Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Here's why I don't get remote start:

Thieves able to steal cars with key fobs and keyless start

Posted: Thu 6:06 PM, Aug 30, 2018 |

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Key fobs are meant to make life easier for drivers. Most cars have them to unlock the vehicle. Some even go a step farther and start the car. If your car starts with a key fob, you may be in danger of having a thief steal the car.

WKYT+INVESTIGATES+CAR+THEFTS.jpg

"In the last couple of years, we began to see more evidence of not only breaking in, but people able to start the car and drive off," explained Roger Morris with the National Insurance Crime Bureau. Morris explains that "you used to be able to hotwire cars but that doesn't happen anymore with today's technology."

Morris told WKYT thieves are using something called a 'relay attack device' to intercept the signal coming from a key fob.

"A car is basically a computer on wheels," said Morris. "So once they figure out what that communication is between the fob and the computer on the car, then they've got access to the vehicle."

To see how effective the relay attack devices can be, the National Insurance Crime Bureau bought the device. They tested 35 different makes and models of cars made between 2010 and 2017. The relay attack device was able to unlock and start eighteen of the cars tested. "This device only works on cars that have a keyless remote and push-button start. It talks electronically to the vehicle. It says, 'Iā€™m your fob.'"
Thieves looking to steal something out of your car typically do that with an amplifying device. If a fob is inside a home, the amplifying device can grab the signal and open the doors. To prevent that from happening, you can keep your key fob inside a metal box, aluminum foil, or a bag designed to protect electronics.

Trooper Josh Lawson with Kentucky State Police said, "Most likely if they're looking to make money off of it, they are stealing it to sell it in parts or trade it in to a chop shot to be sold in parts." That's the main reason the chances of getting your stolen car back are not good. "It is on the lower end of our clearance rates for thefts because of the ability to dismantle," Lawson explained.

In Kentucky, the clearance rate is just 16 percent for stolen vehicles. And still, unlocked cars or cars with keys in them are the most likely to be stolen. As for the relay attack device, it's more challenging for thieves to use because of the sophistication.
Thatā€™s what insurance is for
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@nerubi

How's your clam shell style cell phone doing?

Anyway, to not buy a remote start based on your contention that you open up to it getting stolen is laughable.

I'm sure you are also the guy that will not sign up with Google as you will be.....

I'm 70 yo but geeeez .......

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@nerubi

How's your clam shell style cell phone doing?

Anyway, to not buy a remote start based on your contention that you open up to it getting stolen is laughable.

I'm sure you are also the guy that will not sign up with Google as you will be.....

I'm 70 yo but geeeez .......
What the hell is Google? You young kids and your crazy computer games.
I don't understand the concept of remote start. People are too delicate to get into a cold car for a few minutes and would rather waste gas instead? About as dumb as spending $500 to not have to push a button to unlock the doors. Jeez. This country has really become lazy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29342

Back in the early 90s they where stealing cars left and right and I donā€™t think to many people had the remote start. Also with every remote start I had when you press the break it would cut the engine off if the Vehicle vehicle wasnā€™t in the on position

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Here's why I don't get remote start:

Thieves able to steal cars with key fobs and keyless start

Posted: Thu 6:06 PM, Aug 30, 2018 |

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Key fobs are meant to make life easier for drivers. Most cars have them to unlock the vehicle. Some even go a step farther and start the car. If your car starts with a key fob, you may be in danger of having a thief steal the car.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my reading of the article it seems to me that this vulnerability doesn't depend on remote start, it just depends on having a key fob of any kind, since JLs are "push to start."

Anyway, I love the remote start. It locks the doors (if they weren't already locked), and, if the temperature is below 40F outside, it turns on the drivers side seat heat and steering wheel heat and blasts the internal heat & fans.

Once you enter the vehicle the fan velocity is cut (as soon as you open the door). Also, even though the Jeep is running and you presumably have the key fob on you, you still have to push the "start" button to activate the radio and electronics and to be able to shift out of park. (Maybe this is to prevent the vulnerability described in the article?)

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my reading of the article it seems to me that this vulnerability doesn't depend on remote start, it just depends on having a key fob of any kind, since JLs are "push to start."

Anyway, I love the remote start. It locks the doors (if they weren't already locked), and, if the temperature is below 40F outside, it turns on the drivers side seat heat and steering wheel heat and blasts the internal heat & fans.

Once you enter the vehicle the fan velocity is cut (as soon as you open the door). Also, even though the Jeep is running and you presumably have the key fob on you, you still have to push the "start" button to activate the radio and electronics and to be able to shift out of park. (Maybe this is to prevent the vulnerability described in the article?)
My point is that no matter what professional thieves can bypass anything that cars have and most people think are steal proof. Amateurs just take ones from stupid people that leave it running with the keys in it. My city is having record car thefts because people are stupid and leaving them running to keep their butts from getting a little cold.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The heated steering wheel is worth it's weight in gold.

I kick myself daily for taking the Tech Package over the Cold Weather Package.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My point is that no matter what professional thieves can bypass anything that cars have and most people think are steal proof. Amateurs just take ones from stupid people that leave it running with the keys in it. My city is having record car thefts because people are stupid and leaving them running to keep their butts from getting a little cold.
Yeah for sure. Here in Denver leaving your car running to warm up with the keys in it is illegal, and they run big crackdowns to catch "puffers" as they call them. But remote starts where the doors are locked is legal.

My fear, with respect to hackers, is what happens once self driving cars become commonplace.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase

The difference is the range. A remote start FOB has a longer range.

In a typical single family home, the distance probably doesn't matter much, but in an multi-family setting (apartment/condo), the distance between the FOB and the vehicle could be the difference.