Adding and programming LED Rubicon fenders to my Willys

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I haven't heard of a Dealer fix for the bulb out warning, it's going to take a Tazer or JScan App to fix that.

Gregj
Sponsored

IamThad72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited willys
I also have a 2020 Willy and ordered the high fenders from the factory which included the LED/DRL lights. As I was also adding the AUX upgrade at the time and it also needed to be flashed at the dealer the dealer said they would turn on the DRL / LED Fender lights at the same time and not charge me.

After getting it back from the dealer and tested it, the DRL, LED and turn signal lights were all working but I still was getting the front turn signal lights error message. I took it back to the dealer, they turned everything they could on just in case to make it work and it still had an error message.

They reached out to their contacts at Jeep and Jeep basically came back and said this is a known issue but they do not have a solution at this time, which I find hard to believe, especially because the Rubicon Fenders are sold as "High Fenders with LED lights" as a mopar upgrade for any JL model jeep (Sport, Willy, Sahara and Rubicon) according to the mopar site. You would think they wouldn't sell the High Fenders with LED upgrade package for all JL models if they couldn't support it.

I could have sworn I have seen on the forums somewhere a few people who also had the dealer flash their computer and the dealer had figured out how to flash the computer in a way in which they successfully remove the turn signal error message go away but can't seem to find it.

I have a 2020 Willys with LED headlamps but halogen DRLs. I replaced the fenders with OEM Mopar high top fenders with LEDs. I did initially get an error code for the turn signals.

However, after not driving it for a day, it appears to all be working correctly. Coincidentally, I went to the dealer to schedule the flash settings. They seemed less than enthused. I may cancel and just get a tazer. Upon returning, I pulled into the garage and checked and the DRLs and turn signals still work. Is this temporary?

jeepinization

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE
I have a 2020 Willys with LED headlamps but halogen DRLs. I replaced the fenders with OEM Mopar high top fenders with LEDs. I did initially get an error code for the turn signals.

However, after not driving it for a day, it appears to all be working correctly. Coincidentally, I went to the dealer to schedule the flash settings. They seemed less than enthused. I may cancel and just get a tazer. Upon returning, I pulled into the garage and checked and the DRLs and turn signals still work. Is this temporary?

I think the DRL will continue to work. If you are not getting the error message and hyper flash that is great. They did end up fixing the DRL so they work but I continue to get the turn signal lights out error message and hyper flash. I just did a long post about my experience with the dealership about this very issues here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-oem-high-fender-flare-led-upgrade-kit.58540/

IamThad72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the DRL will continue to work. If you are not getting the error message and hyper flash that is great. They did end up fixing the DRL so they work but I continue to get the turn signal lights out error message and hyper flash. I just did a long post about my experience with the dealership about this very issues here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-oem-high-fender-flare-led-upgrade-kit.58540/
Did you have the LED headlamps originally or did you replace those as well?

Sponsored

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Great write up! I just picked up a set of Rubicon non LED fenders and this will be helpful. The wiring was also cut and I’ll have to figure out how to add to the harness due to the Rubicon having more bulbs than my Willys has. I’m also debating on doing the fender chop method with their LED lights. I haven’t decided yet.
I’ll also be installing the Rubicon springs. I’m curious what tires you have in your photos. I noticed that they stick out past the fenders and I’m wanting to change mine to a larger size.

I really liked the look of the high top painted rubicon fenders, especially with the LED turn signals to match the LED headlights that come on the Willys. So, I added them. Here’s what I did.

First, I sourced a used set of painted fenders off a Rubicon. They were $400 on Craigslist, in good enough shape. What I sadly didn’t see until I got them home was that whoever removed them was an ape and cut the turn signal wiring about halfway back inside the fender. Bummer.

