Sponsored

“You'll Almost Have to Buy an Electric Vehicle if Climate Bill Passes”

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I can’t wait, EV’s are better in every way except not being able to dump liquid energy into it in minutes.

Vehicle souls were already destroyed with torque management, electric steering, electric throttle, canbus, and an automatic trans in everything. If I wanted a car with a soul and I’d buy something older.

Plus off roading with doors off in EV mode is the greatest thing ever.

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
I can’t wait, EV’s are better in every way except not being able to dump liquid energy into it in minutes.

Vehicle souls were already destroyed with torque management, electric steering, electric throttle, canbus, and an automatic trans in everything. If I wanted a car with a soul and I’d buy something older.

Yep. Everything is electronically controlled now. Even opting for a manual transmission for a glimmer of mechanical enjoyment with result in your joy being being hamstrung by rev hang for emissions and shit gearing/turbos for fuel economy.

I'll be down once they offer some affordable EV's. Not luxury cars, not 1,000hp Hummers. Even the vaguely affordable ones only count if you can take full advantage of EV tax credits that are drying up rapidly.

Like you said, the only advantage to gas is quick refueling. Ideally we'd have a functional passenger rail system and could just take a train to a location outside the range of a couple recharges.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

Disagree. Nobody makes an electric truck that can compete in any way with an ICE truck if you’re using it as an actual truck, and not just the occasional Home Depot run. Not even close, and not likely anytime soon.

Run out of juice on the side of the road and your stuck for a considerable amount of time. Not so with ICE.

EV’s are considerably heavier than similar sized ICE vehicles which means they contribute more wear and tear to our already crappy roads than an ICE vehicle does.

I would also assume tires will wear faster due to the extra weight as well.

Purchase price. Again, not even close when compared to similar class ICE vehicle.

They may or may not be any better for the environment. There’s plenty of good arguments for both sides of that debate. At this point I’d say it’s a wash, so not better in that respect.

People bitch about too many electronics in modern vehicles. EV’s add more electronics on top of that.

Anything that you need to be coerced to buy by the Government (tax credits) tells me something, and it isn’t a positive.

I’m all for voluntary purchase of EV’s, and voluntary development of the technology to make them equivalent to ICE vehicles. But forcing them on us is wrong in every conceivable way.

Last edited:

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Disagree. Nobody makes an electric truck that can compete in any way with an ICE truck if you’re using it as an actual truck, and not just the occasional Home Depot run. Not even close, and not likely anytime soon.

Run out of juice on the side of the road and your stick for a considerable amount of time. Not so with ICE.

EV’s are considerably heavier then similar sized ICE vehicles which means they contribute more wear and tear to our already crappy roads than an ICE vehicle does.

I’d would also assume tires will wear faster due to the extra weight as well.

Purchase price. Again, not even close when compared to similar class ICE vehicle.

They may or may not be any better for the environment. There’s plenty of good arguments for both sides of that debate. At this point I’d say it’s a wash, so not better in that respect.

People bitch about too many electronics in modern vehicles. EV’s add more electronics on top of that.

Anything that you need to be coerced to buy by the Government (tax credits) tells me something, and it isn’t a positive.

I’m all for voluntary purchase of EV’s, and voluntary development of the technology to make them equivalent to ICE vehicles. But forcing them on us is wrong in every conceivable way.
Generally good points about heavy industries. It will likely be a minute for thetech and scale to catch up enough for EV to be a viable option in those industries.

I would offer, however, a different perspective on your government tax-credit boogie man. The gov offers tons of breaks and incentives for all sorts of stuff. And it’s not like you have to take it.

Corporations get loads of incentives for building a certain place, or a certain way, etc. people too.

Also time was the government literally gave land away just so people would move out west. I guess if we looked all gift horses in the mouth, we’d say that was a bad thing. Just another perspective. Cheers!

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
this is not true

EV’s are better for everything trucks EXCEPT towing on the highway or anything with a sustained higher speed.

The fundamental backbone of how EV’s work is minimizing energy losses while moving, and regenerative braking.

Yes when you have 300 miles of EV range because your car only needs 20hp to maintain 65mph, towing a trailer that needs 35hp to maintain 65mph, is going to kill your range.

But heavy trucks in city or suburbia, towing or not towing, EV kills gas.

Your gas vehicle simply wastes all that gas getting your rig up to speed then everytime you brake, all that precious kinetic energy is converted into heat absorbed by the brakes. An EV uses the same energy to accelerate, but recoups a lot of that kinetic energy every time you brake.

Electric will be a god send for heavy trucks as long as it doesn’t involve the highway or sustain speed operation.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
We will eventually switch to EV's for almost all vehicles. It's the most logical choice. And I and a licensed professional engineer who works for an oil company.
But as with all transitions it will be gradual, phased in, existing cars will continue to run.
Avoid hysteria and panic.
Indeed. My Jeep is practically new (Nov. 2021) and it's a 3.6L, but as of now I'm putting dollars in the piggy bank for the 2-door electric Jeep.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
It is the future and in the long run the best thing for the planet. Battery technology will continue to improve (range, recharge time, cycles, etc.) Think about today's modern ICE compared to a Ford Model A, 20hp, top speed of a whopping 40mph... I just wonder if someone has invented an undercarriage speaker system to reproduce the sound of a good exhaust... :)

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Generally good points about heavy industries. It will likely be a minute for thetech and scale to catch up enough for EV to be a viable option in those industries.

I would offer, however, a different perspective on your government tax-credit boogie man. The gov offers tons of breaks and incentives for all sorts of stuff. And it’s not like you have to take it.

Corporations get loads of incentives for building a certain place, or a certain way, etc. people too.

Also time was the government literally gave land away just so people would move out west. I guess if we looked all gift horses in the mouth, we’d say that was a bad thing. Just another perspective. Cheers!
True to an extent. When the Government
was giving away land, I don’t think they were nearly as corrupt and manipulative as they are today.

Im just of the opinion that generally if a product is ready for market, you don’t need to be incentivized to buy.

And interestingly enough, my family has 5 acres in Lucerne Valley that my grandfather bought from the Government for $50 back in the 50’s if I remember correctly. The location is so crappy that it isn’t worth a hell of a lot more than that now.

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Looks like clickbait's finally hit the forums. NOTHING in that article about reduced petroleum production, increased gas taxes or phasing out of ICEs. All it says is there will be more financial incentives for electric development, including vehicles. Sheesh.