David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Plan to tow my JLUR behind my motorhome and would love some input on options. Have a towbar (Roadmaster Stowmaster 5k) & steel bumper option.

I'm going to assume that if I buy Roadmasters prefab unit for the JL with the steel bumper option it will be very similar to their current option (1444-1) that drops a few inches below the front bumper.

Couple of ?'s
  1. Any thoughts on how that hanging below the bumper might limit offroading, is that susceptible to being hit knowing it's much higher then most items under the Jeep?
  2. I'm going to assume that if I take the time to put it on, taking off the bumper and fitting it in I should get the winch and do it at the same time. Anyone have a towbar mount under and a Winch on the JK's?
  3. Would it just be better to go to a welder who did my XJ many years ago and see if they can get it much higher? - I'm not sure they can get any higher without loosing some of the functionality of the winch or lights.

Thoughts / Experiences?
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
If you can wait for aftermarket bumpers...there are bumpers that have welded flanges that can accommodate both D-Rings and Roadmaster towbar connectors. No need to attach below bumper brackets.

RC3

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR 392 - '20 JTR - '21 GCL
Plan to tow my JLUR behind my motorhome and would love some input on options. Have a towbar (Roadmaster Stowmaster 5k) & steel bumper option.

I'm going to assume that if I buy Roadmasters prefab unit for the JL with the steel bumper option it will be very similar to their current option (1444-1) that drops a few inches below the front bumper.

Couple of ?'s
  1. Any thoughts on how that hanging below the bumper might limit offroading, is that susceptible to being hit knowing it's much higher then most items under the Jeep?
  2. I'm going to assume that if I take the time to put it on, taking off the bumper and fitting it in I should get the winch and do it at the same time. Anyone have a towbar mount under and a Winch on the JK's?
  3. Would it just be better to go to a welder who did my XJ many years ago and see if they can get it much higher? - I'm not sure they can get any higher without loosing some of the functionality of the winch or lights.

Thoughts / Experiences?
I have been towing my JKUR for years behind my MH. I use the Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar and their MX base plate which has a removable bracket for the tow bar side and a receiver on the Jeep side. It hangs a bit below the bumper and I have hit them on rocks a few times but have had no issues with them. The brackets are very strong and solid. I am waiting for them to release the same for the JL.
20170404_140706 f.jpg 20150111_163729 f.jpg 20150111_163741.jpg 20150111_163802 f.jpg

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Several manufacturers make bumpers with ring brackets that exactly fit specific tow bars. No add-on bracket hanging below the bumper!

Reactions: RC3
OP
OP
JLUSoCal

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I have been towing my JKUR for years behind my MH. I use the Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar and their MX base plate which has a removable bracket for the tow bar side and a receiver on the Jeep side. It hangs a bit below the bumper and I have hit them on rocks a few times but have had no issues with them. The brackets are very strong and solid. I am waiting for them to release the same for the JL.
Thanks RC3! Waiting as well. I have the "other" EZ attachment but both as you noted have that 1" attachment point just different "arms" but same base plate. I will likely not need for a few months giving them time to make the baseplates.

Sponsored

cliff538

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cliff538.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Excellent info, thank you everybody. Still waiting for my Jeep delivery (late March...) I want to tow the jeep behind a MB Sprinter cargo van that we have turned into a simple camper van. Looking for options and pictures of what everybody uses for towing.

OP
OP
JLUSoCal

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Cliff538, I will tow behind my Ford e450 Class C motorhome. She's 29 feet but fairly light with no slides compared to many in that or a few feet more that are pushing their GVWR's. I've towed Honda CRV that's around 3600 pounds for years and XJ before that (roughly same as CRV). It's not theI fastest but I'm rarely in a hurry. Lots of torque in V10 but 7 mpgs while towing.

I'm guessing Jeep will be 800 - 1000lbs more with more drag from the tires. We'll see how it goes in a few months. Trying to hold off for a bit longer before going to a Class A and substantial jump in chassis at that point.

I think you have a small / light chassis with lots of torque, guessing you'll be fine and have a car to roam around in once you set up base camp.

cliff538

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cliff538.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Cliff538, I will tow behind my Ford e450 Class C motorhome. She's 29 feet but fairly light with no slides compared to many in that or a few feet more that are pushing their GVWR's. I've towed Honda CRV that's around 3600 pounds for years and XJ before that (roughly same as CRV). It's not theI fastest but I'm rarely in a hurry. Lots of torque in V10 but 7 mpgs while towing.

I'm guessing Jeep will be 800 - 1000lbs more with more drag from the tires. We'll see how it goes in a few months. Trying to hold off for a bit longer before going to a Class A and substantial jump in chassis at that point.

