Sponsored

ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them!

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
Here is a good view of the rear RockHard with the tire carrier installed. The tire carrier gave me a place to store my jack and I installed LED lights (tied into my reverse) in the holes for the backup sensors so I would have more light.

rear.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Here is a good view of the rear RockHard with the tire carrier installed. The tire carrier gave me a place to store my jack and I installed LED lights (tied into my reverse) in the holes for the backup sensors so I would have more light.

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! rear
Very nice! Cool idea on the reverse lights!
How has the tire carrier been holding up for you? Any rattling, etc. ?
It looks like you are still running factory tire size, correct?
Thanks very much -

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
The tire carrier is pretty straight forward, no moving parts and nothing to really rattle. I did modify the jack holder with longer tap bolts so it locks down better on the jack.
I am running stock tires and if I go up it will only be to 35's. I did add the Mopar third brake light just to gain some of the rear window space back. I also cut the third brake light wiring and added a connection farther back from the light so I did not need to take apart the third brake light every time I rotated tires. I also had to put in a longer cable to make the rear camera work. (EAG 11 feet Extension Harness for Backup Camera and Third Brake Light Fit for 2018-2020 Wrangler JL - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJ1N8DZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Currently unavailable.)

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The tire carrier is pretty straight forward, no moving parts and nothing to really rattle. I did modify the jack holder with longer tap bolts so it locks down better on the jack.
I am running stock tires and if I go up it will only be to 35's. I did add the Mopar third brake light just to gain some of the rear window space back. I also cut the third brake light wiring and added a connection farther back from the light so I did not need to take apart the third brake light every time I rotated tires. I also had to put in a longer cable to make the rear camera work. (EAG 11 feet Extension Harness for Backup Camera and Third Brake Light Fit for 2018-2020 Wrangler JL - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJ1N8DZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Currently unavailable.)
Good to know thanks very much. I am also on stock tires and won't be going bigger than 35's. If I do go to 37's some day (which I really doubt on my two door) I will deal with it then.
Good idea on the third brake light and camera extension. Thanks!

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! rear
btw - WOW! that's a lot of dust!!!

Sponsored

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Front RockHard bumper, same trip, just not as dusty. I have towing shackles installed on bumper.

front.jpg

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
My build project is weight conscious due to the very limited 2 door payload (3.6L 8AT Rubi with OEM hard top and plastic bumpers plus other options left me with 700 lbs to play with including passengers).

I replaced the plastic front bumper with the Rock Hard Aluminum Mid Width.

My plan is to leave the plastic rear bumper on, but add the following for some basic protection and recovery points. I already added the Oracle reverse lights so they solved the lack of backup lighting issue.

Maximus-3 Wrangler JL Rear Closed Tow Loops Red
https://www.rubitrux.com/maximus-3-wrangler-jl-rear-closed-tow-loops-red-jl1027rt.html

Body Armor 5136 Backbone for 2" Hitch Receiver
https://www.quadratec.com/p/body-armor/backbone

Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! 20210204_080412

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My build project is weight conscious due to the very limited 2 door payload (3.6L 8AT Rubi with OEM hard top and plastic bumpers plus other options left me with 700 lbs to play with including passengers).

My plan is to leave the plastic rear bumper on, but add the following for some basic protection and recovery points. I already added the Oracle reverse lights so they solved the lack of backup lighting issue.

https://www.rubitrux.com/maximus-3-wrangler-jl-rear-closed-tow-loops-red-jl1027rt.html

I have a pretty big ding under my right-side rear bumper from a poor dismount (ledge gave way). I do not believe a plastic bumper would of survived the hit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

20210204_080412.jpg
I have a pretty big ding under my right-side rear bumper from a poor dismount (ledge gave way). I do not believe a plastic bumper would of survived the hit.
Yeah that is why I can't leave the factory bumper. I do plan on doing some fairly serious trails this year at the Jeep jamborees. Not as crazy as we used to do with our TJ crawler, but not the lowest rated trails either so we need some protection but still need to keep the weight down.
Really leaning towards rockhard 4x4 right now, but that could change any minute.
I have a tendency to overthink my purchases... just ask my wife how much time I spent yapping on and on about colors for my new JL :CWL:

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that is why I can't leave the factory bumper. I do plan on doing some fairly serious trails this year at the Jeep jamborees. Not as crazy as we used to do with our TJ crawler, but not the lowest rated trails either so we need some protection but still need to keep the weight down.
Really leaning towards rockhard 4x4 right now, but that could change any minute.
I have a tendency to overthink my purchases... just ask my wife how much time I spent yapping on and on about colors for my new JL :CWL:
Yeah im sure at some point I will exceed the limited protection this setup will provide and wreck the plastic bumper. They go for way cheap on the board, so decision at that point will be to replace with another plastic or get an aluminum replacement.

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have much experience with the Quadratec "Brute Strength" aluminum bumpers? They look good, seem really similar to Rival (same factory?), overall seem like a decent value. Although not quite as light weight as I would like. Thoughts? Experience good or bad?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
RockHard(alum) has been handling frt. duty fine. I've flat towed over 25K too.
Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! Hi-Lift Jack mounted

I chose GenRight for rear because it is tucked in more than RockHards, and wanted high and tight. It weighs less than the plastic factory unit.
Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! GenRight rear bumper