Jeep Should be Ashamed...

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
  • The head unit is still stock (the "middle one" - 7" screen I believe)- it's the only OEM audio component in my Jeep.
  • Dash speakers are the Mopar Kicker upgrade (from a Dodge model- think it's 77KICKERAB or something like that). This was my first upgrade, and it made an immediate difference.
  • Soundbar speakers were replaced with SSV 6.5" pods (running their speakers, very happy). Alpine states the soundbar speakers are just "fillers," and they are if you stick with the small OEM speakers. With coax 6.5" speakers they become a big part of the sound- definitely worth the upgrade.
  • Knee panel speakers were replaced with Infinity 6.5" coax speakers using Metra pods. These are the most difficult speakers to upgrade, but does a great job at filling out the front sound.
  • SoundOrdnance powered subwoofer is installed under the passenger front seat. I think it's only an 8" sub, but it definitely does the trick for me.
  • Installed an Alpine KTP-445 amp (did a whole write-up, it used to be possible to make this a plug-n-play install using components from Alpine- but the harnesses are no longer available anywhere). It is definitely worth it to install this little amp (which can be placed above the glovebox or- as mine is- under the passenger seat next to my subwoofer). One of the advantages of the Alpine KTP is you do not need to wire in resistors- just hook up the speaker inputs and outputs and you're good to go. Another advantage is you can actually just draw power from your radio circuit (you'll need to install a power cable for a subwoofer- but not for this amp).
All in, I'm well under $1,000 for everything (plus about 10-16 hours combined for all the installs... a lot of that is invested in upgrading the knee panel speakers). I have a friend who has the premium Alpine system in his JL, and we both agree my system sounds as good or better. I'd say the best endorsement comes from my 26 year old- who likes his "music" unbearably loud and certifies that my current set up gets the job done. Even with the top and doors off, we can get the audio performance we want.
[/QUOTE
Did you only use the Alpine KTP amp without a PAC AMP PRO or any other pre-amp? You didn't have issues with the head until not recognizing the speakers?
Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
jimquill said:
Did you only use the Alpine KTP amp without a PAC AMP PRO or any other pre-amp? You didn't have issues with the head until not recognizing the speakers?
I just hooked the KTP directly to the speaker feeds. One of the pros of the KTP amp is- for reasons I don't fully understand- the system still recognizes all the speakers are there. You don't have to install any resistors to the line (so my guess is the amp itself still provides the necessary resistance to allow the factory HU to recognize there are speakers connected to each channel).

Reading through a number of different amp install threads it seems you usually have to either install resistors or a pre-amp module when installing most amps- not so for the KTP. BTW, my son and I just installed an Alpine iLX-W650 HU in our 2004 Ford F150 FX4- along with the KTP-450 (which is designed to attach right to the back of that HU). Works great in our Ford as well- I really like this little amp!

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
I just hooked the KTP directly to the speaker feeds. One of the pros of the KTP amp is- for reasons I don't fully understand- the system still recognizes all the speakers are there. You don't have to install any resistors to the line (so my guess is the amp itself still provides the necessary resistance to allow the factory HU to recognize there are speakers connected to each channel).

Reading through a number of different amp install threads it seems you usually have to either install resistors or a pre-amp module when installing most amps- not so for the KTP. BTW, my son and I just installed an Alpine iLX-W650 HU in our 2004 Ford F150 FX4- along with the KTP-450 (which is designed to attach right to the back of that HU). Works great in our Ford as well- I really like this little amp!
Wow! I may try that. The guys at Crutchfield talked me into getting the PAC amp pro and clarion 4 channel amp. PAC amp is like 300 with tax. I’d love to do without that! It’s crazy, some people have no issues just hooking up speaker and/or speakers + amp and others have major problems. Doesn’t seem to be much consistency.

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Has anyone with the Alpine system upgraded the soundbar with the SSV pods without adding an aftermarket amp? The pods look like they would accommodate a component system, but I'm not sure if it would be a better idea to just go with a 6.5" 2-way and a separate tweeter since that it how the factory wiring is

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone with the Alpine system upgraded the soundbar with the SSV pods without adding an aftermarket amp? The pods look like they would accommodate a component system, but I'm not sure if it would be a better idea to just go with a 6.5" 2-way and a separate tweeter since that it how the factory wiring is
I installed the SSV pods prior to installing the amp, and swapping in 6.5" speakers in place of the factory speakers (which I believe are 3.5" and 4.5") made an appreciable difference. In my case, I just went with coax 6.5" speakers (actually the ones SSV offers as part of the pod), and connected both factory feeds to the coax- which worked great for me. You can install components- there is just a bit more work to be done to install the tweeters. If you install an amp down the road, those 6.5" speakers in the bar really come to life.

Sponsored

Fluffhead

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL sport 2 door

Did you cut the wires or is there a harness? I have a ‘21 gladiator with the base head unit. Thanks

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you cut the wires or is there a harness? I have a ‘21 gladiator with the base head unit. Thanks
Here is the thread where I covered the install of the KTP amp. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/plug-and-play-amp-upgrade-to-basic-system.51309/
Unfortunately, the T-Harness I used is no longer produced by Alpine. However, if you look at the most recent posts on that thread (on page 16 of the thread), it appears someone has found a T-Harness that may work fairly well (there would still be some wiring to do, but it will keep you from having to cut into the factory wiring). Hope this helps- Pete

Fluffhead

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL sport 2 door
Here is the thread where I covered the install of the KTP amp. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/plug-and-play-amp-upgrade-to-basic-system.51309/
Unfortunately, the T-Harness I used is no longer produced by Alpine. However, if you look at the most recent posts on that thread (on page 16 of the thread), it appears someone has found a T-Harness that may work fairly well (there would still be some wiring to do, but it will keep you from having to cut into the factory wiring). Hope this helps- Pete
[/QUOTE