Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi all.

Now that it has gotten very cold here -13F, my engine at idles at about 1500 RPM for about 3 mins and then kicks down to about 1100 RPM. It stays here until the engine pretty much reaches operating temperature (160F) before it fully kicks down to about 600 RPM. All software is up to date. Does yours do this? Again, this only happens in very cold weather but can't figure out why it doesn't kick down until it's practically at operating temp. Thanks!
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Emissions. It keeps high idle at the initial start up to warm up the cats. I end up putting catless headers on many of my cars and I always take the high idle out when I tune the car.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Emissions. It keeps high idle at the initial start up to warm up the cats. I end up putting catless headers on many of my cars and I always take the high idle out when I tune the car.
And where might one find catless headers for the JL? For science of course.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And where might one find catless headers for the JL? For science of course.
I have not run headers on my JL. I have on all my other Jeeps and numerous cars. I would imagine someone will come out with catless headers at sometime. To be honest, I probably won’t do it on this Jeep. It’s not really worth the trouble in regards to performance or emissions. It won’t make much more power and the 3.6 sounds like poop with an aftermarket exhaust.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I have not run headers on my JL. I have on all my other Jeeps and numerous cars. I would imagine someone will come out with catless headers at sometime. To be honest, I probably won’t do it on this Jeep. It’s not really worth the trouble in regards to performance or emissions. It won’t make much more power and the 3.6 sounds like poop with an aftermarket exhaust.
Same here. The emissions stuff is usually the first to go here. I keep telling myself I won't do it to my jeep, but it's only a matter of time before the modding bug comes rearing its ugly head....

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same here. The emissions stuff is usually the first to go here. I keep telling myself I won't do it to my jeep, but it's only a matter of time before the modding bug comes rearing its ugly head....
Tell me about. I can never leave anything good enough alone.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Hi all.

Now that it has gotten very cold here -13F, my engine at idles at about 1500 RPM for about 3 mins and then kicks down to about 1100 RPM. It stays here until the engine pretty much reaches operating temperature (160F) before it fully kicks down to about 600 RPM. All software is up to date. Does yours do this? Again, this only happens in very cold weather but can't figure out why it doesn't kick down until it's practically at operating temp. Thanks!
Mine idles at 1500 also when the temp is below 10. Ilet it idle for several minutes and the engine temperature was up to 168 and it was still at 1500rpm. I turned it off and restart and still at 1500 so I put it in gear and drove it. Put it in neutral at the first stop sign I came to and it was idling normally.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just get in and drive gently until oil temp is normal. I don't idle much, but I don't remember mine idling at 1500. It has a manual transmission, though.

Tom R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Audi S4
I have a manual as well and it idles really high. It will be over 2K until it comes down to normal after a few minutes. Have to ride the break to keep it from taking off
Sponsored