Sponsored

Poll: Steering problems on the 2018 Wrangler JL

Poll: What do you think will fix the current steering problems on our Jeep Wrangler JLs?

• Total voters

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Build date of March here. I dropped my JL Rubi off at the Jeep dealer yesterday to have it inspected and looked at for the steering issues. I think mine is not one of the bad ones fortunately but I think it is still not normal. It wanders more than my JKU did. The dealership performed an alignment, free of charge and under warranty with 3500 miles on it. They did nothing with the steering box or anything else.. I don't feel an improvement after the alignment, they said everything is normal and acting normal.

Not sure what to think.
Sponsored

bzjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build date of March here. I dropped my JL Rubi off at the Jeep dealer yesterday to have it inspected and looked at for the steering issues. I think mine is not one of the bad ones fortunately but I think it is still not normal. It wanders more than my JKU did. The dealership performed an alignment, free of charge and under warranty with 3500 miles on it. They did nothing with the steering box or anything else.. I don't feel an improvement after the alignment, they said everything is normal and acting normal.

Not sure what to think.
Interesting, I also have a build date of March and recently took it into the dealership where I complained of wandering and a dead spot in the steering wheel. I explicitly mentioned the TSB that has been mentioned in other threads and they performed it free of charge. I've been driving the vehicle normally for about a week now and there's a noticeable difference (better) in terms of the wandering issue, but the dead spot in the steering wheel still remains. I'm at 3,900 miles on the ODO.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Interesting, I also have a build date of March and recently took it into the dealership where I complained of wandering and a dead spot in the steering wheel. I explicitly mentioned the TSB that has been mentioned in other threads and they performed it free of charge. I've been driving the vehicle normally for about a week now and there's a noticeable difference (better) in terms of the wandering issue, but the dead spot in the steering wheel still remains. I'm at 3,900 miles on the ODO.
Same exact story as me. Same build date and about the same miles also. My wandering is not there as much anymore and it no longer darts. Lowering PSI from 47 to 36 as the door says helped but the TSB I feel was the the thing that really helped. The issue now is when it does wander for what i consider real reasons, such as cross wind or hit an odd bump in the road, I feel I just do not correct the steering correctly because of that large dead spot. Then you get into a back and forth on the steering and it just feels odd. I have had an 02 TJ, 15 JK and now an 18 JL as daily drivers so its not a I am used to a sports car and now drive a jeep thing.

thegort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S, 2-door, 2.0
I just picked up a 2-door Sport S, 2.0L JL last sunday with a build date of 08/18, i am having the same issue with the steering. Brought it to the dealer today and he said nothing is wrong with it....does the TSB apply to the 2-door? Anyone else having a simialar issue with the 2-door? thanks for the help!

Sponsored

SittiB

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Just picked up my JLUR, drove it 1800 miles, and have no steering issues, not sure why there is so many posts about this. I have read some have the settings for the Turbo steering, and once adjusted, all was good, Is this the real solution?
Likewise not having this issue, have 2018 JL for 6 weeks, at first a little play, adjusted tires to 37, play is negligible, it is not direct steering like our GMC Denali, but was not expecting that...must have gotten a good one...

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
The date on door jam says 7-18 but my build sheet says June production. Not sure what that’s about. So far at only 450 Miles steering seems ok. I don’t notice drifting at low speeds and been it’s 100 degrees here lately. From dealership my tires are in the 35-36 psi range.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Mine was built and assembled in the Feb-March window. Initially the steering was a disappointment. By lowering the TP to 32 cold and having the TSB flash it's noticeably better. It still moves pretty quickly and it does want to follow the highway grooves. Nothing unmanageable though. Way better than my old 2005 LJ.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed immediately on my way home from the lot last week, my Sahara drifted in the lane and keeping it steady was difficult.

The next morning I checked tire pressure and lowered it from low 40s to around 34, and it handles tons better.

I noticed in the afternoon, in the Florida heat, it gets difficult again, and when I look at the tire pressures they are around 37 38, where as in the early morning they are around 33 34, whe it is handling great.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed immediately on my way home from the lot last week, my Sahara drifted in the lane and keeping it steady was difficult.

The next morning I checked tire pressure and lowered it from low 40s to around 34, and it handles tons better.

I noticed in the afternoon, in the Florida heat, it gets difficult again, and when I look at the tire pressures they are around 37 38, where as in the early morning they are around 33 34, whe it is handling great.
My issue was the same when I first got it. I had to keep both hands on the wheel to keep it straight right off the lot. It was like this for weeks but either seemed to get better or I built a tolerance for it and just didn't notice. Well, after taking it to @TTEChris for some bumper work, he test drove it and said it had some play but not a whole lot. He also advised that I should try lowering my tire psi to 35. The next day I took it to Discount Tire Co...had them lower the pressure and since that day, my Jeep doesn't wander. I can one-hand steer it now. It's actually really nice to drive tbh.

And same here, the heat along with driving will increase psi. This is normal. Mine will get to about 37-38 during this time. But when I commute at night the PSI is around 36 and it's a really nice drive.

I'm thinking my "issue" wasn't a real issue at all...just needed the right psi.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My issue was the same when I first got it. I had to keep both hands on the wheel to keep it straight right off the lot. It was like this for weeks but either seemed to get better or I built a tolerance for it and just didn't notice. Well, after taking it to @TTEChris for some bumper work, he test drove it and said it had some play but not a whole lot. He also advised that I should try lowering my tire psi to 35. The next day I took it to Discount Tire Co...had them lower the pressure and since that day, my Jeep doesn't wander. I can one-hand steer it now. It's actually really nice to drive tbh.

And same here, the heat along with driving will increase psi. This is normal. Mine will get to about 37-38 during this time. But when I commute at night the PSI is around 36 and it's a really nice drive.

I'm thinking my "issue" wasn't a real issue at all...just needed the right psi.
PSI fixes the wandering problem for a large percentage of JL owners for sure. With the luck of the draw, many of us still have the wandering problem even after setting the PSI to the door jam or even a few points lower. Some have the steering problem fixed after tightening the loose ball joints.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
yes, lets sue and yet we complain about the cost of these rigs as FCA jacks the price another 1000 to cover the class action cost. LOL
Hmmm, I'd pay the $1,000 extra if my JLs steering didn't suck. Even my dealership confirmed there is a steering problem and that it is NOT a Jeep thing.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There is now a fix for the 2018 JL steering problem: Caster Adjustment and Steering box adjustment. Here is the video:

Sponsored