Ursa Minor?

CM⛰

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
Has Ursa Minor shipped any JL units? I seem to remember people saying they were expecting theirs that they ordered, but that’s been over a year ago or more.
Sponsored

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Not sure yet, I have unit 10 for the JL and hopefully sometime this summer will have ours. It’s been a long wait but I think it will be very worth it:like:

OP
OP
CM⛰

CM⛰

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder why some viable alternative hasn’t “popped up”, with all the delays.

punktexas

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Ram Yamaha Santa Cruz
I wonder why some viable alternative hasn’t “popped up”, with all the delays.
There's an outfit (can't remember the name) that sells something similar but only fits a custom extended Wrangler Unlimited body. IMHO it's ridiculous. The departure angle is reduced and the one I saw had tiny bench seats in the back as if it was an RV. Going head to head with Ursa Minor with standard JLU fitment would be more profitable. They would have 1000s more potential customers vs owners of the custom extended Wrangler. All they need to do is get rid of the 6 month waiting, under cut the price and it's game on.

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I am also considering a UM top for extended road trips once I convince myself I no longer need the bi-weekly cash infusion of my job. I have been watching this forum for signs of JLU life in them, but they seem to be a bit lagging.

I would love to see an alternative in some place more central (say, Denver) to bump up the competition!

Phoenix campers north of Denver would be a good candidate since they supposedly do custom stuff anyway. They have outfitted a couple Jeeps with pop-ups over the years. If someone is looking for a UM alternative, you might shout at them to see what they might be willing to do.

https://phoenixpopup.com/

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
That thing looks good, but is shockingly expensive. Plus at 265lbs, it is not exactly light weight either.
For that money, I would just go with an alu-cab with their 270 awing.

OP
OP
CM⛰

CM⛰

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am also considering a UM top for extended road trips once I convince myself I no longer need the bi-weekly cash infusion of my job. I have been watching this forum for signs of JLU life in them, but they seem to be a bit lagging.

I would love to see an alternative in some place more central (say, Denver) to bump up the competition!

Phoenix campers north of Denver would be a good candidate since they supposedly do custom stuff anyway. They have outfitted a couple Jeeps with pop-ups over the years. If someone is looking for a UM alternative, you might shout at them to see what they might be willing to do.

https://phoenixpopup.com/
Wondering if UM has a patent that others can’t get around. The camper is basically the same as the JK. Was hoping for more of an update. Why isn’t some other company making a replacement top with pop-up tent? Seems like there is plenty of pent up demand as UM struggles to deliver units timely.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wondering if UM has a patent that others can’t get around. The camper is basically the same as the JK. Was hoping for more of an update. Why isn’t some other company making a replacement top with pop-up tent? Seems like there is plenty of pent up demand as UM struggles to deliver units timely.
Yeah... They have specifically mentioned on their website that they are hoping to ramp up better production. In this F'd up plague year I have to cut them a little slack on that . So, here's to hoping for that!
beer.gif

With the preponderance of roof top tents in the market, there are probably innovations happening there that UM could incorporate - although I've not heard the hardcore users like Chris Shontz (venture4wd) and Dan Grec (Road Chose Me) complaining about their UM much at all; both of those guys have gotten continuous, solid daily use of those things living in them for years, and that is a testament to the build, I presume!!!

UM is still the niftiest option for my projected future use should (er... when) I tell my job to pack sand... and I will be eagerly calling them unless someone comes along to wow me otherwise. Hoping their apparent quality continues to hold up!

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was another concept shown at Sema but I never heard anything about their products since

Jeep Wrangler JL Ursa Minor? 1596221514044
I had seen that pic too and it looks cool, if not copied from UM pretty closely certainly in concept... but like you I couldn't find any follow-up info, and I've not tried calling them because I am not in the actual market just yet anyway (maybe they violated the patent mentioned earlier in this thread and ceased and desisted to avoid legal issues).

I figure that when I am able to "pull the trigger", I will peruse the options at that time, and will likely call Phoenix for sure just to see what they might be willing to do. For now my sights are still set on UM... hoping that the plague passes and they can ramp up as hoped (and that nothing happens to derail my retirement... or maybe I should be hoping for that one bad day at work that puts me over the edge of declaring their collective nincompoopedness is beyond tolerance any longer... :LOL:).

OP
OP
CM⛰

CM⛰

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I wouldn't expect Ursa Minor lead times to go down anytime soon. Looks like they are making a Bronco version that might be a factory option. Guessing Ford will require some sort of guarantee on delivery time frame.

https://ursaminorvehicles.com/b30-bronco-pop-top.html

Ursa Minor works with Ford dealerships nationwide, allowing the B30 to be included with vehicle purchase and financing.

OP
OP
CM⛰

CM⛰

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't expect Ursa Minor lead times to go down anytime soon. Looks like they are making a Bronco version that might be a factory option. Guessing Ford will require some sort of guarantee on delivery time frame.

https://ursaminorvehicles.com/b30-bronco-pop-top.html
Good for them, but there is plenty of pent up demand with Jeepers. Maybe they are finally ready to scale their production and this will help Jeepers orders get filled quicker.
I’d still like to have at least one other option to look at when my time comes. Seems like a gold mine for some company.
Sponsored