the Massachusetts Lemon Law and allowing them one fourth and final attempt to fix the significant safety defect, otherwise they can refund all money or replace the vehicle with one without a safety defect.

We'll see what their formal response will be, as they have 7-days to respond and 14-days to fix it.

I don't blame you at all Richard. Good luck.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Not sure if the same on your GC, but on my ‘19 Wrangler I had to go into the uconnect settings and “check the boxes” to activate the forward collision warning and also the forward collision warning with braking to turn the system on. From the dealer lot it was not turned on.
Wow. This seems like a huge liability for FCA. You pay extra for a safety feature and it’s turned off by default. How many owners would think to turn it on? Wonder if the dealer turned it off or FCA.
Sponsored