Yakima EXO —- anyone use?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I just came across the Yakima EXO “modular” cargo system. Looks like there is a hitch based “bottom” unit and then an optional “upper unit”. Looks like you can configure with cargo boxes, bike racks, table, etc. it seems that it will fit on a wrangler .......

it’s pricey as heck but I’m curious if folks use this system and what your thoughts about it are......
Sponsored

socrat2133

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Following... Thinking about making the investment. The EXO instructions say a class III hitch is required. Knowing that Jeep uses class II, despite the 2" size, I'm wondering if it's ok to use with the class II as long as I stay below the 350 tongue weight?

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Following... Thinking about making the investment. The EXO instructions say a class III hitch is required. Knowing that Jeep uses class II, despite the 2" size, I'm wondering if it's ok to use with the class II as long as I stay below the 350 tongue weight?
Hmmmm. I can’t find that reference. Link?

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Sponsored

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
What about clearance for the spare tire on the back? That might be a deal breaker on this... I like it though and was wondering if it would work.

socrat2133

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Just ordered the base from REI... figured I could return it if it doesn’t work. Will update.

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
curious as well, seems like a great modular solution. Hate to give up my Kuat though...

socrat2133

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
So unfortunately, it doesn't look like the EXO will work. Got the following reply from Yakima-

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? ts.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2F2016%2Fdefault-avatar-80
Les (Yakima Racks)
Apr 29, 2021, 9:41 PDT

HERE is the HitchFit Tips for the other products that will show what each letter corresponds to.

For the EXO SwingBase:

A: 3” minimum
B: 5.5” maximum
C: 8” maximum
D: 10” minimum
E: 1.5” minimum

Also, note we will offer a super beefy hitch extension in the Fall that is certified to work with an EXO.

Its called the Straight Shot:
We will be releasing a super beefy hitch extender called the StraightShot in late fall. It will add 7.25".

Based on my measurements, the "C" distance is 10" to clear the spare and the rear camera on my Sahara 4xe. My solution for now will be to get a hitch extension and use the EXO, but knowing the extension reduces tongue weight by 50%, I'll be limited to only using one accessory at a time (so no "TopShelf"), which kind of defeats the purpose.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So unfortunately, it doesn't look like the EXO will work. Got the following reply from Yakima-

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? ts.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2F2016%2Fdefault-avatar-80
Les (Yakima Racks)
Apr 29, 2021, 9:41 PDT

HERE is the HitchFit Tips for the other products that will show what each letter corresponds to.

For the EXO SwingBase:

A: 3” minimum
B: 5.5” maximum
C: 8” maximum
D: 10” minimum
E: 1.5” minimum

Also, note we will offer a super beefy hitch extension in the Fall that is certified to work with an EXO.

Its called the Straight Shot:
We will be releasing a super beefy hitch extender called the StraightShot in late fall. It will add 7.25".

Based on my measurements, the "C" distance is 10" to clear the spare and the rear camera on my Sahara 4xe. My solution for now will be to get a hitch extension and use the EXO, but knowing the extension reduces tongue weight by 50%, I'll be limited to only using one accessory at a time (so no "TopShelf"), which kind of defeats the purpose.
Thanks for this info. I was over at REI yesterday and they had one on display. It did not look like it would clear without an extension (just as you said). with an extension and the tongue weight reduction this is likely not going to work for me either. I wanted a cargo box and 2 bikes. 350-pounds would be more than enough. 175 pounds is probably not enough for 2 bikes (call that 50 pounds), the rack/swing base/carrier itself is likely the better part of 100+ pounds..... That leaves little for cargo.

socrat2133

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Update: So I bit the bullet and sprang for the Swing Base and Gear Locker, since I was unable to find any other viable storage solution for the 4xe with soft top. I ordered this Curt 8" hitch extender and this Rhino anti-rattle clamp. The manufacturer's instructions from Curt say not to exceed 65% of hitch capacity, which gives me 227.5 lbs to play with. The Base + Gear Locker + hitch extender adds up to about 107 lbs... plenty of capacity left over to load up the Locker (it can handle up to 100 lbs).

The challenge would start if I decided to add the TopShelf. That would add 34 lbs (so 141 total), leaving about 86 lbs for gear and accessories. That's enough to add another Locker + 58 lbs of total gear (so maybe bulky lighter stuff divided between the two Lockers?), or this table thing; but not enough for the bike rack attachment plus my two bikes, which would come to 94 lbs.

Summary:
Hitch extender + anti-rattle clamp = 15 lbs
Swing Base = 64 lbs
Gear locker = 28 lbs
TopShelf = 34 lbs
Bike rack = 38 lbs
Total = 179 lbs; leaving 48 lbs for gear and bikes (not enough for my purposes)

It's still a pretty remarkable system, and the swing out feature is perfect for the Wrangler. I'll use the single level most of the time, and switch out accessories as needed. With the weight constraints, the only reasons for me to get the TopShelf would be to add the table (expensive proposition for a table) or the ski carrier.
Photos attached.

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@socrat2133 : thanks for doing this. am I seeing correctly that your tire “hits” the hinge of the EXO such that the Jeep’s tailgate doesn’t swing fully out?

socrat2133

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
@socrat2133 : thanks for doing this. am I seeing correctly that your tire “hits” the hinge of the EXO such that the Jeep’s tailgate doesn’t swing fully out?
Yeah, I meant to call that out earlier. With the swing arm closed, the spare hits the raised sleeve that holds the TopShelf. With the swing arm open, the spare hits a "pull pin" that holds the swing arm in place when it's open. Two inches or so lower and my 32" tires would clear it. You could probably use a hitch extension with a drop to make it work, but I'm hesitant to lower the rear clearance. Not ideal, but with the swing arm open the tailgate opens enough for my purposes. We'll see how annoying that becomes over time...
Couple more photos...

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? IMG_4152

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? IMG_4153

Last edited:

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Thanks for sharing this info. You answered many questions I hadn't even thought of yet, so much appreciated. Can I ask: did you already have the Tow Package and/or 4 pin harness? Or did you just add the hitch? I saw they sold a LitKit for the Gear Locker, but didn't know if it was legally required and didn't notice it on your setup.
Sponsored