Sidhu

First Name
Amandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep rubicon jl 2019,Audi A7,toyota highlander hybrid limited
CE97A169-9133-4BA8-BCC7-C034024D52DC.jpeg
❓❓I just want to know do we have a benefit of windshield damage coverage.i ordered rubicon 4 door 2019 with advance safety package.
Salesman advice me to take coverage of windshield damage from vehicle armour coz 2019 advance safety package have adaptive cruise control in windshield,when we need to replace damage windshield may be they have to calibrate adaptive cruise control sensor or radar.that is costly.any one know about this
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Sidhu

The sales guy blew smoke up you ass. Disregard what he told you.

But, yes the windshield used on the JL, is an "Acoustic" windshield. Not your typical windshield. So far, only place to get a new windshield is from Mopar. It's fairly pricey.

I'd say anyone that has a Wrangler should have no deductible or low deductible glass coverage. They would be foolish not to have.

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
I have been an insurance broker for 25 years and with the new advanced safety items being installed now utilizing camera systems, the salesman is correct. We experienced this first hand on my wife's Subaru outback. The cost of the recalibration was $225. Safelite is now doing it in our area, but prior it was a dealer only item. Not only is it more expensive, but it is also a hassle.
As far as the deductible choosing of 0 or close to 0 as possible, you should know that most carriers no consider a windshield replacement in their pricing model. All losses can be considered now in our area up to 5 years. Personally, I would find a glass shop you can establish a personal relationship with and pay cash rather than having it jack your rates up, but that is just me.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@sherrer2

You are absolutely incorrect in regard to the JL, OEM, Acoustic Windshield for the JL needing calibration / re-calibration. Totally untrue!

Why people post misinformation like you have just done, makes little sense to me.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I've replaced the windshield in my Acura RDX twice. I don't know if its the same type of technology (special camera mounted to the rear mirror area that points out the windshield-sounds like it is similar). But with my Acura, the first time I had it replaced, Safelite recommended I go to the dealer to get my camera recalibrated. It cost somewhere around $200 and took 1.5 hours, which the dealer told me upfront. The second time I got my Acuras windshield replaced, Safelite recommended the recalibration, which they could do now for around ($200-$300), they said my dealer would probably be cheaper. I never got it recalibrated, I haven't noticed a difference. They probably recommend recalibrating in case the camera gets bumped during the windshield installation. I would hope the Wranglers camera would be fine since the windshield can be lowered.

I don't know where other people are getting their information, just sharing my experience with a similar system. Perhaps they can share their source instead of just saying people are wrong.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
@sherrer2

You are absolutely incorrect in regard to the JL, OEM, Acoustic Windshield for the JL needing calibration / re-calibration. Totally untrue!

Why people post misinformation like you have just done, makes little sense to me.
It's not the windshield that needs recalibration, it's the camera and maybe radar for the adaptive cruise control. It is not an issue if you don't have the adaptive cruise control.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just re-read the original post here. The OP was posting in regard to the 2019 JL.

Indeed, the JL 2019 may have technology that may need calibration. Not sure what policy you would need .... want to cover this.

I stand corrected in my original comment that the salesman was wrong.

I was thinking 2018, and I wonder why. 8-)

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I wouldn't think a Wrangler with ACC would need to be recalibrated after windshield replacement. Most vehicles have cameras and mirrors that are stuck to the windshield, but can't do that on a Wrangler since the windshield folds down.

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
I can only speak for the insurance carriers we represent and they cover the recalibration as part of the glass claim. It could be that the Wrangler does not require it though as @robaw mentioned the Wrangler is unique with the fold down windshield.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I totally agree with @sherrer2. Anything with newer technology will potentially cost more to replace. I have a friend who owns a couple of body shops. He said a lot of the active cruise control, blind spot technology, radar, bumper sensors, etc. add a lot more cost to repairs. Parts are more expensive and some features require recalibration after part replacement. I remember seeing them recalibrating cameras after windshield replacement on certain cars. I also watched them calibrate bumper sensors on other brands.
There was also a article not long ago on this topic.

https://www.wired.com/story/active-safety-features-repair-fix-costs-aaa-report/

https://info.glass.com/windshield-replacement-calibration-adas/

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I Saw a video of the LA Auto show where they folded down the windshield. The ACC box stayed in place. It's not attached to the windshield.

OP
OP
Sidhu

Sidhu

First Name
Amandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep rubicon jl 2019,Audi A7,toyota highlander hybrid limited
I Saw a video of the LA Auto show where they folded down the windshield. The ACC box stayed in place. It's not attached to the windshield.
Oh thats gud then,my jeep is gonna shipped on dec 06 with sky one touch roof.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I wouldn't think a Wrangler with ACC would need to be recalibrated after windshield replacement. Most vehicles have cameras and mirrors that are stuck to the windshield, but can't do that on a Wrangler since the windshield folds down.
Yes, this is true, the "camera" is not attached to the windshield, it hangs from the top. There is also a plastic cover that is provided that snaps onto the "camera" to protect it when the windshield is down. Getting my windshield replaced next week, I'll figure it out..
Sponsored