Yakima Backswing

1. fatnbald1

fatnbald1 Member

First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    I’ve searched and seen pictures that weren’t conclusive. Looking at a Yakima Backswing...anyone know if when the Backswing is installed, without a bike rack installed, will the rear gate open without having the open the Backswing first? Thanks

2. OMTBiker

OMTBiker Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    If memory serves me correctly the tire hits the handle of the Backswing, I know I had to open the locking handle but don’t remember if I had to open it, I can check in the next couple days.

fatnbald1 likes this.
  3. smuddy

smuddy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    shane
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    I have the 315/70/17 bfgs and it hits the top of the backswing and cannot be opened. However, it's not much of a pain to just swing out the backswing and then it's no problem. However, even then, it comes extremely close to another part of the backswing so if you had anything bigger, it could present a problem.

I measured, and you'd need to have a tire that was a full 2" shorter than mine to get it to clear without opening up the backswing. So, that rules out the stock 33" from the rubicon as it will be only 1" shorter, roughly. The 2nd pic shows a clearance of about 1/4" with my 315s. Note that many 315s are bigger than my 315 ko2s. Also, I don't have the upgraded steel bumper from Jeep, so that may come into play too. I had thought of getting an additional drop hitch as well, but thought there'd just be too much torque and would look goofy with the bike rack being pushed so far behind the jeep. All and all, I still think it's the best option with the way I have it using the backswing. Good luck!

20190916_103237.jpg

20190916_103305.jpg

4. InvertedLogic

InvertedLogic Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    19 JLUR
    Liked:
    When I was researching this I remember that there were issues with the handle clearing the tire. I went with the Kuat Pivot instead.

5. OP
    OP
    fatnbald1

fatnbald1 Member

First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    Looks like the Kuat Pivot V2 will be the answer once it becomes available. Thanks for the replies

6. toblerthedog

toblerthedog Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    Audi S6, Sting Gray JLUR
    Liked:
    Just out of curiosity - would you plan to get the "driver's side" or "passenger's side" swing version when available? I am leaning towards the passenger side version - but not sure it really matters.

7. OP
    OP
    fatnbald1

fatnbald1 Member

First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    Hadn’t thought of it either. Probably passenger’s side as well to offer full access from the driver’s side.

8. ColoJLRubi

ColoJLRubi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I picked up the backswing some months ago and the handle does hit the spare tire. There’s a really easy fix for that.......flip the backswing up side down. It will swing the other direction but works.

P.S...the backswing is now sitting in my garage collecting dust