Yakima Lock and Load

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
At the risk of this already being covered (my search for "yakima lock and load" turned up nothing, and I have notoriously bad mojo for search terms)... surely someone on here has some experience with the said Yakima Lock and Load system.

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima Lock and Load Yakima Lock and Load base

Anyone care to comment on it - or point me to a more useful thread?

Given our gutter mount and presuming one does not wish to bolt on a more heavy-duty platform... this Yakima platform seems like a very versatile option to tie down stuff like recovery trax, Rotopax, bikes, boards... pretty much anything that doesn't weigh too much for the gutters. Sadly, it is stoooopid expensive, as Yakima always is.

Seems a bit heavy too... maybe not a good option, but I am simply exploring options.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Same here, looking a options that I can free up some interior storage as you note with trax, roll ups and perhaps tarp.

OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same here, looking a options that I can free up some interior storage as you note with trax, roll ups and perhaps tarp.
I keep coming back to the gutter mount options because my projected usage doesn't warrant drilling the hard top for the beefy Rhino's and such. I like this Yakima thing - it is in line with said Rhino, but has the option to be gutter mounted. But it is gawdawful pricey, and weighs too much by itself (~80 lbs).

Might just settle for a basket option. Not much cheaper, but less weight. I think there are mounting options available for various things, but maybe not within the Yakima brand. I have a large Yakima box now - it is one of the bigger ones - I had it mounted on my Sportsmobile where it didn't matter for mileage or potential lift shear effects (a bugaboo of the fiberglass gutters).

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can it use gutter mounts without using crossbars? Seems like the Yakima gutter mounts don't work with this.

OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can it use gutter mounts without using crossbars? Seems like the Yakima gutter mounts don't work with this.
I don't believe so, but have no data to back up my suspicion. The attachment structure simply doesn't look like it - unless you somehow fabricated a funky round bar rig to bolt to the rack and be able to use the towers. The 1a towers are specific to the round bars, as far as I know.

Now that I think about it... I wonder about that fabrication option... hmmm...

Still... the weight is 80 lbs without anything else... that's a lot of cargo capacity removed by just the platform. A much lighter "basket" (30-45 lbs) is probably a better option for our weight-limited tops.

Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't believe so, but have no data to back up my suspicion. The attachment structure simply doesn't look like it - unless you somehow fabricated a funky round bar rig to bolt to the rack and be able to use the towers. The 1a towers are specific to the round bars, as far as I know.
Yeah that's what I was thinking while looking at it.

Still... the weight is 80 lbs without anything else... that's a lot of cargo capacity removed by just the platform. A much lighter "basket" (30-45 lbs) is probably a better option for our weight-limited tops.
Oh, somehow I missed that it's 80 lbs. That kinda kills this option, especially if it also requires a crossbar setup.

Tfluharty

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR. 1989 yj sahara
Few years late to reply but I have this rack on my JL and it's great so far. Apparently has a static load rating of over 800 lbs!
I have it mounted with their new Ribcage system.

20230602_175815.jpg

20230531_130629.jpg

20230530_193950.jpg
Sponsored