Dadams20

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
on the budget side Rough country has a the longer shafts for reasonable cost and they are considered stronger then OEM, you should avoid flexing until that is replaced to avoid potential damage ot at least talk to the RE engineers for their recommendation, that is what I did with Rancho regarding this subject, They said I did not have to replace driveline however any higher I would have needed to.

Note yes drive shaft clearance might be an issue likely not though if your geometry is correct it is the length that is the bigger issue
Got it - that makes sense, I like the recommendation to call RE to get their take.. I'll be doing that.. Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
That lift looks awesome Michael! Did you end up having to change out your drive shaft? Clears ok with full flex?

Remember Rubicons have a wider axle, with the JLS or Sahara wheel offset/backspace is important I had originally +18 offset wheels and when I went to the higher lift I had to go to -18 offset to avoid rubbing. Something to keep in mind for those lifting above 2"

HammertunedJL

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR, 12 JKUS
That lift looks awesome Michael! Did you end up having to change out your drive shaft? Clears ok with full flex?
Thanks! I haven’t changed the driveshafts yet but the front driveshaft boot on the transfer case side rubs the inside of the rzeppa joint. Going to change front and rear soon. I was able to align the driveshaft angle for the rear with the adjustable control arms.

OP
OP
Dadams20

Dadams20

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I called Rubicon Express and their feedback is - for the JL7102 lift their R&D have not called for an aftermarket drive shaft yet, as most of the JL's these days are doing well with the geometry as is. I still think it's something to monitor though, esp since the two-door version had some rubbing issues on HammertunedJL's rig..

Sponsored

First Name
Kaden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Unlimited Sport 2020
I called Rubicon Express and their feedback is - for the JL7102 lift their R&D have not called for an aftermarket drive shaft yet, as most of the JL's these days are doing well with the geometry as is. I still think it's something to monitor though, esp since the two-door version had some rubbing issues on HammertunedJL's rig..

With the company saying that the lift didn't call for an aftermarket drive shaft yet, did you ever have to switch it out for a new one? Looking at the same kit. Do you still have it installed after 2 years? What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
With the company saying that the lift didn't call for an aftermarket drive shaft yet, did you ever have to switch it out for a new one? Looking at the same kit. Do you still have it installed after 2 years? What are your thoughts?

Thank you!
I have one of the first (if not the first) Rancho 3.5 lift. Installed Nov of 2018. It has been rock solid and reliable. I love the ride and the adjustable shocks. I have a 2021 Rubicon coming and will also install Rancho.

MarioC

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU RUBICON
I've had my RE 3.5 lift with their twin tube shocks for about 6 months now, no issues so far, rides better than stock. Great bang for the buck.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Express 3.5" JEEP

rottenlv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl jeep wranger rubicon
Ive been offered the RE 3.5 lift with fox shocks at 4wheelparts. MC lifts are on back order but was considering the duel rate 3.5 kit. How have the RE lift kits held up after a couple of years? Tring to figure out if I should wait for the MC or just go for the RE, did you have to replace the driveshaft at all?
Sponsored