Sponsored

What is your 4wd pedigree? Prior vehicles and experience thread.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Was a Chevy Silverado guy, before, mucho glad I made the change!

775.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
You just left it sitting up there like that? How did you get home? :CWL:
Almost left it. Power steering pump started complaining. Had to come off the mountain in 2wd. :)

Aranimus

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
A nice thread --- it made me remember my relationship with vehicles over the years!

With regard to Jeep ownership, and 4X4's in general, my love for them can be traced back to borrowing my Dad's 4X4 truck in the day to head "up north" for a weekend of cross-country skiing with a cabin full of friends. Now being in MI at the time, and the wood-heated destination cabin being nestled in middle of nowhere with access only by two-tread dirt roads in middle of a forest, imagine my surprise (lol sighs) when in January, a predicted winter storm with lake-effect snow hammered the area. Being unprepared for such an eventuality (ah, youth!), I can tell you, at night? With snow coming down so hard your headlights can barely pierce the environment, and you are wondering where the road is through the trees in several feet of snow? 4WD is essential, and got me through. I figure, while stupid, that was essential experience in "off-roading", and I must say, the crackle of the fire in the cabin when I finally arrived in the storm was music to my ears.

Since then, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 4WD. In the late 90's I owned a Cherokee 4X4 (you know, one of the cool box-like ones) --- It was my answer to the 'new-Dad' minivan crisis at the time, and it made me smile each time I was waved past a chain stop going over a mountain pass during weather. It was a great vehicle.

Today, I am enjoying my 2DR JL simply because it's fun. I may off-road, but hey. Even if I don't, it's a bitchin' convertible for CA where you don't see rain from May to November. Yet in case there's a surprise snowstorm? I'm ready! :)

PS. With regard to other, non-4X4 vehicles, one of the first cars I ever drove was an oldie at the time --- a 'three-on-the-tree' Malibu from the 60's if I recall correctly. I had a number of manual transmission cars in years hence (a 70's Mustang was one of my favs!), and loved them. I wanted to get a manual jeep for my recent purchase, but ended up going with the automatic :)

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
In chronological order I have had the following. Dad always worked and restored hot rods but I always looked at 4x4's and such as living in the city was no good for fast cars IMO.

1990'ish isuzu trooper 4wd
1986 GMC Jimmy (full size with 6.2L diesel)
1994 Jeep YJ 4.0 5 spd lifted etc.
1989 Jeep XJ 4.0 auto trans lifted etc, rolled and totaled
VW sand rail
2002 land rover discovery 2 biggest POS mechanically speaking
1988 Jeep XJ 4.0 auto trans lifted etc.
2007 Toyota FJ supercharged lifted etc.
2019 Jeep JLUR lifted etc.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Cool, different, original posting. I started out in the late seventies as a 2WD vanning guy, and after a few of those worked my way into a barely used 4WD Ford Quadravan. Talk about a beast - and as far as four wheeling, at a little more than 8K lbs, you had to use your head. I'd air down and run the dunes, and it was great in the snow as long as not too far below the surface there was asphalt or similar - learned quickly once that if you went out on a dirt road covered with snow, that weight would cause it to dig through and what a ride that was! (dig in, climb up, dig in, climb up, and on and on)
I'll stick to listing my 4WD's herein - the non-4WD's are mostly cars and whatever PT Cruisers and HHR's would be, along with a couple 2WD pickups now and then.
Decided to "downsize" after that van to a full-size GMC Jimmy - it weighed probably 2K less. Then on to a Z71 Chevy and then to a couple Toyota Tacoma's, a Mazda B-something, a couple gas Dodge Rams, and then went back to heavy with some diesel Dodge Rams, then back to a 4WD Ford Van again, and more diesel Dodge Rams, along with a two door JK. Even went to dually diesel Rams - long bed crews with 4WD are monsters too. Then got some more gasser Rams, and now getting an Unlimited Rubicon. Oh yes - had a couple Grand Cherokees in that list too - one diesel and one gas.
Right now I have two gasser Rams, and the JL on order. And FWIW - the other vehicles that are 2WD are nice too - but that's not what this is about.
And yes, with multiple 4WDs in the driveway at the same time, the front drivetrains don't get used as much as the rear drivetrains. But in order to tow them behind a coach having 4WD makes it SO much easier...

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
2 Ramchargers
1565131246702232368266.jpg

Subaru Brat

Suzuki SJ410

Kia Sportage (Gen 1, body on frame, RWD/4WD/4WL)

3 Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Trackers
1565130788512-1477118985.jpg

Does the Suzuki SX4 count?
It has AWD with a locking center differential
Oger_20150523_125837_zpsz8uv97qk.jpg

SX4 water crossing.jpg

I like the JL, but if Suzuki was still in the US and they had a convertible Jimny, I probably would not own a Wrangler.
I am not a serious "wheeler" I just need 4WD/AWD capabilities and like going topless.

