Sponsored

Doors off/electrical harness - is this normal???

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
“It’s a Jeep thing”
I’ve learned to treat it like an ‘89 Sentra.
Leave everything alone and drive it as little as possible.
Sponsored

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
Well - doors back on. Now Jeep basically slams itself into auto park and isn't drivable without a series of shut offs, locks, unlocks and starts. WTF.

Also, the passenger side mirror motor no longer is working.

I had this happen to me when I did the door harness rotation "mod" you most certainly bent the pins that connect the mirrors...my guess is if your remote start wont work also...because it thinks the doors are open. (if you have that option)

The door harness is my first BIG major complaint about the new JL...been happy with everything else. That harness design is officially SHIT

OP
OP

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Is that something covered under warranty you think? I didn't bend the pin, it is actually straight as an arrow, just in my hand!

Remote start seems fine, and this parking thing seems to come and go.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I may be wrong, but the park thing probably has to do with the seatbelt. The jeep is programed to go into park if a door is open and the seatbelt is not buckled. Make sure your seatbelt is buckled.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I don't take my doors off, but if I did I would change that drivers side connector out with a Cannon plug. They are used in Aviation and made to be connected and disconnected regularly. They are also keyed to prevent misalignment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Doors off/electrical harness - is this normal??? 1200px-38999_connector_nickel-teflon

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don't take my doors off, but if I did I would change that drivers side connector out with a Cannon plug. They are used in Aviation and made to be connected and disconnected regularly. They are also keyed to prevent misalignment.

1200px-38999_connector_nickel-teflon.jpg
I know that you can source the door(female) side of the wire harness. If you can find the vehicle (male) side a bridge can be made with the connection type you show. It’s similar to the add on trailer light harness that you permanently plug into the tail light connector.

edit: thinking about it, all you need is the female side to permanently replace.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Gotta be careful with those pins. Cheap ass part for a seriously important function. FCA should hang their head in shame. Pull the doors and take it to dealership and id even implore them to fix without cost to you seeing as you used the doors on and off normally. First time i pulled mine I was shocked at how fragile the harness is.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I know that you can source the door(female) side of the wire harness. If you can find the vehicle (male) side a bridge can be made with the connection type you show. It’s similar to the add on trailer light harness that you permanently plug into the tail light connector.

edit: thinking about it, all you need is the female side to permanently replace.
I would just de-pin the Mopar connections on both sides and replace the connector entirely with a male/female Cannon plug set myself. I would use cannon plugs that have solder on pins so you don't need a Daniels pin crimping tool for the pins.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I would just de-pin the Mopar connections on both sides and replace the connector entirely with a male/female Cannon plug set myself. I would use cannon plugs that have solder on pins so you don't need a Daniels pin crimping tool for the pins.
Is thi the kind of thing an avionics tech would be able to do? I was aiming for a plug & play type solution. My skills don’t support that kind of fine work....nails are more my speed.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Is thi the kind of thing an avionics tech would be able to do? I was aiming for a plug & play type solution. My skills don’t support that kind of fine work....nails are more my speed.
Yes, if an avionics tech can't do it he's not an avionics tech. You got one handy?

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes, if an avionics tech can't do it he's not an avionics tech. You got one handy?
I think so. A bunch of them are out of work and constantly calling my BIL for spot opportunities.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Honestly if you are aware of it just be frikken careful and youll be fine. The JK connections were better but the door could swing open and dent the cowl .... every jeep has its charming features.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Have to put my door back on soon, any trick when compressing the two sections of the harness??

I assume if the pins are not aligned, will require a lot more force to compress them together?

Guess I will pay close attention and start with the rear doors.
Sponsored