Most Scenic Moab Trail?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Most of the trail is no big deal....there are two obstacles that over the years have eroded and been dug out by tires to make things more difficult, and using the Moab trail book, it would be rated difficult. A stock rubicon with very careful tire placement should be able to make it, but I'd be cautious doing it alone.
The first rolly part of fins and things I think will be ok with a stock rubi. There wereguys on the back half of fins and hells revenge with JKs on 33 leaving parts on the trail. No knowledge of their skill level.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The first rolly part of fins and things I think will be ok with a stock rubi. There wereguys on the back half of fins and hells revenge with JKs on 33 leaving parts on the trail. No knowledge of their skill level.
I don't know if it has changed for the worse, but in 2015 I easily did Finns n Things with my Rubi a 2" lift and 33s with no trouble. My friend did it in a Sahara with no lift and 32s. He was on the skid plates a bit, but did fine. You have skid plates. It is ok to use them.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I don't know if it has changed for the worse, but in 2015 I easily did Finns n Things with my Rubi a 2" lift and 33s with no trouble. My friend did it in a Sahara with no lift and 32s. He was on the skid plates a bit, but did fine. You have skid plates. It is ok to use them.

Did you do the back half after there is a cross over at the road? There was one bad transition that was water filled, so none of us knew how steep it was. I bottomed with 37s and a 4 in lift. They damaged some stuff there as well. Never stranded and don’t know what they broke. There were also some rocky sections to be careful in, but doable,

Most of the damage they did was on hells revenge.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you do the back half after there is a cross over at the road? There was one bad transition that was water filled, so none of us knew how steep it was. I bottomed with 37s and a 4 in lift. They damaged some stuff there as well. Never stranded and don’t know what they broke. There were also some rocky sections to be careful in, but doable,

I'm pretty sure we did, but there wasn't any water when we were there. We wend down some tough steps that hit my gas tank skid and my hitch drug down it. I can't remember if there was a bypass, but we didn't take it. My buddy bashed his gas tank skid plate up quite a bit, but again, that's why it is there. We're going to have one bone stock JKU with us in October, so we'll have to figure out a way to get him through or around some stuff. We'll do some challenging stuff, but we don't want to break anything, either, as it's a long way from home. Does Hell's Revenge have bypasses for the tough stuff? Our group consists of my JL and a 2 door Jk, both lifted with 35's, both Rubicons, and then the non-lifted JK with 32's, a JK that will likely have a 2" lift and 33's, no lockers, my JKU Rubicon with 2" lift, 33's, and finally the stock JKU. I'm trying to talk him into at least tires, but I also know that if one is willing to scratch the skid plates, it will surprise some folks as to what it can do. We've got 3 winches among the Jeeps, too, so that may help a bit with him.

Deezflops

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU

I had looked at the trail map for Fins. It did appear to cross the road you came in on, is that what you're saying? So an option would be to just do the first half and jump back off on that road - probably no issues there with the first half?

Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure we did, but there wasn't any water when we were there. We wend down some tough steps that hit my gas tank skid and my hitch drug down it. I can't remember if there was a bypass, but we didn't take it. My buddy bashed his gas tank skid plate up quite a bit, but again, that's why it is there. We're going to have one bone stock JKU with us in October, so we'll have to figure out a way to get him through or around some stuff. We'll do some challenging stuff, but we don't want to break anything, either, as it's a long way from home. Does Hell's Revenge have bypasses for the tough stuff? Our group consists of my JL and a 2 door Jk, both lifted with 35's, both Rubicons, and then the non-lifted JK with 32's, a JK that will likely have a 2" lift and 33's, no lockers, my JKU Rubicon with 2" lift, 33's, and finally the stock JKU. I'm trying to talk him into at least tires, but I also know that if one is willing to scratch the skid plates, it will surprise some folks as to what it can do. We've got 3 winches among the Jeeps, too, so that may help a bit with him.
Dan / all,

Did Hell's Revenge main loop (not things like escalator) with stock JLU Rubicon in April - I think as you said with a bit of belly pan scraping it's doable as is Fins and things. Both are similar and in similar area. Did enjoy looking at the tougher offshoots, BUT was alone and stock so I'll save that for another trip. I too did not experience water on Fins so don't know the location of that obstacle.