2018-Suzuki-Jimny-Convertible-Rendering.jpg

I think your screen name is appropriate.
You have owned some

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Fun thread. I never took the time to reflect on my 4wd history. I’ll list the vehicles that I truly put through the ringer off road. Started with an 87 GMC Jimmy. Special place in my heart for this one. First off-road trip was 3N93 in Big Bear. I didn’t know any better. Apparently now you can earn a badge for it. Completed it bone stock except for 33” tires. Then I was hooked and completed nearly every trail in the San Bernardino Mountains. I also explored the entire Baja peninsula with that thing, and man I went through a lot of tires.
Next up was/is a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab. Not your typical off road vehicle, but being involved with search and rescue, it has taken me places it shouldn’t have gone. And most importantly, brought me back. And it has a 500+ mile range. Despite the 160” wheelbase (battleship) it performs amazingly well in varied terrain. The torque of the diesel is a joy off road. Obviously there were a few places that I couldn’t go mainly because of the turning radius. Discretion is the better part of valor, but this beast truly makes me grin when in 4L.
And now, the 2018 JL that I purchased in April of this year. No desert pinstripes yet. It’s still a baby, but looking forward to seeing what it can do. Friends ask “What are you going to do to it?” My response is always “Let’s see what it can’t do stock and add from there.”

12F38D28-098B-4CEB-9C90-4FB5373105FB.jpeg

8C9F6D1E-3328-4A51-9206-3E70BF25D909.jpeg

FA6F5F5D-8D89-4CEC-AF3C-CC19ECB038B1.jpeg

OP
OP
Hawkspring

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2017 F450, 1986 Toyota Pickup
Fun thread. I never took the time to reflect on my 4wd history. I’ll list the vehicles that I truly put through the ringer off road. Started with an 87 GMC Jimmy. Special place in my heart for this one. First off-road trip was 3N93 in Big Bear. I didn’t know any better. Apparently now you can earn a badge for it. Completed it bone stock except for 33” tires. Then I was hooked and completed nearly every trail in the San Bernardino Mountains. I also explored the entire Baja peninsula with that thing, and man I went through a lot of tires.
Next up was/is a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab. Not your typical off road vehicle, but being involved with search and rescue, it has taken me places it shouldn’t have gone. And most importantly, brought me back. And it has a 500+ mile range. Despite the 160” wheelbase (battleship) it performs amazingly well in varied terrain. The torque of the diesel is a joy off road. Obviously there were a few places that I couldn’t go mainly because of the turning radius. Discretion is the better part of valor, but this beast truly makes me grin when in 4L.
And now, the 2018 JL that I purchased in April of this year. No desert pinstripes yet. It’s still a baby, but looking forward to seeing what it can do. Friends ask “What are you going to do to it?” My response is always “Let’s see what it can’t do stock and add from there.”

12F38D28-098B-4CEB-9C90-4FB5373105FB.jpeg

8C9F6D1E-3328-4A51-9206-3E70BF25D909.jpeg

FA6F5F5D-8D89-4CEC-AF3C-CC19ECB038B1.jpeg
Love it, that old Jimmy looks like it took you on all kinds of adventures. Thanks for sharing

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
1973 Bronco
1989 Nissan 720
1994 Ford Ranger
1997 Ford Ranger
2002 Ford Ranger
2005 Toyota Tacoma
2009 Toyota Tacoma
2011 Chevy Silverado
2014 Ford Raptor
2018 Ford Raptor
2018 JL Rubicon

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
LONG POST, INBOUND:
tl;dr: Jeeps and stats are in my signature. Been at it since 2003.

What started my love affair with big dumb chonky 4x4's? Being a little boy in the late 80's. I loved Tonkas and I loved Legos as a kid. There were 2 4x4's that were like life-sized Stompers to me, that used to hang out in my neighborhood: A blue and silver CJ-7 and a Brown and tan Ford Bronco. Both lifted with Swampers, tube bumpers and KC smiley lights. Total 80's retro style. I grew up on ATV's. When I was 19 I transitioned to Jeeps. I had a 1992 Ford Explorer I got from my grandparents in 2002. I knew absolutely nothing about vehicles, I barely knew how to drive. By late 2003 it needed work- More than I could get for it on trade. So I started vehicle shopping. It was down to a Blue Chevy S10 Blazer and a Red Jeep Wrangler. I went with the Jeep and the rest, as they say, is history. From my post in the Confessions of a Mall Crawler Thread (which I suggest you read because it's an excellent thread, top to bottom)
I also have to say, I get it, albeit from a bit of a different angle. I got my first Wrangler in 2003 when I was 19. a few years later, i starting building. And going on trail rides with a local Jeep group. And building. and breaking. And building. and building some more. Getting more seat time on the trail. Choosing better lines. Following guys with way more built rigs to places that I had no buisness being, with a little TJ on 33's. Doing some Intro to off roading stuff with my Jeep club. I loved all of it.

