Wrangler Steering Issues - SURVEY

parkertl

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392 XR, 21 S Plaid, 03 Terminator
Bumping up.... completed the survey and have also filed a complaint with the NTSB....Steering and Braking are way too serious to not have all hands on deck proactively communicating to owners about.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
You may have better luck reaching out to nhtsa than ntsb

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
My entire steering wandering was not electric/hydraulic, it was strictly a matter of excessive air pressure which allowed ONLY THE TIRE CROWNS TO EFECTIVELY contact the road--

Complete alignment and compliant steering after dropping air pressure to 30 psi-

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping up.... completed the survey and have also filed a complaint with the NTSB....Steering and Braking are way too serious to not have all hands on deck proactively communicating to owners about.
Thank you for completing the survey!

Sponsored

Wicked Weasel

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL - Build date 06/18
JLUR - My build date is June 18th. No steering issues. 1300 miles. will fill out survey later.

Joe Cool

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My entire steering wandering was not electric/hydraulic, it was strictly a matter of excessive air pressure which allowed ONLY THE TIRE CROWNS TO EFECTIVELY contact the road--

Complete alignment and compliant steering after dropping air pressure to 30 psi-

W.E.

JIMBO
You should check the required tire pressure on the door. If it calls for a higher pressure, having them significantly lower could prevent you from seeking recourse from FCA if you have a steering failure related accident. I am fighting the steering issue and my attorney (a fellow jeep owner ) warned me to not do any alterations on the steering and to make sure my tires were correctly inflated. If you had the same serious wandering steering issue as me, lower tire pressure and adding a more effective steering damper will improve the feel of your steering, but you are simply treating the symptions and not fixing the problem.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
If you want to assure you have the correct tire pressure you can check the contact patch rather than going off the door plate.
To do this, you'll need flat level ground that is dry, and preferable clean.
Take a piece of chalk and make a line across the tread of the tire. Drive forward (or backward either will work) for a few feet. Stop and look at the chalk line on your tire to see if it is gone or partially there. If just the center rubs off you're over inflated. If the outside edges rub off you're under inflated. Ideally the entire line across the tread wipes off showing the full width of the tire made contact with the ground.
That said, this should happen at the recommended tire pressure.

cableline01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
HAHA i did the survey and at the end for the video it took me to my video... Just a update im having issues trying to get the Dealer to set an appointment. They keep telling me that they are going to handle it but no one calls me back. If this keeps up im going to get a hold of FCA corp office.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
HAHA i did the survey and at the end for the video it took me to my video... Just a update im having issues trying to get the Dealer to set an appointment. They keep telling me that they are going to handle it but no one calls me back. If this keeps up im going to get a hold of FCA corp office.
Haha! Thanks for completing the survey. I hope you don't mind that I used your video! :cwl:

And yes, send them a certified letter! :mad:

Mickgolf00

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Survey complete! Hopefully something comes out of this...very concerning!

Also filed a complaint with the NHTSA with the video link you provided in the survey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TaiMc

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Survey complete! Hopefully something comes out of this...very concerning!

Also filed a complaint with the NHTSA with the video link you provided in the survey.
Thank you!

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Took the survey. Mine steers pretty well - feels like I kind of expected for a Jeep, i.e., looser than standard suv and a tad busy on the highway.
Could be a bit tighter. But no concerns driving it, even at 80mph.

cableline01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Update: After calling the sales manager 3 time to get them to move and (they didn't call me back like the told me they would) the talked to the service manager and expedited me to get into service. I have my car at the dealer. Make sure you sign up for jeep wave, you will get a free rental car while your Jeep is in the shop. As soon as they get back to me with the issues ill update.
Sponsored