BCM OEM Codes and programming

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
New to the JL here - but a former owner of several BMWs that had a similar setup to the FCA BCM(They call it the CIC, but it does the same thing). Anyway, I understand in the BMW setup how they sometimes use a firmware code to unlock things like Navigation or the Sirius tuner, but it is actually present in the car. In the past, I was able to essentially purchase the code and unlock things I add - like lighting - with the codes.

With all of these LED codes for the JL and the limited knowledge of 'some' local dealers, I did some research and think I have figured that the JL at a dealer needs the WiTech 2.0 software, a WiTech MicroPod2 and then a DealerConnect login to do the following: 1. add the right Sales Code for the accessory you are adding(Like LPX for the LED factory option headlights) to your VIN. 2. The dealer then installs the part, lights, etc. 3. The BCM gets the WiTech MicroPod 2 plugged in and they do an OEM code re-programming.

The MicroPod also can provide diagnostic data, like a typical OBDII plug, but has the security info to update the BCM with the OEM sales codes.

So, when you guys are using the Tazer JL and you plug in the BCM security bypass, you are flipping the 'OEM' codes on in the BCM and the big concern is that when you bring the vehicle in, the OEM sales code on the VIN doesn't match what you've installed on the vehicle and then that they'll reset the BCM to the OEM sales code in DealerConnect?

Has anyone asked FCA why, when you buy an OEM part - like the LED headlight upgrade kit - that you can't just have the code added to the VIN you are installing it on? Seems like a fair use legal issue, frankly. Just curious.
Sponsored

ddeaver

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Has anyone asked FCA why, when you buy an OEM part - like the LED headlight upgrade kit - that you can't just have the code added to the VIN you are installing it on? Seems like a fair use legal issue, frankly. Just curious.
Watching, because I'm struggling to move forward on LED headlights because of this

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

New to the JL here - but a former owner of several BMWs that had a similar setup to the FCA BCM(They call it the CIC, but it does the same thing). Anyway, I understand in the BMW setup how they sometimes use a firmware code to unlock things like Navigation or the Sirius tuner, but it is actually present in the car. In the past, I was able to essentially purchase the code and unlock things I add - like lighting - with the codes.

With all of these LED codes for the JL and the limited knowledge of 'some' local dealers, I did some research and think I have figured that the JL at a dealer needs the WiTech 2.0 software, a WiTech MicroPod2 and then a DealerConnect login to do the following: 1. add the right Sales Code for the accessory you are adding(Like LPX for the LED factory option headlights) to your VIN. 2. The dealer then installs the part, lights, etc. 3. The BCM gets the WiTech MicroPod 2 plugged in and they do an OEM code re-programming.

The MicroPod also can provide diagnostic data, like a typical OBDII plug, but has the security info to update the BCM with the OEM sales codes.

So, when you guys are using the Tazer JL and you plug in the BCM security bypass, you are flipping the 'OEM' codes on in the BCM and the big concern is that when you bring the vehicle in, the OEM sales code on the VIN doesn't match what you've installed on the vehicle and then that they'll reset the BCM to the OEM sales code in DealerConnect?

You have pretty much summed up the problem. FCA is treating this information as proprietary, and not even sharing it with the dealers in some cases.

The Mopar accessory LED kit, 822151136AD, comes with all the additional wiring needed, as well as the codes to update the VIN with.
The Mopar accessory fender kit with LEDs, part 82215741AC, doesn't need extra wires. It also does not come with the codes to update the VIN with. FCA won't give the codes to the dealer, which renders the kit inoperable.

Both situations (when you add the extra wires for the LED headlights if needed) can be made perfectly functional with the Tazer JL.

It is beyond stupid that FCA isn't more forthcoming with this information.
Sponsored