flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why the designers made the Trail Rated badge silver, when all the other emblems and decals on my JL are black. Surprisingly, it doesn't really bother me or trigger an OCD attack, but I have some Plasti Dip left over from another project and thought it might be fun to change the badge to black.

That said, I'm just curious if folks typically apply Plasti Dip with the badge installed as-is, or prefer to remove it first. I've never applied Plasti Dip on an installed item, so I am interested in how easy it is and if anyone has some good pointers, advice, etc.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Instead of plasti-dip, I've buried all of mine.

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
As someone who has replaced this badge, I'll say it's stuck on pretty well. If you removed it, I'm not sure you'd get it attached as strongly as it is from the factory, so I'd vote to tape around it & do it that way.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@flyer92

They are easy to do in place... no need to remove. Just clean up the badge with rubbing alcohol or similar, tape off and spray multiple light coats of plasti-dip. (Let each coat dry a bit before the next coat) While you are at in do your EZ-Pass..

By the way, Forum Sponsor @Threedom has some terrific BADGE's to replace the side badge, or they can be used if you do an antenna delete or if you just want a custom design badge on the rear of the JL.

Threedom provides pre-cut 3M tape with the badges they sell. With that 3M tape the badge is stuck on there as well as the badge that was placed at the factory.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/📢-💥-threedom-custom-design-badges.88010/#post-2045196

Here is a pic of my Tread badge on the rear of my JL..
Jeep Wrangler JL Plasti-Dip Trail Rated Badge? reartreadbadge04

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who has replaced this badge, I'll say it's stuck on pretty well. If you removed it, I'm not sure you'd get it attached as strongly as it is from the factory, so I'd vote to tape around it & do it that way.
That was my thought as well....thanks. Just wondering how well you can really Plasti Dip the badge when it's installed.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think you will be ok. Just test it on just one to start with. If you screw it up, just buy another badge on eBay to replace it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I think you will be ok. Just test it on just one to start with. If you screw it up, just buy another badge on eBay to replace it.
You can't really "screw it up". Plasti-dip is removable.. Basically you peel plasti off, if you want it off after applying.. It does not mar/discolor say a badge you coat with it.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@flyer92

They are easy to do in place... no need to remove. Just clean up the badge with rubbing alcohol or similar, tape off and spray multiple light coats of plasti-dip. (Let each coat dry a bit before the next coat) While you are at in do your EZ-Pass..

By the way, Forum Sponsor @Threedom has some terrific BADGE's to replace the side badge, or they can be used if you do an antenna delete or if you just want a custom design badge on the rear of the JL.

Threedom provides pre-cut 3M tape with the badges they sell. With that 3M tape the badge is stuck on there as well as the badge that was placed at the factory.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/📢-💥-threedom-custom-design-badges.88010/#post-2045196

Here is a pic of my Tread badge on the rear of my JL..
Jeep Wrangler JL Plasti-Dip Trail Rated Badge? reartreadbadge04
Thanks...I've been watching videos of others applying Plasti Dip to installed badges on Youtube and agree that it looks pretty easy. Appreciate the recommendation for Threedom's replacement badges too, but I actually like the existing badge. Just looks a little out of place because it doesn't match the other badges and decals.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Just tape it off well and do several coats. I did both the Jeep logo and Trail Rated as well. Used a tooth pick to clean around the lettering. The badge needed nothing except cleaning a little around it is all.
Sponsored