Sponsored

Doors off/electrical harness - is this normal???

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
100% i cant understand what they were thinking. Clearly accountants were apart of that ...
Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have to put my door back on soon, any trick when compressing the two sections of the harness??

I assume if the pins are not aligned, will require a lot more force to compress them together?

Guess I will pay close attention and start with the rear doors.
I recommend taking the chassis side loose from the mount so you can visually align it better. Take a look at the pin side to identify any pins already bent and use something non-conductive to straighten if possible.
with the male side loose you can better feel any preliminary fitting resistance...just don’t use the white lever to force them back together.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Be sure to lift the whiteish retainer to work on the wires. See picture in next post

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Doors off/electrical harness - is this normal??? C65E3948-855D-464D-A0B4-F77409607F08

OP
OP

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
You guys think this is covered under warranty, or will they say I broke it?

Sponsored

OP
OP

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So - back from the dealer. What a joke. $890 to "fix". Saying it is not a warranty item and that I didn't line up all of the tiny pins. WTF! How do I contact Jeep Cares. These clowns also won't touch the steering issue that Jeep has acknowledged.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
So - back from the dealer. What a joke. $890 to "fix". Saying it is not a warranty item and that I didn't line up all of the tiny pins. WTF! How do I contact Jeep Cares. These clowns also won't touch the steering issue that Jeep has acknowledged.

@JeepCares

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
They probably wont do you any favors which sux. Rewiring both door harness is like 4hours of labor. Jeep should have never made that thing so fragile. You have to be super careful when putting back on. Jk was more robust. As soon as I saw that harness and the pins i said aww hell no.

OP
OP

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They probably wont do you any favors which sux. Rewiring both door harness is like 4hours of labor. Jeep should have never made that thing so fragile. You have to be super careful when putting back on. Jk was more robust. As soon as I saw that harness and the pins i said aww hell no.
I just don't get how you are supposed to "see" it. It just snaps in!

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just don't get how you are supposed to "see" it. It just snaps in!
Permanently detach the male (vehicle) end from the body mount fastener. It will make it easier to inspect the pins and straighten if needed. No need to remount.

Also be sure to look at the door ( female) side as that is what actually causes the problem. For each of the small pins there are 2 small square holes. One is for the pin and the other is for a service tool of some sort. The fragile plastic divider is easily broken and slightly distorted...that is the problem. It moves just enough to prevent the pin from being channeled into the proper slot. I had to remove a couple with a fine dental type tool to get them to accept the pin straight.

When re mating the connector do NOT use the white lever to force it together. Use light finger pinch equally on the connector ends to slowly mate the assembly. You will probably have to lightly move the white lever as it is a cam design (works great for disassemble process). It’s a learning process but has been working well for me.
You can see through a couple spots in the connector assembly to see the pin mating progress...it may help.

The driver door is the only one I have had trouble with so far...seems to be unusually common from reading multiple posts. It could be a difference in being right handed or left. The extra 5 minutes of taking your time is worth the wait.

OP
OP

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Permanently detach the male (vehicle) end from the body mount fastener. It will make it easier to inspect the pins and straighten if needed. No need to remount.

Also be sure to look at the door ( female) side as that is what actually causes the problem. For each of the small pins there are 2 small square holes. One is for the pin and the other is for a service tool of some sort. The fragile plastic divider is easily broken and slightly distorted...that is the problem. It moves just enough to prevent the pin from being channeled into the proper slot. I had to remove a couple with a fine dental type tool to get them to accept the pin straight.

When re mating the connector do NOT use the white lever to force it together. Use light finger pinch equally on the connector ends to slowly mate the assembly. You will probably have to lightly move the white lever as it is a cam design (works great for disassemble process). It’s a learning process but has been working well for me.
You can see through a couple spots in the connector assembly to see the pin mating progress...it may help.

The driver door is the only one I have had trouble with so far...seems to be unusually common from reading multiple posts. It could be a difference in being right handed or left. The extra 5 minutes of taking your time is worth the wait.
Odd. For me it as passenger door. Rears are easy. I'll take a look but this is INSANE. $900 to fix? GFY Jeep!

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it's beginners luck for me, this is my first Jeep, but no problems disconnecting/re-connecting the wire harnesses... My only issue has been forgetting to unplug the rear connectors before trying to hoist the top up to my garage ceiling... yikes...
Sponsored