Sponsored

3 weeks old, overheats!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I had a little more time to spend on it today after work. Got the engine up to 251 degrees (about 75% on the temp gauge). The fan IS NOT coming on. Which leads me to the N5 fuse (fan power 60A/100A). Unfortunately, that fuse is part of the fuse block of all 5 or 6 "N" fuses. The fuses are mounted to a bus, or metal plate. That entire plate will need to be replaced (if that is, in fact, the problem) as the fuses are not individually replaceable. I think I'm going to call the service manager and tell him what I have figured out so far, in hopes that he will buy my story and order the part ahead of time. Thanks again, to everyone for your help...
Can you check the fuse for continuity with a volt meter?

Might possibly be a fan relay also?
Sponsored

OP
OP

rizzosmith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Alright, here's the latest update....

After calling the service manager, again, and explaining that I am currently without transportation of any kind until my Jeep can be fixed (in a very tactful and polite way). I was able to get an appointment for Tues (7/10). The tech said that the fan power fuse was intact, and the problem was that one of the pins in the electrical connector (to the fan) wasn't fully seated and making proper contact. After repairing the problem they needed to keep the vehicle for second day to repeat the process of getting the motor up to a temp where the fan will kick on. And then making sure it does.

I picked the Jeep up on Thursday afternoon, so far so good.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

After calling the service manager, again, and explaining that I am currently without transportation of any kind until my Jeep can be fixed (in a very tactful and polite way). I was able to get an appointment for Tues (7/10). The tech said that the fan power fuse was intact, and the problem was that one of the pins in the electrical connector (to the fan) wasn't fully seated and making proper contact. After repairing the problem they needed to keep the vehicle for second day to repeat the process of getting the motor up to a temp where the fan will kick on. And then making sure it does.

I like simple fixes and happy endings! Congrats! Shame on that dealership for the 9 days and no loaner deal. It should not matter at all where you purchased the Jeep, and it sounds like they need to expand their service department.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR

Where the heck is this connector I may have the same issue and need to head to EJS in 6 days.

OP
OP

rizzosmith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Where the heck is this connector I may have the same issue and need to head to EJS in 6 days.
It's a large (maybe 2"x2" ?) weatherpack style connector, grey in color. I believe there are 6 wires in the connector, rather large wires, like a 12ga
or maybe even 10ga. Its on the far passenger side of the radiator at the very top. The problem (reportedly) was not that the connector wasn't completely snapped in and properly mated on both ends. The problem was that one of the wires had backed out of the connector and therefore wasn't making contact. You may have to remove the black plastic radiator cover to fully access that area.

Hope this was of some help. Best of luck

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
It was a little low on coolant and sucked air in, I think it’s all cool now.

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yup, glad we went did some testing in the mountains. If there is a problem we know before we hit the trails in Moab.
No doubt.
What time do you think you will roll into Moab Monday?

Sponsored

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Picked up my new 2 door JL not quite 3 weeks ago, everything was mostly going well....
Last weekend I noticed the temp guage was a little over half, which is a little warmer than usual. One of those things that didn't cause me to be alarmed but concerned and curious. Today on the way home from work (in the usual stop and go afternoon traffic on the freeway), the temp gauge got up to about 75% and the engine light came on (the lit picture of the motor, not "check engine"). As I attempted to get over to the right and pull off the freeway (which took a few moments for lane changes and gaps in traffic) the temp guage was pegged and a warning beep came from the dash. I quickly found a safe place to pull onto the shoulder and parked the vehicle. I waited a few moments and popped the hood. No steam, no leaking coolant, the overflow canister for the coolant was at the proper level, and other than being extremely hot in the engine bay, everything seemed fine.

I let the engine cool for about 10 minutes and then re-started the Jeep. The temp guage was at about 30%, so I got on the road again and tried to make it home. It took about 10 minutes but the Jeep overheated again (temp gauge pegged and warning chime sounding). I pulled off the road and checked the coolant again, still fine and no leaks. I let it cool for about 10 minutes again, and was able to make it home with the temp gauge at around 75%. Now that I'm home and can safely look into what might be the problem, I still can't find anything.

I made a service appointment, and even though the vehicle is essentially "new", they can't get me in for service for another 9 days. They had to show restraint not to laugh at me over the phone when I asked about the possibility of a
loaner car to use in the meantime. In full disclosure, the dealership that is doing the service/warranty work is NOT the same dealership where I purchased the vehicle. And I only mention it because I have a few days to gather information from other members here on the forum. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I did a search on "overheating" but nothing came up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Rick
Hi Rick,
You forgot to tell us all how much you paid. Lol . 99% of these threads that start with problems about something. Start with “I paid $50,000 and should not be having this” fill in the blank problem blah blah blah. It’s so funny, I have no idea what the cost of the vehicle has to do with any of this . Somehow people think a 30k jeep with 20k options is better quality. It’s very humorous.

OP
OP

rizzosmith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Hi Rick,
You forgot to tell us all how much you paid. Lol . 99% of these threads that start with problems about something. Start with “I paid $50,000 and should not be having this” fill in the blank problem blah blah blah. It’s so funny, I have no idea what the cost of the vehicle has to do with any of this . Somehow people think a 30k jeep with 20k options is better quality. It’s very humorous.
Oh man, you screwed up. I was only keeping my mouth shut because no one asked....

I get your sense of humor, and I agree with your point. I also understand the frustration of paying ______ for a new vehicle that ends up in the shop for repairs before I've sent off the first monthly payment. And then having to spend a couple hundred bucks to rent a vehicle to make it to work, while my "NEW" vehicle get repaired - because the dealership "doesn't offer" loaner vehicles.

I'm not happy about it. But there are people much worse off than I am, and they aren't complaining. So I'm going to STFU, and make the best of it.
Sponsored