Sponsored

Factory remote start

• Thread starter Deleted member 29342
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 29342

when remote starter is add with the cold weather package, does it kick in the ac/heat depending on the outside condition? “Even when the heat or ac is off”
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
when remote starter is add with the cold weather package, does it kick in the ac/heat depending on the outside condition? “Even when the heat or ac is off”
It turns the blowers on high until the driver's door is opened. That's all I know so far, works pretty well.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
If your vehicle is parked outside, it would be an excellent upgrade. Mine spends 90% of it's time in the garage, so I didn't get the remote start.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
What if I have a Rubicon? ( waiting for it to be delivered)
If your vehicle is parked outside, it would be an excellent upgrade. Mine spends 90% of it's time in the garage, so I didn't get the remote start.
Agreed - it doesn't actually matter on trim level (inside joke). It's totally worth it if parked outside!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Here's why I don't get remote start:

Thieves able to steal cars with key fobs and keyless start

Posted: Thu 6:06 PM, Aug 30, 2018 |

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Key fobs are meant to make life easier for drivers. Most cars have them to unlock the vehicle. Some even go a step farther and start the car. If your car starts with a key fob, you may be in danger of having a thief steal the car.

WKYT+INVESTIGATES+CAR+THEFTS.jpg

"In the last couple of years, we began to see more evidence of not only breaking in, but people able to start the car and drive off," explained Roger Morris with the National Insurance Crime Bureau. Morris explains that "you used to be able to hotwire cars but that doesn't happen anymore with today's technology."

Morris told WKYT thieves are using something called a 'relay attack device' to intercept the signal coming from a key fob.

"A car is basically a computer on wheels," said Morris. "So once they figure out what that communication is between the fob and the computer on the car, then they've got access to the vehicle."

To see how effective the relay attack devices can be, the National Insurance Crime Bureau bought the device. They tested 35 different makes and models of cars made between 2010 and 2017. The relay attack device was able to unlock and start eighteen of the cars tested. "This device only works on cars that have a keyless remote and push-button start. It talks electronically to the vehicle. It says, 'I’m your fob.'"
Thieves looking to steal something out of your car typically do that with an amplifying device. If a fob is inside a home, the amplifying device can grab the signal and open the doors. To prevent that from happening, you can keep your key fob inside a metal box, aluminum foil, or a bag designed to protect electronics.

Trooper Josh Lawson with Kentucky State Police said, "Most likely if they're looking to make money off of it, they are stealing it to sell it in parts or trade it in to a chop shot to be sold in parts." That's the main reason the chances of getting your stolen car back are not good. "It is on the lower end of our clearance rates for thefts because of the ability to dismantle," Lawson explained.

In Kentucky, the clearance rate is just 16 percent for stolen vehicles. And still, unlocked cars or cars with keys in them are the most likely to be stolen. As for the relay attack device, it's more challenging for thieves to use because of the sophistication.

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
It blasts the front defrost and also has the option of turning on the seat heater and steering wheel heater (which is a new nice feature for me)

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
The drivers seat heater and steering wheel heater come on automatically with a remote start when the temperature is 40F or lower, at least for my Rubicon. I am guessing the fans/heater will automatically come on to maintain the desired internal temperature also. I hope the AC works the same way.
Sponsored