Sponsored

3 1/2 years of 3.6 ownership

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
After reading threads like this on this board I intentionally decided to go with maybe not the most powerful but supposedly the most reliable 3.6L engine rather than some different version. Now at just 51 K miles I had a cylinder misfire CEL. Took it in for service thinking it's something simple to fix, just to receive the call that Jeep is replacing the entire engine (luckily under extended warranty). Guess I didn't get lucky with PentaStar reliability.
Iā€™d say you DID get lucky.

The engine didnā€™t fail in a way that left you stranded, and youā€™re getting a brand new engine after three years of use.

The inconvenience sucks, but youā€™re starting with a new motor, and youā€™re odds of getting another defective one are remote.
Sponsored

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d say you DID get lucky.

The engine didnā€™t fail in a way that left you stranded, and youā€™re getting a brand new engine after three years of use.

The inconvenience sucks, but youā€™re starting with a new motor, and youā€™re odds of getting another defective one are remote.
You are probably right. Just have yet to see if they install the new engine properly and the vehicle drives smooth as it did before.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You are probably right. Just have yet to see if they install the new engine properly and the vehicle drives smooth as it did before.
It'll be fine. A Pentastar swap in a Jeep is easy for a tech.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I have a 2019 JLUR with 3.6/8A with the ESS (first thing I turn off after starting the Jeep) and other than some functional mods Iā€™m still pretty much stock as it remains sitting on the factory 33ā€ KO2s, wheels and suspension. Iā€™m about to cross 24,000 miles in about 27 months of ownership and itā€™s my daily driver.

After all this time behind the wheel Iā€™m of the opinion that the JLUR is an automotive masterpiece. Itā€™s incredibly fun to drive, has an iconic aesthetic, is hands down the most versatile and capable vehicle south of $100K and when nicely optioned (LED, Cold Weather, Leather, 8.4, Tow, Proximity, Steel Bumpers and a textured hardtop came on mine) it is beyond comfortable and pleasing on the inside.

Iā€™m keeping my 3.6/8A for the long term because of its proven track record of reliability, relative simplicity/availability of parts and that if taken care of should provide decades of service. They put the 3.6 in everything ā€” from police cars and taxis to minivans and challengers ā€” and Iā€™m glad this amazing engine is under the hood of my rig. Itā€™s really a blast to drive with this combo on the 4.10 gears with 33ā€s and for me is just the perfect setup.

BTW, Iā€™m currently on oil change #16 in less than 24,000 miles. Itā€™s just too easy and cheap (and gives me an excuse to hang out in the garage) so Iā€™m going a bit overboard. What isnā€™t so cheap is my stubborn refusal to put anything other than top tier 91 in the tank. It gets about 16-17 MPG but it purrs like a kitten and has no knock whatsoever. I love this engine and the Jeep it pulls and donā€™t give a damn what it costs to run it. For me (and I suspect for many of you) itā€™s always worth it.

769C1607-99B8-41D3-AB84-A39FF5CCDF0C.jpeg
Youā€™re changing your oil every 1,500 miles?

I have almost 50% more miles on my ā€˜20 and have changed my oils maybe 1/3 the numbers of time.

To each his own, but I feel youā€™re throwing money down the drain, man.
Sponsored