Sponsored

What is your 4wd pedigree? Prior vehicles and experience thread.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
1977 IHC Scout II
1988 Jeep Cherokee
1999 Jeep Cherokee
2013 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited

DSCN0047.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_7818.jpg
Sponsored

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
My grandpa taught me how to drive on a '48 Willys CJ-2A. I've owned a different '48 CJ-2A since 1997, but my JL is my first modern Wrangler.

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I loved my ND Miata! No shame in owning the greatest driver’s car of all time.
Definitely going to miss going sideways every now and then. But, I’m thinking the Jeep can still peel out in the dirt. Pedigree has to start somewhere. Also, I definitely won’t miss having to worry constantly about whether other cars/trucks see me.

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
Never had a truck or SUV
My parents only drove sedans

Decided to get wrangler since since we ( wife, and 2 kids) like going hiking, camping. Going offroading seems like great addition to outdoor adventures

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Vehicles I've wheeled with:
1974 Grand Wagoneer that I had for an extended test drive (a couple of months) when the dealer was trying to get it off his used lot. That was fun, but I ultimately decided on a 1949 Fargo 1/2 ton. I wheeled that along fire roads and back trails. Didn't have a lot of anything, but had clearance, and a great 1st gear that could pull anything, it felt like. Wheeled a buddy's Suzuki Samurai while in the back forty now and then.

Fast forward a bunch of years and I got a 2011 Patriot. It was fun for mild trail driving, which is mostly what I was doing. Back roads, fire and logging trails. It mysteriously started dying. Discovered a starter relay for the security system was corroded, it was a part nearly impossible to get a hold of, and some engineer felt the best place to stick this relay was in the driver's side front wheel well. Me and the mechanics bodged a new connection together for the relay, but I never trusted the Jeep after that.

Upgraded to a '16 Cherokee Trailhawk that I lifted, upgraded the headlights to HID aftermarket, and put a winch on. It was fun doing technical trails in that, and watching Wrangler drivers who had been mocking the "car" get stuck after me. Sadly it was totalled in a collision in July.

I picked up a 2019 Sahara just a couple of weeks ago, and I've got the build list started.

Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I started with a couple of hand-me-down cars, then my first new vehicle ever was a 1985 Chevy S-10 4wd Sport. Used to drive it in several old quarries near where I lived. Then it was stolen and I had a couple of non 4WD vehicles later I got a used 1986 Isuzu P'up. Don't laugh, it was slow but very fun. Did a lot of offroad camping with it. Traded that for a New 1991 Isuzu, when they came with 30" tires. Started a landscape business and worked the hell out of that truck, towed a pair of Jetskis often. Sold that with 161,000 miles (and my friend put another 180,000 on it) when I got my MIL's 96 Chevy 4 door Blazer. I didn't go off road with that much but only had it about a year and a half. Then I bought a 2005 Chevy Silverado, the weird size one with a crew cab but an extra short bed, like an Avalanche without the bizarre bodywork. I've had some vehicles that I really loved but that was my true automobile success story. Slogged through muddy fields, pulled heavy trailers, loaded and overloaded. Offroad camping. After my divorce I spent two months driving all around the countryside, Rocky Mountains, Montana, Wyoming, I visited about 25 states in that truck. Moved to NH and it saw the beach, camping in the white mountains and Maine, the top of Mount Washington with well over 300k on the odometer. I even hauled buckets of salt in the back those years as I plowed snow (but not in that truck, it just got me to the site). I knew that truck so well I would bet my friends that I could park it nose-in or ass-in to a wall and get within an inch of the wall, and I never lost that bet! I moved to VA and finally sold it to a fellow employee with a whopping 368,000 miles and he is still driving it, it breaks my heart seeing it sometimes. At the time I was taking 1000 mile trips to see my family 4 times a year and I knew if it broke down along the way the tow and repairs would cost more than the truck was worth. This is the first time I have a company provided work truck so I don't need an open bed, and I always wanted a Jeep. I love this thing, so fun. Probably not ever going to seriously rock crawl or anything that extreme but it will see plenty of camping and wilderness that would be too much for a lesser vehicle. I'm hoping it is as generally reliable and long lasting as my Chevy was because I love that feeling of knowing a vehicle completely.

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
Cool thread. Thanks OP.
But, I have no pedigree....
I drive a Miata.
I’m going to order a 2020.
I have been to the mall.
Miata and Wrangler compliment each other quite well.

A list of just the Off Road vehicles:

1997 Subaru Legacy L Wagon (Hells yes, this went off road. It's the first one that gave me the itch.)
2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 6.0
2012 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
2002 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser TT
2013 Toyota 4Runner Limited AWD/4x4
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
The first day I owned a wrangler.

grass800.jpg

How that one ended up.

toporock.jpg

Bought this one.

7.jpg

Sold that one. Bought this one.

brokenarrownotch1024.jpg

How it turned out.

CrawlCover2.jpg

Sold that and bought this.

AL1.jpg

And how it currently sits.

CooneyLake1.jpg

This gets worse if you see my wife's Jeeps. :like:

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I had a Hyundai Excel that I tried taking off road on a trail. Maybe that’s one reason it was a real POS :LOL:

I should have gotten a CJ instead. There were so many years of being too practical.

Here’s a pic of one: http://zombdrive.com/images1024_/1990-hyundai-excel-10.jpg

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Jeep Liberty and loved them both. But my hubby’s JKUR was the best! So fun and great adventures. I swear I missed it more than he did when he sold it. Now I have my own JL :rock:

IMG_3921-X3.jpg

IMG_2819-X3.jpg

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
First 4x4, a 1987 Suzuki Samurai JX. Put bigger tires on it and drove the Rubicon in the Jamboree in 1988. And made it! 1987 YJ, the FIRST Wrangler! Lifted, fuel injected, 33" tires, lockrite in the rear, ARBs in the front, NV4500 transmission to name a few of the mods. Joined the San Diego 4 Wheelers. With them, I did the Rubicon again. Tierra del Sol, Superstition Mountain, Colorado, Moab many times, and Arizona. Will be buying a 2020 JLR toward the end of the year.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
2 Ramchargers
1565131246702232368266.jpg

Subaru Brat

Suzuki SJ410

Kia Sportage (Gen 1, body on frame, RWD/4WD/4WL)

3 Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Trackers
1565130788512-1477118985.jpg

Does the Suzuki SX4 count?
It has AWD with a locking center differential
Oger_20150523_125837_zpsz8uv97qk.jpg

SX4 water crossing.jpg

I like the JL, but if Suzuki was still in the US and they had a convertible Jimny, I probably would not own a Wrangler.
I am not a serious "wheeler" I just need 4WD/AWD capabilities and like going topless.

2018-Suzuki-Jimny-Convertible-Rendering.jpg

Last edited:

malligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Land Cruiser
Late 80's Pre-Tacoma Toyota 4x4 P/U
2006 LJ Rubicon
2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium
2016 Toyota Land Cruiser
Possible 2019 JLUR