CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I just noticed this picture from another post … the switch is the other way in this one? Do they come in both styles?
Hi Steve! We've made some running production changes as we've moved forward with the harness. One of them was to standardize all production kits to be the same with Jeep mode in the down position. Before making this change we just were insuring that the labeling was correct. PM me if it is bothersome to you and we can see what options exist to change yours.
Sponsored

FLSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-door Rubicon & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
Hi Steve! We've made some running production changes as we've moved forward with the harness. One of them was to standardize all production kits to be the same with Jeep mode in the down position. Before making this change we just were insuring that the labeling was correct. PM me if it is bothersome to you and we can see what options exist to change yours.
Thanks for the offer but I think I am good to go as is. If it becomes an issue, I will let you know.

Steve

drg87

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi John - You say you found them on the forward part of the T - you should be good to go. The white/grey should go on/off with the parking light switch to confirm you have the right wire. Similarly, the yellow wire should "blink" with the left turn signal. (These tests should be performed with fuses F107 and F109 temporarily removed if your Jeep has the optional trailer wiring package.) I think you may have the right wires identified and then just follow the "Figure 5" diagram in the instructions to connect the wires to the Cool Tech harness.
Sorry that I didn't reply right away, but time pressure of getting ready for a trip kept me away. I got e-mail from customer support and this reply which was great. The answer above is exactly what I needed to do. My confusion was only with not finding the wires going to the back of the jeep. I finally eliminated all the paired wires, all the wires of the wrong gauge, and then figured that none of the wires going to the back of the Jeep were correct. So, I cut the ones that were the right color and thickness going to the front of the Jeep and all was good.

Great customer service from CoolTech.

FLSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)
Do you tow with the ignition off or in accessory, the owners manual does not say. Thanks
With my ‘99 TJ it was accessory mode to keep the steering wheel unlocked (free to move). I haven’t received my JL yet so I am not sure if anything has changed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
With my ‘99 TJ it was accessory mode to keep the steering wheel unlocked (free to move). I haven’t received my JL yet so I am not sure if anything has changed.
@SandBucket

The JL is a whole different animal so to speak then your TJ or say with a JK.

Do lots of research so you know the drill to use with the JL.

For flat towing a JL, pulling it with all 4 wheels on the ground, for a long distance, etc. you must have the automatic transmission in park, transfer case in neutral and ignition off.

If you have a manual transmission, you must have the manual transmission in highest forward gear, transfer case in neutral and ignition off.

Note: With the ignition off, steering is not locked on a JL.

Note: Highest forward gear when flat towing the manual, just in case it inadvertently engaged.

Never ever dolly tow a JL with either front or rear wheels off the ground.

FLSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@SandBucket

If you have a manual transmission, you must have the manual transmission in highest forward gear, transfer case in neutral and ignition off.

I thought any gear would work ... but this means it should be in 6th ??

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought any gear would work ... but this means it should be in 6th ??
@FLSteve

Why did I know somebody would reply and say any gear would work, etc..

Well, indeed you could use any forward gear BUT, if somehow while being flat towed the transfer case went from neutral to in gear, (anything is possible.. sure this would be rare) while you were say pulling it along at 70 mph, what forward gear would you want the JL in? You'd want the JL to be in the highest forward gear. Do I need to explain why you would not want to have it say 1st, 3rd. etc..

Wanting the manual toad in the highest possible forward gear and the transfer case in neutral has always been recommended when flat towing a Wrangler.

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Page 358 of the Owner's Manual. ANY gear is fine... you just don't want it in Nuetral.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Page 358 of the Owner's Manual. ANY gear is fine... you just don't want it in Nuetral.
Well, I'll still go with highest forward gear for the reason l mentioned. Why would you not since you have the choice....

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Pretty much impossible for the transfer case to jump into a locked position while moving. Damn thing barely will switch when you're stopped ! LOL I suppose that is why the Owner's Manual doesn't give a rat's behind what gear you use - just not Neutral.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
@CoolTech
Any particular reason the install instructions for the JL/JT Tow Harness Kit (JL18CTTOWH) aren't posted on your web site? I too would like to see the complexity or ease of install prior to purchase. I saw that FLSteve asked in post #47 for a copy with no response.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
@CoolTech
Any particular reason the install instructions for the JL/JT Tow Harness Kit (JL18CTTOWH) aren't posted on your web site? I too would like to see the complexity or ease of install prior to purchase. I saw that FLSteve asked in post #47 for a copy with no response.
FLSteve DID receive the instructions and if you email us, we can send to you as well. (I'm not clever enough to put them on the website.)
Sponsored