Sponsored

Do 2017 Wranglers have steering problems?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I’m devastated. I had a wrangler in the late 90’s and I’m ready to get another. Was really excited for the 2020 but looks like people are reporting the same problem. Does anybody know if 2017 wranglers have the steering and weld issues? Now I’m thinking about getting a used 2017, only thing is I really want the uconnect. Is it possible to install that system in a 2017? I live in the city among too much traffic to have the steering wheel stick. Thanks all.
Sponsored

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
All year Wranglers have had death wobble issues as they age. I have an 18 JLUR and have no issues with the steering. You have to remember when reading the forums that of the 100s of thousands of JLs sold that it only takes a small percentage of those reporting issues to make it sound like all the Wranglers have issues. People dont come on here to report no issues. I suggest you find one you like and take it on a long test drive on the highway and make sure it drives good before buying it.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I’m devastated. I had a wrangler in the late 90’s and I’m ready to get another. Was really excited for the 2020 but looks like people are reporting the same problem. Does anybody know if 2017 wranglers have the steering and weld issues? Now I’m thinking about getting a used 2017, only thing is I really want the uconnect. Is it possible to install that system in a 2017? I live in the city among too much traffic to have the steering wheel stick. Thanks all.
:idea: You mean a 2018 JK

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The new JL's have dramatically improved ride and handling characteristics compared to the previous JK. That being said the steering and ride are not what you'll find in a typical SUV. But typical SUVs can't do what the Wrangler can do.

Weld issues were a first year problem that was quickly resolved. Steering problems seem to be an issue on a minority of new Wranglers ... my 2018 JLUR has not had any steering issues whatsoever.

I would strongly recommend a new JL Wrangler over a 2017 JK version. And as other posters above have suggested, test drive a few and make sure YOU are happy with the driving characteristics.

Sponsored

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Also a 2017 or older will not have the newest UConnect that you will want. That is 2018 and newer only and it cannot be added to the older model JKs

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
@Arterius2

Omg... this is rich... a JKU owner claiming that the next generation of Wrangler is soccer mom’d. As a former TJ and YJ owner, this is hilarious. They probably think that because their Rubicon is the “Hard Rock” edition, that makes it harder than the JL. The “trim packages” they’re referring to are what exactly...? Just additional stickers that make the jeeps “hard rockier”? Lol, this is classic
Sponsored