Top of the world was a bit of work and needed locker for a few of the lines I took but I know of at least one bypass. Once your at the top, the return trip that is a bit to the east and has a fair amount of ledges and a few climbs that I think are what folks are referring to as advanced. I'm with you in terms of needing to drive back home - sometimes we ended up in spots that we're more than expected but fun and mostly because of the long wheel base and lack of lift caused the skid plates to get a work out.

Last edited:

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I had looked at the trail map for Fins. It did appear to cross the road you came in on, is that what you're saying? So an option would be to just do the first half and jump back off on that road - probably no issues there with the first half?
Yes and the first part is way more fun. Honestly you could be careful and probably be ok, and it depends what how worried are you about your under carriage. My wife (spotter) thinks they had skimpy control arm guards or something that got broke.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and the first part is way more fun. Honestly you could be careful and probably be ok, and it depends what how worried are you about your under carriage. My wife (spotter) thinks they had skimpy control arm guards or something that got broke.
Yep, good spotting and communication increases dramatically what a Jeep and driver are capable of conquering, for sure!

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
The big steps are on the back part of fins for sure I would think. From the out and back to hells gate there is one creek crossing with no bypass. With 37's rolled up it slow with and did not hit anything. There are quite a few bypasses, I got lost on one of them making a big circle... The guys with JLU JK's and 33's made it with some scrapping that is where they broke something, but I think it was after market armor of some kind. They were of they overly protective type though from what we could tell.

The loop part of Hell's revenge, after Hells gate, I do not recall any big obstacles, few drops. it is more of a "don't look down" while on the fins. There are the various hot tubs but they all have bypasses. Hellsgate I think is a skill issue, someone has done it in a kia on you tube. It was banned for my rental jeep. We saw a razor flip on it, with little warning.

With a group and no aversion to skid plate usage it will be all good. 32's may require some help. Just put the best jeep in front as a winch point.

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, good spotting and communication increases dramatically what a Jeep and driver are capable of conquering, for sure!
I've been known to be the spotter knowing what to look for and wife the driver. I feel way more confident that I can get the Jeep over obstacles with her at the helm and me doing the navigating (thanks to 4 low it's not going anywhere in a hurry). She's getting better for sure at the spotting, but honestly sometimes watching articulation and what a Jeep is capable of from the trail (aka spotting) is more fun :like: then behind the wheel.

Down side is she feels terrible when I have no choice but to use the skid plates ;):surprised:. Honestly she drove 80% of the hardest parts when we first got the Jeep because I was spotting.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I've been known to be the spotter knowing what to look for and wife the driver. I feel way more confident that I can get the Jeep over obstacles with her at the helm and me doing the navigating (thanks to 4 low it's not going anywhere in a hurry). She's getting better for sure at the spotting, but honestly sometimes watching articulation and what a Jeep is capable of from the trail (aka spotting) is more fun :like: then behind the wheel.

Down side is she feels terrible when I have no choice but to use the skid plates ;):surprised:. Honestly she drove 80% of the hardest parts when we first got the Jeep because I was spotting.
my wife sucks at throttle/brake control or I would have her drive more of the rocky stuff. That said she can handle the front side of Fins without issue.

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
Metal Masher and Flat Iron Mesa also have some beautiful views. plus they're usually less crowded trails too.

A drive up to the La Sal mountains is pretty spectacular too.
you can connect to La Sal from Onion Creek Trail as well.

Last edited:

stickman

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 2018 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
One trail not to miss if you are into spectacular scenery is Lockhart Basin. It is an all-day run starting near Hurrah Pass and ends on Highway 211 near Needles. There is one option that takes you down to the Colorado River. There are also 2 plane wrecks to explore along the way if you know where to look...

I am sure you can camp along the trail if you want.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One trail not to miss if you are into spectacular scenery is Lockhart Basin. It is an all-day run starting near Hurrah Pass and ends on Highway 211 near Needles. There is one option that takes you down to the Colorado River. There are also 2 plane wrecks to explore along the way if you know where to look...

I am sure you can camp along the trail if you want.
Thanks! Are you the Stickman that does some pretty amazing photography I've seen on other forums?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Trail recon on you tube is doing a video series of a recent trip to Moab.

So far they showed top of the world, hells revenge, poison spider.

Pretty cool footage of the scenery.
Sponsored