I figured I’d go the DIY route for painting the fenders using the Mopar rattle can paint and SprayMax 2k high gloss clear coat. I am not sure I recommend this method, as it ended up taking 13(!!) cans of the Mopar paint to get the job done. The Mopar paint says it does not need clear coat, but that’s a lie. It does not have a very nice finish. So I also used 6 cans of really nice clear coat to finish it up. The final product is pretty damn good, but it was about $225 in paint. Still, cheaper than what body shops were quoting me for the job, though, which was $200 to $300 per fender.

Mounting on the car was dead simple, just like any guide out there for removing and replacing the fenders.

Wiring to make the LEDs work as expected was pretty easy too with the right components. I did have to buy a programmer. I did not want to spend the money for a Tazer, so I went the iPhone App route. I got the JSCAN app (free app to view, $18.99 license in-app purchase to save changes), vGate iCar Pro BLE 4 ($29, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071D8SYXN?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title) and the Chrysler 12+8 cable to get around the OBD security gateway ($37, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07W4YF2H7?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title). All in, $85 for a device that seems to be functionally similar to the tazer, you just use your phone to change the settings. More money saved for more Jeep toys!

Since my wires were unfortunately cut, I spliced them into my existing halogen harness. If your turn signal harness is the complete Rubicon harness, and you have five wires on the body side of the fender harness - this is plug and play. In my case the halogen fender harness was missing one wire, the wire that goes to the DRLs. Now, my car had the wire on the body harness side for the DRL, white/yellow on the left, white/blue on the right. I am not sure if a normal sport or sport S has the wire on the body side, it would be interesting for someone to confirm. If not, then the Willys has it because the Willys has half the LED package (headlights, not fenders). But, since I had the wire on the body side, I just tee spliced into it and ran a wire along side the fender harness to the proper wire at the turn signal. I also tee’d in the yellow/brown wire (bulb fault wire) into the side marker wire, from all my research it seems like that’s how it is on the Rubi harness. If you have a cut rubi harness too, PM me and I can give you more detail on how I wired it up if you need help.

At this point, the fender LEDs worked for blinkers and the dim white LEDs would come on when the park lights or headlights were on. The lights were off when the headlights were in off or auto. Also, without programming, the blinkers would work for about a minute and then the system would report a bulb out and the hyper flash would start, and interestingly the computer would fully disable the whole front fender light assembly (amber and white lights) until the computer was cycled.
Onto programming - with the JSCAN app open, and the bypass cable plugged into the wires under the dash and above the OBD plug, and the iCar adapter plugged into the bypass cable, you’re ready to go. Press the ignition button until the car is in run, but don’t turn it on. In the app, connect to the car.
  • Go to adaptation
  • Go to LED Lights Settings
  • Go to LED Front Park/Marker Lamps settings and change to activate
  • Go back, and go to LED Front Turn Lamps present, change to activate
  • Go back twice, go to DRL Daytime Running Lights configuration. In here, there’s multiple things you have to change:
  • DRL Configuration: Optional DRL
  • DRL Dropout Enable: Active (turns off bright white lamp when amber is flashing)
  • DRL Lamp Location: Dedicated
  • LED Dedicated DRL Present: Active
  • Left Dedicated DRL Lamps Output Present: Active
  • Right Dedicated DRL Lamps Output Present: Active
When you’re done setting all those, you’re going to be like me and jump out of the car super excited to see the bright white lights on! Only to be disappointed because they aren’t. But the headlight halos are. What the fuck? Oh...turns out, the bright white fender DRL lights only come on when the engine is running AND the e-brake is off. So I disconnected the app from the car, turned the car off, unplugged the bypass and plugged the wires back in under the dash, and had to jam a brick behind a wheel and start the engine and take the brake off and voila - the bright white LEDs were on.

Sweet!

I hope this helps some of you other adventurous Jeepers out there.

3B04A039-D3B3-4477-B900-22F609934A54.jpeg

3F4536AB-6D17-4F53-AAA6-D873CD06E38D.jpeg

OP
OP
geolchris

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2023 JLUR on order
Thanks, it should be pretty similar! The chop fender method would look great too, and those are cool lights.

