Steering Box flexing when turning the wheel

swissspeed

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu unlimited and 2020 rubicon 2 door
I just received 2020 JL Rubicon, I notice the steering really got loose at 71 miles. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the steering box..... no change. I took it back again and they found that the steering box is flexing / distorting when the wheel is turned while stopped. Has anyone else seen this and do you know of a fix?
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I just received 2020 JL Rubicon, I notice the steering really got loose at 71 miles. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the steering box..... no change. I took it back again and they found that the steering box is flexing / distorting when the wheel is turned while stopped. Has anyone else seen this and do you know of a fix?
Andrew, I just looked and mine does not flex or move. 2018 Rubicon.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
OP
OP

swissspeed

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I have a stock rubicon, I am concerned that with stock tires that if it flexes under this load what will it do on the trail or if I put bigger tires on it. After dropping 50K, I think the steering box should be able to hold the stock tires..... am I wrong?
You aren't wrong. If you are planning on keeping it stock, then I would take it to the dealer to complain and have them address the issue. If you plan on putting bigger tires on at some point, then this will take care of the issue now and as well as when you put bigger tires on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

swissspeed

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You aren't wrong. If you are planning on keeping it stock, then I would take it to the dealer to complain and have them address the issue. If you plan on putting bigger tires on at some point, then this will take care of the issue now and as well as when you put bigger tires on.

Thanks I am just trying to get it to the best starting point before I start the upgrades..... plus I wonder how many people are driving around with this issue and dont know it. My belief is that if this continues to flex over time it will fail.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Thanks I am just trying to get it to the best starting point before I start the upgrades..... plus I wonder how many people are driving around with this issue and dont know it. My belief is that if this continues to flex over time it will fail.
Yeah, it all depends on what you are planning to do long term. I put the Synergy bracket in and later went with the PSC Big Bore Hydro Assist steering kit, still have the bracket, but the steering box shaft won't fit. :LOL:
Sponsored