Hardtop damage

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
Yesterday I forgot to open my garage door far enough to clear roof cross bars and damaged my hardtop at the drip rail...it broke a small section out about a 1/4" × 1 1/2"....
Does anyone know of any way to repair this?..ie a repair kit or filler

20200419_123358.jpg

20200419_123400.jpg
Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Remove any pieces of fiberglass that are frayed or splintered. Clean the hole with rubbing alcohol, then fill it with 5 minute epoxy. It may ooze our due to gravity so you might want to use multiple applications of epoxy. You’ll want to build a little mound of epoxy that is higher than the surrounding fiberglass. Once cured, use a sharp new razor blade (not a box cutter blade - too thick) to level the epoxy. You can also sand it, just be careful to not damage the surrounding paint.

Once it’s smooth and level to the touch you can paint it with Mopar touch-up spray made for the black textured tops.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Remove any pieces of fiberglass that are frayed or splintered. Clean the hole with rubbing alcohol, then fill it with 5 minute epoxy. It may ooze our due to gravity so you might want to use multiple applications of epoxy. You’ll want to build a little mound of epoxy that is higher than the surrounding fiberglass. Once cured, use a sharp new razor blade (not a box cutter blade - too thick) to level the epoxy. You can also sand it, just be careful to not damage the surrounding paint.

Once it’s smooth and level to the touch you can paint it with Mopar touch-up spray made for the black textured tops.
A Dremel with the right attachment works great .

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Yesterday I forgot to open my garage door far enough to clear roof cross bars and damaged my hardtop at the drip rail...it broke a small section out about a 1/4" × 1 1/2"....
Does anyone know of any way to repair this?..ie a repair kit or filler

20200419_123358.jpg

20200419_123400.jpg
Last summer my daughter backed out of the garage , without opening the door at all ! REALLY !!! WTF ! How do you do that ? :facepalm: I use this emoticon more than any other ! New garage door = $400

Last edited:

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara

You DEFINITELY slept in a Holiday Inn last night!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The epoxy repair suggestions are good. You can also take it to a body shop if your not confident. They do repairs like that all the time. I don't think it will cost much.

OP
OP
Mwags

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
Last summer my daughter backed out of the garage , without opening the door at all ! REALLY !!! WTF ! How do you do that ? :facepalm: I use this emoticon more than any other ! New garage door = $400
Its an older garage door
Its an older garage door from the 50s at my apt....It goes up but I have to push it up an extra 3 inches and clamp it before I pull in or out but I got distracted and forgot this time...

Sponsored