Need help deciding on 2017 Rubicon or JL

strebeld

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Looking at buying my first Jeep! A dealer has a good deal on a new 2017 Rubicon all decked out. My question is it worth waiting for the JL even though I'll only be able to fit the Sport\Sahara into my budget with the JL? Anything other thing JK owners will be severly missing out in the JL?
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Better on-road manners, easier soft top, easier windshield lowering, Carplay (or whatever the Android equivalent is), larger tires (at least if you can get the JL Rubicon, not sure how JL Sport compares to JK Rubicon).

I've never liked or owned the JK, so I'm probably not the best person to address the differences, but there have to be a few other threads tackling this too.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I guess I'd say if you really want the off-road capabilities, you'll be happier with the Rubicon features. If you want the convertible driving experience, a Sport S JL would probably be your choice (and you can always add more off-road features later).

Legal disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for your enjoyment of your fine new FCA product.

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Looking at buying my first Jeep! A dealer has a good deal on a new 2017 Rubicon all decked out. My question is it worth waiting for the JL even though I'll only be able to fit the Sport\Sahara into my budget with the JL? Anything other thing JK owners will be severly missing out in the JL?
Have you test driven the JK? If you like it, I'd go for it.

I rented a fairly new JKU for a few days during a recent road trip and afterwards, I realized that I couldn't live with it as my sole vehicle. Too bad because there are some good deals out there.

roymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 tundra
I'm on the fence as well...JKs have been produced for a decade and they're about as reliable as an FCA product can be.
I've watched every video thus far and I have no doubt the JLU is a more refined Jeep in nearly every way.

My 2 main decision points are...
1) Is a JLU truly worth spending $5-7K more (JKU Sport S to JLU Sport S)??..discounts are pretty good right now.
2) What are the chances FCA gets the JLU perfect and the first year has no issues??..i've always said i'd never buy a first run model year.

I'm leaning for a heavily discount JK...there are dealerships with 80-100 JKUs (17/18s) on the lot with JLs now arriving. They have to be ready to move them...

Gpndavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2
If manual transmission, I might go with the JK. If automatic, it would be hard to pass up that 8 speed. If you are going to drive serious trails, then the decision is easy...Rubicon.

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
JL is a far better vehicle than the JK, even on safety alone.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
He is saying jk rubicon over JL sport s.
Ah, I missed that. In that case, I would probably agree if he is going to use the off-road capabilities. If not, go with the JL.

Carlton_Banks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
If you are on a budget, wait a couple months. Word has it the JK will have rebates.
Sponsored