Those were actually the stock wheels with Spidertrax wheel spacers, I hadn’t figured out what wheel/tire combo I wanted to go with at that point and I knew it would look goofy without the spacers because the tires would be tucked under the wheels by an inch or so. Spidertrax stuck out the stocks a half inch past the fenders if I remember right, they add 1.5”. I’m running the 2” Mopar lift, it’s a little over 4” higher than non-rubicon stock.

Ultimately, I went with Icon alphas and 38” Patagonias, no spacers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding and programming LED Rubicon fenders to my Willys FF0D5542-AB67-46AE-B1ED-82A4ED495BCE

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Those 38’s look real good. I’m debating on running 34 or 33’s with the Rubicon springs. I’m trying to keep the added weight of larger tires down to a minimum.

OP
OP
geolchris

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah 33’s would look great with rubi shocks and rubi fenders, since the stock rubicon 285/70r17’s are 32.7” diameter. 34’s should work fine too, you’ll lose a touch of stock articulation.

Those 38’s look real good. I’m debating on running 34 or 33’s with the Rubicon springs. I’m trying to keep the added weight of larger tires down to a minimum.

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I just ordered a set of Toyo AT3’s, 285/75/17 load C front Discount Tire for $215 per tire before tax and mount balancing fees. They measure 34.9” but are at a true 33” once installed. They should be a good match with the AA chop LEDs, Rubicon fenders and springs. They also weigh 59 lbs so that helped me decide on them.

Yesterday I ordered the Bluetooth ODB adapter and cables that you recommended for JScan. I’m hoping to use it to turn on the DRLs, adjust for the larger tires and change the TPMS settings. This post has been extremely helpful.

Sponsored

IamThad72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered a set of Toyo AT3’s, 285/75/17 load C front Discount Tire for $215 per tire before tax and mount balancing fees. They measure 34.9” but are at a true 33” once installed. They should be a good match with the AA chop LEDs, Rubicon fenders and springs. They also weigh 59 lbs so that helped me decide on them.

Yesterday I ordered the Bluetooth ODB adapter and cables that you recommended for JScan. I’m hoping to use it to turn on the DRLs, adjust for the larger tires and change the TPMS settings. This post has been extremely helpful.
I love my Toyo AT3s... Same size. Look awesome. Drive great.

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Today I installed my American Adventure Lab lights and followed the JScan directions that you posted. The lights work as they should. I have them as DRLs and the turn signals also work. I don’t have any dash warnings but do experience hyperflashing when using the turn signals. Am I missing something here?

8BED1F89-7ED8-4612-8A39-78632D084F6F.jpeg

6408EA3E-D18A-411F-8150-16CD734373D1.jpeg

32F4E01C-586C-47E6-9D32-B939FB8BA494.jpeg

Attachments

OP
OP
geolchris

geolchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The AAL lights might need the light type to be set to normal, not LED - but you may want to check with them, I burned out my Diode Dynamics reverse LED lights when I set it to “LED” type instead of halogen, because they were built / designed to replace halogen bulbs and apparently the wrong setting must have changed the voltages that were being sent.

Today I installed my American Adventure Lab lights and followed the JScan directions that you posted. The lights work as they should. I have them as DRLs and the turn signals also work. I don’t have any dash warnings but do experience hyperflashing when using the turn signals. Am I missing something here?

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding and programming LED Rubicon fenders to my Willys 32F4E01C-586C-47E6-9D32-B939FB8BA494

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding and programming LED Rubicon fenders to my Willys 32F4E01C-586C-47E6-9D32-B939FB8BA494

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
The AAL lights might need the light type to be set to normal, not LED - but you may want to check with them, I burned out my Diode Dynamics reverse LED lights when I set it to “LED” type instead of halogen, because they were built / designed to replace halogen bulbs and apparently the wrong setting must have changed the voltages that were being sent.
looks like I now have the dash warnings. I tried to follow these settings they recommendEd for Tazer users but it didn’t make a difference for JScan. I also tried both LED and Non LED settings and there wasn’t a change.

Sponsored