Sponsored

Removed my JL Sport "Euro" Bumper Pieces

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Hi all!

It was recommended I posted this in the show and tell section. I have not seen much information on this topic but am very satisfied!

During launch I read about the sport bumper/fender connection pieces and how FCA confirmed they were removable. I received my JL yesterday and I would be lying if I told you I didn't lose sleep over the thought of those ugly things. Today I was able to remove them, what do you all think? Do you think these connections should not be exposed to the elements? The bumpers were tightly connected threw 6 screws on each side but I would assume water would make it in especially at the recommended water height of 30" from the tailgate plate. What are you thoughts?

IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_4812.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG
Thinking of doing mine this weekend, any issues now that they have been off a while? You mentioned 6 screws are they all easily accessible from the tire well without taking anything else off?

Looks good
Sponsored

carrma

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Islander Edition
I want to do this to mine as well. I do have a random question - why are these on the Sports and not the Rubicons? I assume it's because the Rubis have steel bumpers and some other protection to the wires? Thanks! Mike

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Thinking of doing mine this weekend, any issues now that they have been off a while? You mentioned 6 screws are they all easily accessible from the tire well without taking anything else off?

Looks good
Mine have been off for a few months with no issues (even with aftermarket LEDs being installed)!

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler

Looks good
Everythig was pretty easy! Don’t be afraid to use some muscle it’s just plastic. Don’t forget in addition to the 6 screws per side the plastic pins! Goodluck let me know if you have any problems!

carrma

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Islander Edition
Everythig was pretty easy! Don’t be afraid to use some muscle it’s just plastic. Don’t forget in addition to the 6 screws per side the plastic pins! Goodluck let me know if you have any problems!
Pictures?

Sponsored

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
E631DB14-5621-4318-9F2C-EB1BC41314F9.png
A0EFF47C-7B49-4591-AEE0-1C90B3027819.png
Pictures?
Sorry! I forgot to update this page this is the message I’ve sent to a few PM also there is 7 screws! Whoops it’s been awhile!

Hello! Of course so you’re correct there should be 7 screws per side. After i had to remove two of those plastic pins per side (see photo below) and then I yanked and did have to use some force to get it out let me know if that helps! Or send me a photo of your progress

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
These were the second things I took off (first were the stock side steps). One note: In order to access the bottom-most screw, I found it easier to remove the plastic skid plate.

It was really simple, there are 6 or 7 pop out plastic clips and two screws on the skid plate. Afterward, both the screws and the clips go back into place.

So far so good as far as the lights go. On my JK my fog light connections were exposed (I even had anti-flicker harnesses installed) and never had an issue with rain or water fording affecting the lights.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I followed the quadratec video which had me remove the plastic air dam first. I think that made it a lot easier.

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
I took a dremel to the part and have it closed off. I have a question, I noticed Rubicon’s do not have this. Do the Rubicon’s come with that part off from factory or do they have something covered back there?

Sponsored

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I took a dremel to the part and have it closed off. I have a question, I noticed Rubicon’s do not have this. Do the Rubicon’s come with that part off from factory or do they have something covered back there?
I believe someone had posted a photo cause that’s a good question. The Sahara and Rubicon both have a cover there. It looks nicer, but I haven’t heard any reports of failed fog lights.

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
I stopped by my local dealer and looked at some Saharas and Rubicons and they are closed off and its very similar to Sport one. The difference is rather than being held by screws they are being help by clips. I think that part can be used interchangeably but I need to look up the part #. Where the clips were they are very close if not the same as where the screws are for the Sport version. Worst case you can make holes and use a washers. This might be something to look into.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The rubicon and Sahara have a different bumper altogether.

Mad Beach

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Hi all!

It was recommended I posted this in the show and tell section. I have not seen much information on this topic but am very satisfied!

During launch I read about the sport bumper/fender connection pieces and how FCA confirmed they were removable. I received my JL yesterday and I would be lying if I told you I didn't lose sleep over the thought of those ugly things. Today I was able to remove them, what do you all think? Do you think these connections should not be exposed to the elements? The bumpers were tightly connected threw 6 screws on each side but I would assume water would make it in especially at the recommended water height of 30" from the tailgate plate. What are you thoughts?

IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_4812.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

I removed mine this weekend. I live in Florida and definitely was concerned with elements getting to the lights, rain every other day thru summer and it looks like housing wires around the bulbs is not waterproof. I took a dremel tool with a general cutting bit and tightly cut around the line that meets with the back of the bumper. Was a little tricky and took my time, had to sand the edges a little in the end, but looks good now and still covers the fog light backs.
Sponsored