I worked office jobs. Wrenching was a hobby for me. I ended up buying another vehicle (2, actually) to drive daily. But I would always come back to driving my Jeep. Friday? I should drive the Jeep to work. Snowing? Take the Jeep. Nice day? Take the Jeep. I don't want to get out of bed because I hate this job and it's going to be hell today? I could drive the Jeep- that might make it a little better. I'd peel out of my cubicle containment hell for the day, throw my backpack in my Jeep, pull the top down, and hammer out of the parking lot. Sometimes co-workers and neighbors would ask questions. Some assumed I had money and paid for all the work (I didn't). I'm sure some thought worse of me because I was in the driveway clanking and cursing every 10 minutes for at least 4 hours while trying to fix/ install something. Or I show up to work on Monday and the Jeep is still dirty from the trail I had just been on Sunday. I'd get looks. Some were envious. Some were curious. Some were scoffing. But I didn't care. Those people didn't get it.

Now, approaching middle age, with a wife and a son, and a totally different career in a technical field (fixing machines), I find myself here again- starting over, but this time with a strange new brightly colored Jeep (with 4 doors? what is this?). It may be a Rubicon, but won't see as much trail time as my TJ's did; Not due to lack of wanting, but lack of time thanks to career and family obligations that come first. I've spent money on parts to make it trail ready and I still haven't been on the trail. My wife argued I didn't need this one. I wouldn't be able to go out as often. I'm going to "ruin this Jeep like the last 2"- the last two were old Jeeps, and I was young and... not as wise. I drove them that way for a reason: because I liked pushing the envelope. This is easily the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. Still, I guess She doesn't get it, either. EDIT: She does... just isn't as enthusiastic about it because of my ham fisted driving of the last 2.

But your story, the reasons you got a Jeep? Those are the reasons I pulled the trigger on this one, knowing that Even if I can't spend as much time on the rocks in the mountains as I really want to, I'll at least be able to drop the top, and drive home at the end of a long shift. I'll be able to explore a little more. And maybe I'll be able to get back out there more often... with my son. Even though he's only 2, he loves dad's Jeep. He shouts and points out all the Jeeps whenever we are driving. He knows what a winch is and the sound it makes. He "Helped" me install mine last Thursday. He gets it too, I think. And that's reason enough for me.

Sorry for the long post.
and the cycle starts again, anew.

Sponsored

tombovo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sahara, Firecracker Red, 6sp Manual, Leather, LED, Tow, Cold Weather, Infotainment
1990 Toyota HiLux (there was no Tacoma until 1995)
2000 Toyota 4Runner
2018 JL Sahara

All have been manual transmission!

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon in Ocean Blue Metallic
I am going to keep my response all Jeep, but I have plenty of other 4WD vehicles, dual sport motorcycle, experience with 3 and 4 wheel expertise, and a range of off road experience in the Army in the old Chevy trucks and blazers, first and second generation Hummers, M577 command post, 2.5 ton and 5 ton cargo trucks, and even an M113 personnel carrier. My list is in chronological order of the Jeeps, not the years I owned them. My very first Jeep experience was on my dad's best friends CJ7 hunting rig in the Texas Hill Country in the Comfort/Fredericksburg area. My brothers and I used to ride around the ranch, into deep mud holes, sitting on hunting seats bolted to the front fenders. That was one helluva experience.

1980 Grand Wagoneer
1980 CJ5 Golden Eagle (still own)
1996 XJ Sport 2 door
2000 XJ Sport 4 door
2013 JKU Sport (built, see uploaded pictures)
2013 JK Sahara (wife's)
2013 JK Rubicon (wife's, then mine, then she traded it on below)
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 JL Rubicon (mine, and the wife isn't on the title, so no trading it!!)

The first two pictures were my JKU, since traded on RAM 1500 Sport. I have a his and her's picture of our two JKs together on the top of Flagpole Knob in Virginia. Then my wife's Saraha out getting some action at Peter's Mill in Virginia and Red Cloud in Norther Virginia (since closed). Then the JK Rubicon followed by my new JL. My wife is driving the JK Rubi on Yellow Jacket at Rausch Creek. That was one of our funnest days off road together, but she has unfortunately had three back surgeries since then and will likely never wheel again. Lastly there is a picture of our Golden Eagle.

jku yellow jacket.jpg

jku2 yellow jacket.jpg

his and hers JKs.jpg

gypsy soul dirt.jpg

gypsy soul flexing.jpg

trina yellow jacket.jpg

trina2 yellow jacket.jpg

jl.jpg

goldie.jpg

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
89 bronco II stock
97 XJ 2inch/30's,
99 XJ 4.5 rusty's with 32's
98 TJ stock 31s...then toyota (4runner/taco) and lexus (gx470) for a few years, and now have a 2018 JLUR.

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Found the old 99 XJ on 32's!

B1865CC6-B7D2-45DF-98D5-B879C350588C.jpeg