I think you have a small / light chassis with lots of torque, guessing you'll be fine and have a car to roam around in once you set up base camp.
JLUSoCal,

Appreciate the info! That is the plan for now. We are pretty simple campers so the Sprinter has been working out great, I've been hauling around a little Yamaha 250 on the back for exploring but excited to step up to the jeep... I've seen one other Sprinter van towing a jeep so at least somebody is doing it. Ya, lots of torque in that little diesel so pulling should be just fine. I've never towed another vehicle before (without the vehicle being on a trailer) so really looking forward to seeing pictures of how folks do it.

Gas mileage is always painful... No towing I'm getting 17-22 depending on how fast I drive and side wind. Looking forward to seeing how bad towing the jeep hits it.

Cheers!

OP
OP
JLUSoCal

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
JLUSoCal,

Appreciate the info! That is the plan for now. We are pretty simple campers so the Sprinter has been working out great, I've been hauling around a little Yamaha 250 on the back for exploring but excited to step up to the jeep... I've seen one other Sprinter van towing a jeep so at least somebody is doing it. Ya, lots of torque in that little diesel so pulling should be just fine. I've never towed another vehicle before (without the vehicle being on a trailer) so really looking forward to seeing pictures of how folks do it.

Gas mileage is always painful... No towing I'm getting 17-22 depending on how fast I drive and side wind. Looking forward to seeing how bad towing the jeep hits it.

Cheers!
Plan on getting a brake system for towing. You can't stop in a panic without assistance from the towed vehicle and it's illegal to NOT have one. Once those kick in it's much easier to stop. I have a brake buddy that works well and easy to setup. Just a thought since you said you've never towed :).

cliff538

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cliff538.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Plan on getting a brake system for towing. You can't stop in a panic without assistance from the towed vehicle and it's illegal to NOT have one. Once those kick in it's much easier to stop. I have a brake buddy that works well and easy to setup. Just a thought since you said you've never towed :).
Thank you sir!

Sponsored

RC3

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This our setup. Class A with the Ford V-10 and a Banks System (non-turbo) and I also use the Brake Buddy. I get about 7.5 - 8 MPG in the MH alone, but that drops about 1 MPG when towing the JK. The JK weighs 5850 lbs. as it sits now. I expect a little better mileage when towing the JL, since it is about 200 lbs. less from the factory and I'm planning aluminum armor all around this time instead of steel.

20160317_090556.jpg

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Tow Bar
20160318_103617.jpg

And this is my daughter (she usually rides in the HM and not on the spare). :)
20160318_151808.jpg

cliff538

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cliff538.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
This our setup. Class A with the Ford V-10 and a Banks System (non-turbo) and I also use the Brake Buddy. I get about 7.5 - 8 MPG in the MH alone, but that drops about 1 MPG when towing the JK. The JK weighs 5850 lbs. as it sits now. I expect a little better mileage when towing the JL, since it is about 200 lbs. less from the factory and I'm planning aluminum armor all around this time instead of steel.

20160317_090556.jpg

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Tow Bar
20160318_103617.jpg

And this is my daughter (she usually rides in the HM and not on the spare). :)
20160318_151808.jpg
RC3,

Thank you very much for the photos and info!! great to see a your setup.

(these PC days require one to use disclaimers, like my daughter doesn't really ride on the spare.... leave it to somebody to tell you that is reckless! LOL :cwl:)

My Sprinter van is setup to tow and has a brake system installed that I have used for trailer brakes. Is the Brake Buddy something I would install in the Jeep to work with the Sprinter tow setup?

Cheers!

Cliff

RC3

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RC3,

Thank you very much for the photos and info!! great to see a your setup.

(these PC days require one to use disclaimers, like my daughter doesn't really ride on the spare.... leave it to somebody to tell you that is reckless! LOL :cwl:)

My Sprinter van is setup to tow and has a brake system installed that I have used for trailer brakes. Is the Brake Buddy something I would install in the Jeep to work with the Sprinter tow setup?

Cheers!

Cliff
Thanks Cliff! The Brake Buddy is a device that sits on the floor of the towed vehicle (Toad), between the driver seat and pedals and operates the brake pedal independently of the tow vehicle (MH). It works on inertia, has no wiring connection to the MH, but does have a wireless receiver in the MH to monitor the operation. The BB has a self-contained 12V compressor and air tank. It uses the air in the tank to operate the toad's brake pedal when triggered by inertia, thus helping you to stop. It can easily be found on Google.

Brake Buddy2.jpg

cliff538

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cliff538.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thanks Cliff! The Brake Buddy is a device that sits on the floor of the towed vehicle (Toad), between the driver seat and pedals and operates the brake pedal independently of the tow vehicle (MH). It works on inertia, has no wiring connection to the MH, but does have a wireless receiver in the MH to monitor the operation. The BB has a self-contained 12V compressor and air tank. It uses the air in the tank to operate the toad's brake pedal when triggered by inertia, thus helping you to stop. It can easily be found on Google.

Brake Buddy2.jpg
Perfect! I'll get this figured out yet...

Cheers.

hookedtarpon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ, 2018 JL
Its been a month since the last reply here. Has anyone learned any additional options or seen other products. I am hoping companies begin production on tow bars soon!
Sponsored