2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Project SWAMPCAT Swampcat

Hey Everyone!

Welcome to the build thread for Project Swampcat!! I'll update this thread periodically, but for the latest and greatest on the build, as well as our traveling adventures.

The overall build goal is a common one -- family overlanding/camping rig to support myself, the wife, and two littles on multi-day travels.

Please make comments/suggestions and ask questions (don't worry about hurting my feelings). I acquired lots of knowledge and experience during the years of upgrading and wheeling my JKU, but I don't know everything and intend to use this forum as a sounding board and idea generator.

Check out my REVKIT page for the build list --> https://revkit.com/swampcat_jeep

Jeep Wrangler JL Project SWAMPCAT swampcat lightroom photos-08485

Jeep Wrangler JL Project SWAMPCAT IMG_20190712_121718_574

Jeep Wrangler JL Project SWAMPCAT swampcat lightroom photos-08604
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlakWulf07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon JK/2018 Rubicon JLU
I like what you’re doing with your overlanding rig. I ordered my JLU Rubicon March 12th with the same specs save for the color. I’m going black despite promising myself I’d never own another one - but my JK just looks too damn good when it’s cleaned up. What kind of communications gear are you planning on putting in it?

Good luck with the build.

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I had a tough time choosing between the Granite and the Black also, haha.

I'm undecided on comms equipment. I'll definitely run a CB. I had a Cobra 75 in my JKU and I loved it, but it needed an external speaker to be heard well, and I'm not sure I want to run that on the JLUR. Plus, I think I might want a handheld CB so I can take it out of the Jeep when I'm spotting or whatever. For serious overlanding, HAM is the way to go, but I don't have my license yet and haven't done much research into what equipment I'd want to put in the Jeep for that. Any suggestions?

BlakWulf07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon JK/2018 Rubicon JLU
Yeah, I know what you mean. I went back and forth with the granite v. black. I’m trying to decide what kind of communications setup I’m going to do on my JLU. Right now I’m using a portable handheld Midlands CB/Radio https://midlandusa.com/product/75-822cb-radio/ on my JK. It’s fine but I’m thinking of going in another direction - Cobra, Motorola - but not sure if I’m going to find something worth it that doesn’t cost a fortune.

I also keep a set of Walkies under the seat and occasionally a sat phone (Globalstar GSP 1700) if I’m heading to no mans land.

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wheels/Tires came in the other day!!

IMG_20180328_131133.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Also forgot to post these goodies that have been sitting in my garage for a couple of weeks!!

IMG_20180322_174110_404.jpg

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What do y'all think about the beadlock ring bolt covers? Yay or nay?
IMG_20180404_184323_374.jpg

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Nice build, love those Rock Monsters!
In the pictures I like it with the caps better, although in person I may feel different.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
As you are aware this is all personal preference. I do not like the bolt covers. I prefer the contrast look and with the bolt covers it looks fake to me for some reason. I guess because the bolts just blend in maybe.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
"What do you all think" Seriously! What the heck do you think we think. You know they're B A$$. Looks either way great but knowing what happens in real rocks I would go with the rock rings. In fact you may have changed my wheel selection. Been planning on AEV Borlah's with rock rings. Extra c note per wheel but really at this point.....

Did you have any trouble with lug nut sizes for the JLs larger od studs?

Sponsored

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Other than transmission and body colored parts we have the identical Jeep. I hedged between silver and granite but you are going to be extremely happy. My first leather interior Jeep, first pretty loaded one, but third Rubicon. I have a test hill I climb in various manners (4Lo only, 4Lo locked, 4Lo locked and sway bar disconnect, 4Lo locked and sway bar disconnect crawling in 1st gear only with no gas...). I finally snuck away for a couple hours tonight to do it in the JLUR for the first time and it was notably superior with every test. Good luck and enjoy! Beyond thrilled with the JLUR.

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
"What do you all think" Seriously! What the heck do you think we think. You know they're B A$$. Looks either way great but knowing what happens in real rocks I would go with the rock rings. In fact you may have changed my wheel selection. Been planning on AEV Borlah's with rock rings. Extra c note per wheel but really at this point.....

Did you have any trouble with lug nut sizes for the JLs larger od studs?
- Haha, thanks! These rims don't have separate rock rings though, the 'rock ring' is integral to the rim itself. So the bolt covers in question are just little black plastic caps. Along your line of reasoning though, I think I'm gonna run them just to minimize the chance that dirt, rocks, etc will damage the threads on the studs. I'll have to check every so often though, that they're not holding water and causing rust.

- I haven't installed these yet, still waiting on the Jeep to show up. But I contacted Hutchinson before I ordered and verified that they'll work with the JL. The only outlier is whether the stock lugnuts will work or if I'll have to get an aftermarket set.

Other than transmission and body colored parts we have the identical Jeep. I hedged between silver and granite but you are going to be extremely happy. My first leather interior Jeep, first pretty loaded one, but third Rubicon. I have a test hill I climb in various manners (4Lo only, 4Lo locked, 4Lo locked and sway bar disconnect, 4Lo locked and sway bar disconnect crawling in 1st gear only with no gas...). I finally snuck away for a couple hours tonight to do it in the JLUR for the first time and it was notably superior with every test. Good luck and enjoy! Beyond thrilled with the JLUR.
Awesome!! I am beyond excited!! It seems like Granite is the most popular color, haha, just based on how many I've seen out in the wild. This will be my first Rubicon and the first vehicle I've ever custom ordered exactly the way I want it. I've always settled for what I could afford and now I can finally afford to do it right!! My JKU is the most base model you could get, no power-anything, haha! I live near the up-and-coming off-roading mecca known as Disney, Oklahoma, and I can't wait to get out there and test the JLU against the JKU performance. Keep an eye out for my review articles at www.c4x4.com.

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Starting to tease Project Swampcat over at www.c4x4.com!!!
29793089_1873118856100820_1327417551872851968_n.jpg

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
Love the wheels, hate the tires. They run notoriously small and were the worst tires Ive ever run. Didn't wear well, choppy on road. I would personally have a very hard time forking up money for a BFG product for a DD again.

But those wheels are fire!

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Love the wheels, hate the tires. They run notoriously small and were the worst tires Ive ever run. Didn't wear well, choppy on road. I would personally have a very hard time forking up money for a BFG product for a DD again.

But those wheels are fire!
Interesting... you're the first person I've had give any kind of negative feedback on the tires. All the reviews I read have raved about them. This will be my first experience with BFG tires (I ran Toyo Open Country M/Ts on my JKU), so we'll see how they perform.

Thanks for the insight!
Sponsored